iPhone Dexter: The Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    #1 MICHAELSD, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    What was my favorite game ever available for the iPhone is officially being brought to the iPad this fall. Looking back at the 720p screenshots that were released before the iPhone version was released, the iPad version will definitely be a stunning game. I can't wait to replay the game again on my iPad. I thought Icarus Studios gave up on the very modestly-selling game a long time ago. Maybe this means we'll finally get the other 75% of the game (as three seperate apps) that Icarus Studios stated were "basically finished" a month before the game was released. An update for the iPhone 4's retina display would be stunning as well.

I'm really looking forward to this, but you could probably tell.

[​IMG]

The banner above can be found on the bottom of this site promoting a Dexter social season five promotion game for the iPhone/iPad through the scvngr app:

http://dextergameon.com/#fbid=0nJOrrKLvTp

720p screenshots from March 2009 (to give you an idea of what the iPad version will look like, the screens look great on the iPhone 4 by the way):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    Epicfrickintastic! :D

3. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Exactly what type/genre of games is this?

4. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    Action/adventure. If you've ever seen the excellent show "Dexter" on Showtime, it's basically an in-depth episode. First, you find evidence, then you stalk your victim, then you setup a kill room, then you capture your victim, then interrogate him or her to get him or her to confess, then you kill that person. You combine that with trying to balance Dexter's regular life and his serial killer killing those who escaped the law side. Conversations have full dialogue and you get multiple choices whenever you're talking. You have to make sure Dexter can keep his "mask", looking completely normal to the world. It's a pretty deep game.

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to give me the in-depth game descripted. Will be keeping my eye on this thread. :)

6. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #6 seyoon, Jul 16, 2010
    I also like this game, but as Michael posted in the iPhone thread last May, seemed like the devs just made this, milk'd as much money from it with promises of giving us 4 episodes, then abandoned it. I am quite pained by that since it's really a dark and engrossing game that just fell short and feels unfinished. With the iPhone version's pricing, I doubt this would be cheap for the iPad. I am now reluctant to support this again and will stick to the iPhone version until we hear any future developments being taken for content continuity. I'm surely hoping for that 75%, Michael. I hope Icarus will come through with their promises.

7. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    You should go on youtube and look at the iphone version. It was an amazing game :)

8. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    OMG this is awesome news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    #9 MICHAELSD, Jul 16, 2010
    FYI the game is 100% based off of the show "Dexter" on Showtime, with many of the characters voicing themselves in the game. If you want more, start from season one and try to be ready for season five when it starts September 26. You'll get a great 48 episodes, then another 12 episodes during the fall, then at least one more 12 episode season next year. At the very least watch season one and season four before September 26 before following the show or you'll learn the twists of those seasons and be lost.

I don't know how well Dexter: The Game sold. It was only on the top charts for a very short amount of time, and now it sells less than games that cost much less to develop. The high production values come at a high cost and I'm not sure if Icarus Studios saw profit in continuing rather than pursuing other projects. I'd like to see the iPad version stay on the top charts because then maybe Icarus Studios will see profit in continuing the project, maybe going further than the first season as planned.

For me, this game got me hooked on what's now my favorite TV series, so I'll continue to support it and am glad that this ambitious project was created and published as a polished app, and the App Store's arguably only original console-quality game complete with a story, deep game elements, and voice acting. I'd be hooked on the game for giving me more of a Dexter fix during the nine month hiatus between seasons. We'll see if Dexter's growing popularity leads to that because I'd love to play the old seasons on my iDevices.

Wow, that post was longer than expected, but I've become a huge Dexter fan over the last year and have been a big Apple fan, so this is great.

10. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    ;) You don't have to worry about selling the TV show to me. I've never missed a drop of blood since the pilot.

Gawd, I do wish Icarus Studios will have the resources to continue. I can imagine the Trinity Killer scenes in this game. :eek:

11. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    #11 MICHAELSD, Jul 16, 2010
    The plan was just for the game to take players through season one. The first game was a good introduction for sure as it was just the pilot episode stretched over a few, more in-depth hours. I doubt they'll go further than season one and exclusive plot lines (another promise by Icarus Studios were original victims and plotlines) if they release new content. Plus, the game was supposed to have another version for consoles and computers, and Icarus Studios is no stranger to more powerful platforms.

Could that be why the iPhone version was practically abandoned ;)? A 15 hour playable season one with exclusive content on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. Who knows. They should just give the project to TellTale Games. They actually release multiple episodes every year for series they produce. I read in an interview that Dexter was one of the adventure game developer's most requested series to create a game off of. Sure, TellTale Games isn't used to mature material, but they get the job done fairly well at least, and on time. They create five or six Sam and Max episodes every year, releasing one every month over a few months, and this is their third year. I know too much :D.

12. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    #12 MICHAELSD, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
    Hmm, a party on the top floor of a bar with 360 degree, unobstructed views of California, Dexter-themed drinks, and big celebrities from Showtime shows to promote an iPad game? That's exactly what Showtime has done over the weekend, and that was a really cool way to promote Dexter: The Game on the iPad. Could they be promoting additional "episodes" as well? Hopefully the game is being revamped well enough to deserve a great party ;). Thought you guys would find it interesting how well this iPad game is being promoted:

http://x1075lasvegas.radio.com/2010/07/23/after-hours-showtime-presents-dexter-the-game-for-ipad/

The guy who wrote the article had gotten an interview with Michael C. Hall, who plays Dexter and voices Dexter in the game. Interesting interview, but I'm hoping to find a video or screens from the iPad version. An interview with a developer asking why and whether there will be extra content as planned would be appreciated from somebody who was there. I'm sure some gaming site had to be there. Was Touch Arcade at Comic-Con? I'd assume Touch Arcade would be invited to the party if they were in the area.

EDIT: It shouldn't be long before we see the iPad version on video and possibly upcoming episodes of the game because there was a trailer for the game during Dexter's Comic-Con panel. I'm not sure if anybody can report if it was just a trailer for the iPad version or had new footage.

http://theflickcast.com/2010/07/24/sdcc10-the-dexter-panel-offers-glimpses-of-new-season/

13. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    Only a few more days/weeks to go, the iPad version is going to be released this month! Showtime has also updated the page for the iPhone game (with a banner for the iPad version) and is putting more promotion behind the game. September 13 is a good guess for an exact date since that's when the iPhone version was released. Could you contact Icarus, TouchArcade? I'm interested in some screenshots or news related to the game.

14. brendaryan12

brendaryan12 New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Dexter the Game is the killer 3D iPod Touch / iPhone game based on the Showtime Original Series. Dexter Morgan is a serial killer. Driven by his need to kill, maintaining his average-guy façade has never been easy.