Tobe & Friends Hookshot Escape

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by plasmakirby3, Oct 23, 2011.

1. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    This game is a port of a PC/Windows 7 phone game, which was originally called Tobe's Hookshot Escape. According to the devs, they will be adding new content to the game with the iOS version, including music, gameplay, and artwork. You can play the web version and find more info on their website: http://www.secretbase.com.sg/

[​IMG]

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Very excited for this. I personally found the web version to be too difficult, but I look forward to this.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I have this on Steam. It's quite a good platformer, but the controls are much more complicated than run and jump. In a way, it's more acrobatic, because not only do you have to worry about wall jumping, but ledge clinging, wall running, sliding, etc..

Part of what makes this game brilliant, is the dual-phased levels. The first part, is a leisurely descent... picking your way through the challenging platforming, and retrieving any bonuses you can find. The second part, is a mad timed dash back to the top of the level, before the place crumbles.

4. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    #4 Secret Base, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Tobe & Friends Hookshot Escape

Hi guys, Secret Base first game for the iOS is almost done, and you might have catch the trailer a couples of days back.

We're targeting to release the game soon, and while I probably should have done this much earlier, I hope it's not too late to get into the forum and get to know the community better :)

Tobe & Friends Hookshot Escape is a spin off of Tobe's Vertical Adventure we released on Steam last year. The game is a retro, endless platformer, where you'll have to survive as long as you while climbing higher and collecting treasure. There's a total of 4 characters, each with different ability and combo to spice up the game, along with 20 unlock equipments, power ups, monster and more. It's a game we've worked really hard on, and I can't wait to show more.

We're preparing materials for the release at this point, so maybe we can update the thread with some news along the way. At the mean time, check out our trailer again!

PS: High five to anyone that manage to point out which retro classic the opening pays tribute to!​

5. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Ello, just wanted to pop in here and say that your game looks really great. I am unsure as to who the tribute is for, but I cant wait to play the game either way.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    hmm looks great :) I think I saw a thread for this before, or at least I saw that video somewhere...

7. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    @epedemix Thanks for the love! The tribute wasn't on an extremely popular game, but its a good classic for me. All I can say is, it's a Genesis game, and stars a famous treasure hunter ;)

@LOLavi you probably seen it on Touch Arcade couples of days back. Unfortunately though, it was a busy day and got swipe of the front page too fast. But it was good while it last.

Or maybe it's just the iOS market in general. I mean, I made this thread 1 day ago, and now its at the bottom of page2! Amazing!

8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    color me excited!!!

9. LastWindow

LastWindow Active Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I've been looking forward to this and love Tobe's Vertical Adventure. But please tell me this doesn't use tilt controls, and if it does I hope there's more options.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @ 0:23 it shows the controls.

11. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Wow, really loving the look of this one. The intro reminded me of Indiana Jones. Can't wait to hear more about this :D

12. Kamizak3

Kamizak3 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    School, beta testing apps, learning programming
    California
    Is there any thought on iPad support for the future? :)

13. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    @LastWindow Happy to know someone who tried Vertical Adventure here! But don't worry, the game uses virtual controls, but I set it to invisible for the purpose of the trailer. It's an available option in the game too, for season players that prefer having the full screen to themselves.

@jumpman475 Close enough, but then again every treasure hunters take their cue from Indiana Jones, haha.

@Kamizak3 There's some plan for an ipad version if sales turn out to be good, but the iphone version is definitely playable on the ipad. We even have a special ipad controls set up so that the buttons weren't too far away when expanded, so there's no need for ipad users to wait on this one ;)

14. LastWindow

LastWindow Active Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Ah, thanks. I saw the arrows but figured it signified tilting.

Good to know. And hopefully people will like this enough to check out Vertical Adventure!

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    It's not QuackShot, is it?

Ah ok, I see!

Yeah, if this was tilt based, I would've probably passed.

16. Kamizak3

Kamizak3 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    School, beta testing apps, learning programming
    California
    This is still a insta-buy for me though :)

17. wolfpowpow

wolfpowpow Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Great trailer there.

18. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    EPIC HIGH FIVE!
    God, I threw in a few Quackshot reference even even in Vertical Adventure, but nobody ever pick it up.

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha, awesome!

Yeah, I thought it was Quackshot before the Indiana Jones hint, but I wasn't sure. So, I didn't make the guess. But as soon as Indiana Jones got mentioned, I was like it has to be QuackShot.

----------------------------------------------------------

Are the levels going to be randomly generated?

20. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    In celebration of your awesomeness, I present to you, Quack Shot

Yeap, all 92 set of designs for guaranteed replay value ;)