We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    if you can only buy runes with real money then there is little point to trying to charge monthly rates too, rather upsetting :/

Even if its expensive with in game currency I hope some of those items or runes can be bought and traded by the rich :p

2. Casmi

Casmi Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I was so excited about this game until I saw the monthly fee plus IAP. I would rather a little higher monthly fee with no IAP. That way every one starts on the same page and has to work toward the best of game. I can see "elitist" buying all the IAP to have the best gear then pricing the trade-able or auction house items they collect out of reach for everyone who chooses to play without IAP. That is the same thing that happens in most of the MMORPGs I have played when Gold sellers/buyers start their cycle.

3. Inhouse

Inhouse Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Italy
    This game is a little bit expensive... :/

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1224 backtothis, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    +1

I thought this was a great move by Gameloft, although it's a little on the cheap side. If I'm reading it right, it's saying you get 3 months for free..that's actually kind of disappointing if it means you get 3 months for free just by downloading the game. It's going to be another game littered with idiots if that's the case. Am I right in my interpretation? Please don't tell me it's another free game MMORPG..

Edit: The flat rate is $6.99, excellent. I just hope the iAP aren't bullshit.

5. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I just hope that ingame stuff is open for all somehow, then it will be a lot better.

6. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    It's not exspensive at all. A dollar a month? Come on people... The game is huge And costs alot to make and keep servers running then add on updates etc. I really don't know how u people can possibly think it's too expensive. Man alive! Btw the game is freaking awesome so far. Well worth 7 bucks Nd a lousy dollar a month after free time. Jeez people will never not complain.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    A buck a month is fine. The question that remains for me is how necessary and how expensive the IAPs will end up being. I would imagine that will be the primary cost for this game, but maybe that's not the case.

8. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

I don't think it's the subscription fee people are up in arms over.

It seems more likely the gold and runes as IAP are the likely culprits. People here are wondering if the game will keep real players out of reach for success, when compared to those who can afford the gold and runes cost.

The question remains can gold and runes be earned, or only purchased? If earn able, are they sparse?

Does it work like Infinity Blade IAP gold, where it's slow at first - yet gold, is frequent and definitely attainable without purchase several bloodlines in?

People want to play and not be decimated by those who've bought their way to the top.

9. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I can't agree with you more.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Am I interpreting the info correctly? Is it saying you get three months free just for downloading the game? If that's the case, my interest just went from incredibly high to zero. Not interested in playing another MMORPG with a bunch of idiots. Also, if the iAP are anything more than just cool looking items, then count me completely out. Gameloft should have had at least a $0.99 flat rate to download the game, unless I'm interpreting the price model wrong somehow.

11. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    It's 6.99 to download.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Excellent. Thank you for the reply.

13. Casmi

Casmi Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    [I don't think it's the subscription fee people are up in arms over.

It seems more likely the gold and runes as IAP are the likely culprits. People here are wondering if the game will keep real players out of reach for success, when compared to those who can afford the gold and runes cost.]

That is definitely my biggest set back. I can afford the IAP, but I don't play MMOs for that reason. I want to have to earn the equipment/skills/etc. with others that have the same goal. If people can buy their way to the top, then the get bored with no "end game" content and stop supporting the game. I have no problem with paying a monthly fee for a quality game that is continuously supported, but the decision of additional IAP is baffling to me. I understand the goal for Gameloft is to make all the money they can, however, the current game model completely turns me off.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX

15. Inhouse

Inhouse Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Italy
    Quotequotequote !!!!

16. TitanicMuncher

Apr 26, 2011
    Idea

I wonder how hard it is to get runes... and I only have $20 to spend left on my iTunes giftcard, and this game's initial cost is $7, then $3 for my monthly subscription, then who knows how much more for IAP... I think they should make servers for IAP buyers and non-IAP buyers so that everyone on the same server is equal. Cuz I don't want to play with people who buy there way to the top. What do you guys think?

17. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    ditto... TO THE EXTREME!!!!:mad:

18. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    I dint like or support iap for this game but whatever. I'm not going to skip playing this game because of it. If people want to buy their way up than it's their agenda and I could care less really. Focus on yourself and play and enjoy the game how you want and dont worry so much what others may or may not do and buy. It's Ur game so play it as u wish.

19. superzarop

superzarop Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Amen to that.

20. Casmi

Casmi Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I understand what you are saying, but in the bigger picture, IAP can kill the economy in the game making the initial leveling process horrendous for the people who choose not to use IAP. Example: Player A buys all the IAP possible and can collect crafting material at will. They then set their own price for said material, generally out of reach of people who did not purchase IAP, because they eventually will not want to by more gold through IAP. So, their source now becomes collecting gold through other players and the goods they can jack the price up on.

IAP in MMOs is like having your own printing press.