App Shopper app?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ChrisJT, Dec 19, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok guys, I've never actually used Appshopper (but heard lots about it).

This new development is disturbing though. To my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), AppShopper leads customers to the iTunes Appstore by highlighting deals. Its got hundreds of thousands of active users, and when they all swarm to a hot deal highlighted by the app, Apple takes its 30% cut.

Also, there seems to be some extra functionality in Appshopper thats missing from the appstore.

Why is Apple so heavy-handed on this? There must be more to it than what meets the eye. Do you think its because the Appshopper guys pissed Apple off or something? The reason given by Apple is just l.a.m.e.

Edit: Unless AppShopper is making money through referrals or something that violates Apple's rules, I don't see a valid reason for the ban.

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Apple finally figured out they were lazy and wants to kill the REAL workers

3. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Don't know what happened to Apple this year but pretty much everyone I know hates them.

4. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Don't understand this policy and Apple is hurting itself. Well I will keep using the app it's one of my most used apps by far. Would like to see TA write an article on this. I read that the TA app could even be in danger since it has that hot new games app slider. I don't get it Apple, it's hard to explore for apps on the new iOS AppStore app and by getting rid of these helpful tools can really hurt sales.

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Apple BETTER not take down TA

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Oh hell no! Damn right they better not!

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Apple seems to be following a mindset lately where they seem to believe that they can do anything and everything better themselves. See Apple Maps.

8. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    This is why I have a 4g and not 5 I refuse to support more to a lazy company.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha.. Apple has pretty much done whatever it wants. Since I bought Apple stuff the past few years, I've accepted that whether I agree with them or not.

10. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    This is the epitome of the iSheep phenomenon - take whatever Apple feeds you with no question. Seriously, anyone with this attitude has to change and empower themselves to know that there is life beyond Apple if you so please.

11. bititch

bititch Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    This is certainly disappointing, but not entirely unjustified. While the Appshopper app did have features that the default App Store app doesn't have, it is essentially another interface for the app store. Hopefully it can be changed so that it gets around the limitations somehow (basically removing any possible confusion with, or similarity to the official app store).

12. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    This is also my most used app. It's nice to be ble to have a wish list and then be notified when the price comes down, or to keep track of what apps I've bought, find new ones, etc...
    If anything it generates MORE income for apple.
    I would expect that the other apps would have the same problem with apples rules like appzapp.

13. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    At the moment the app works fine. I don t remove it from my device off course...

14. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Yea, I had it for a bit (still on my netbook tho) but deleted it forever ago. It works great but I just didn't use it. I still hope TA does an article about it though.

15. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I just hope that app will continue to work and not have any other issues (to those who have it already of course). This is the first and last app I use everyday, and saved me a lot of dollars.

There is always the web version, but the convenience of the app make it irreplaceable.

16. Bathplug

Bathplug Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    #36 Bathplug, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Apple rejected appshoppers latest update twice then removed the app from the store completely. It was going to be updated for the ios 5 screen.

Apple starting to really piss me off this year. iOS 6 is a crap update. Basically the windows vista of iOS updates. The App store is so slow on anything other than the iphone 5 or ipad 4. But everyone has to experience that stupid new search function that only shows 1 card at a time and you have to horizontal scroll. It slow and a poor design choice. I used to always be looking around the appstore prior to iOS 6.

Hopefully appshopper app will continue to work. Obviously its great to keep a wishlist and find deals. I mostly like to use it to keep informed of app updates. I can't keep every app on my device and I don't want them all installed on itunes. So using appshopper is a great to be notified of when your apps get updated otherwise I wouldn't know and its often made me redownload apps again due to a new update that added some cool features etc.

Hopefully appshopper can come up with a way which doesn't violate apples stupid guidelines.

17. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    If Apple put decent Wishlist functionality into the App Store (mark something to buy later or at a price drop, sync this to your account, and notify you when a price goes down), we wouldn't need AppShopper.

I guess one could argue that apps and services like AppShopper make people wait for sales instead of impulse shopping -- but you could also argue that many people will buy stuff on sale that they would not touch at full price.

I use the website more than the app anyway, but it always sucks when something useful gets pulled from the store. :mad:

18. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    I think it's important to remember - and becoming more evident this year than ever - that Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung etc are not your friends and are only interested in taking your money.

I've been guilty of buying into the Microsoft are bad/Apple are good illusion and I think a lot of people are wary if criticising them but If you're not happy with them send them feedback and complain. If there's one thing Apple hate it's an unhappy customer with a credit card.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Trying to work things out with Apple instead of making a massive public fuss about it. :)

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Good to hear that! Hope everything goes well!