GameClub Waking Mars (by Tiger Style) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2012]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Woah! This game got updated to v2.0, which features full voice acting support for all the dialog.
    Character art has been updated as well!
    So far I am really digging the voice acting and going to start a whole new game to experience this awesome game all over again! :D

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Playing this game all over again!

3. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    glad i didn't finish it!!

4. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    so I've only ever played about an hour into this game (love it, but just don't have the time!), and I'm wondering about this update. does it change a lot besides adding voice acting? should I play through once before updating? how long is the game for an average play through?

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    What kind of game is this?

6. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    exploration, kinda. you walk/fly around in caves on mars, researching plant life, trying different things to see how plants react, and uncovering interesting places. it's a relaxing game, and beautiful to boot.

7. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I think maybe six hours for every ending was my time. That's me though. They also changed the art style in the update. It's not a major difference, but the characters look painted now instead of being photo-realistic as before.

8. irelandm

irelandm New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    2 issues: One bug and one game completion ...

Hi, new to the forums. I am not actually playing the game on an iPhone, but rather on both my Android phone and on Ubuntu linux 12.10. This appears to be the most active place to get help.

First, an annoying bug/quirk. Running the game on Ubuntu Linux 12.10, I occasionally experience a game "hang," where the music continues to play, but the game becomes unresponsive (no mouse movement, etc). The only solution I have come up with so far is to drop to a TTY and "killall -9 wakingmars". I have tried running the game from the command line in order to hopefully get some debug information, but the terminal hasn't shown any details at all about the crash. Thankfully the game saves at every transition, so aside from being irritating (particularly when farming a seed or gathering compost) it hasn't been a showstopper for me.

Second, I have read on here
    regarding going to "Power Station" and speaking to the sentient there by standing on the darker-blue crystal. I have done this and have not been able to speak to the sentient. I have raised every room to 5 stars, and I think I have done pretty much everything else in the game (including breaking open the 3 pods in "The Helm" and also standing on the "lower-right" platform to cause all the shaking and rockin'n'rollin). Now, if I reload back at "The Helm" and stand by the pods, I get the decode sequence which shows a shape similar to the _thing" on the lower right platform beneath the 3 pods. If I go to the lower LEFT platform, nothing happens. From that position, I use the map to go to "Power Station" to stand on the dark-blue crystal beneath the psychedelic green 'sentient' and wait. And wait. And wait. And move to a different spot, and wait. Nothing. What am I missing?

This has been a unique, and entertaining gaming experience. Money well spent (with the Humble Android Bundle, no less). Kudos for a job well done, producing something truly original _and_ actually enjoyable to play.

9. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #529 defred34, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    I play this game a little here and there. Am about 3-4 hours in (the clock in the game however only hows 1.5 hours weirdly) and am at the start of Chapter 4. How long more do I have?

Also, by 6 hours for every ending, what do you mean?

PS: To the devs, I am disappointed the Android Humble version doesn't have voice acting like the one on my iPad. Really unfair considering you guys are doing it on Humble.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just reinstalled my favorite game of the year to check out the voice acting. Once again, and more than ever before: I'M BLOWN AWAY. This game is on par with Sword & Sworcery in terms of creativity, uniqueness, presentation and emotional involvement. More an experience than just a game. After these two games there is a huge cap and then other iOS games are appearing. Seriously... little gaming wonders.

And with the voice acting, it feels so much better. Fantastic work. Love the voices. AAA quality.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I did the same after the update... I can't help but think of Claptrap when ART (I think that's the AI's name) talks... =oP

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    What's the "new" installed size? I imagine with the voiceovers, it's quite a bit bigger.

13. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

The game only grew by about 40MB with all the voice, so it's now 291MB according to iTunes

14. SxPop

SxPop New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Feran Zoa seeds

I need Feran Zoa seeds too and I think I've destroyed all the Feran Zoa. Am I borked?

15. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    What I mean is that my in-game timer said 6 hours the first time I'd seen every ending.

16. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Okay you convinced me buying now. And it's on sale which seems like an insane deal.

17. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Is this really that good?

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nope... Not one person here knows what they're talking about, and TA staff just got into iOS gaming 2 months ago...

YES!!! GET THIS NOW!

19. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    It was a pleasure (and now, it kind of feels like a privilege) to have been a part of beta testing this game. I honestly haven't bought and played the game since I initially tested it, but I just caved and plan on re-visiting Mars again soon.