HELP! HELP!! HELP!!! how to get review on my app/games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rajonbuzz, Apr 11, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know it's your game, your 'baby' so to speak but that comment above puts me off. I've read/seen devs talk about their games like that a million times before

If it was honestly one of the best games in the App Store you would have more than a few paid downloads

Problem is if you think it's the best ever you may not really bother really accepting criticism about it. That quote above just puts me off trying it

2. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    rajonbuzz your game looks like a child game with colors.May be make it black & white.

3. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

I'm glad you found my feedback helpful. I'm not sure why your free version is less addictive than the paid, but that is a poor development practice. You need to hook players as early as possible (one reason to discourage the long opening comic) and keep them in the flow as long as possible. This will help you monetize better with your free version (ads and in-app purchases) and get better reviews for both paid and free.

(As a side note, I've been assuming by 'addictive' we actually mean getting players into a flow state where they get into a deep focus and lose track of time, not the same as addiction but 'addictive' is the word game players like to say).

4. rajonbuzz

rajonbuzz Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    My game is colorful because the game is specially made for kids. But may be graphics is not that good..... I don't know. I am thinking to change the graphics. What do you think about the game play? Thank you for the reply.

5. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Paid version of my game is much better because-
    1. No ads.
    2. In the free version, I put the normal obstacles. But in the paid version, the obstacles are really interesting (Believe me.)

I said the game addictive because I feel that this game would turn a normal user to a 'gamer'. A gamer doesn't play games to pass the boring time, he manages time to sit for playing! (If you played the full version you might agreed with me)

Thank you very much! All of you are really helpful. I really appreciate your suggestion. May be my next game would avoid the problems you have mentioned!

6. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    You are right. I should reduce ads. Thank you very much!

7. Darwit

Darwit Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Your game is good.
    But not good enought for top.
    You have a lot of work to do.
    Design from games for Windows 98 will work when retro style will be on the rise, but not now.
    And opening too. I was bored.
    P.S. Do not misapprehend my critic wrong. I don't want to offend you.

8. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    The fact you keep saying the full version is so much better shows a problem you have. People will judge you on the free version (which you should expect). The average casual player will give it a couple of minutes and if bored move on to the next free download.

The paid version should be an extension of the free, not better than the free. Look at angry birds for a model between free and paid. It works because people get hooked from puzzle one.

9. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Forget this game, its not that good, move on.. Getting a few reviews is not going to pull this out of its position, and it will never get to be new again. Use what you learned and make another, slightly better game.
    Key things to learn here, are:

1. Think about the player not yourself. Many things seem like they have taken you ages to make, so the player MUST enjoy them. Like the starting pictures, that cannot be skipped. It is so tempting to assume that because something took hours to make it must be good. Or to say to yourself wow I have done this so awesome, what an achievement. So many times I have heard developers use the time they spent on something as a measure of quality. It is not, and never will be. Some things take 10 minutes to do and players love it, some things take 10 days and players hate it. From experience, I know it is so easy to become blind to this, because no one wants to feel that they just wasted 10 days of their life, so we tell ourselves how great it is and lose focus of who really matters. So disconnect yourself from your game, it's ok to make bad stuff as long as you learn from it. And always be thinking about the player.

2. New Concepts are very risky. They are hit and miss, and I think you probably missed with this one. Its not really puzzle and its not really action or fast passed. You probably would have been better making the egg move until it hits something, so swipe and it will move all the way across the screen, bit like "pudding monsters". As it is the concept seems a bit too simple. There are loads of books and courses you can do on the theory of game mechanics, well worth doing. Here is a cool video lecture from Will Wright to get you thinking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgQyq3hEPo
    The most simple way is to copy and existing concept, and then change it a bit. That way you know the core part works. Take matching gems, make it matching candy with extra bonuses. This might not be as fun as trying new concepts, so it totally depends on what is motivating you to make games.

10. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the comment. We appreciate your criticism. Do you think only the graphics of the game is not that good or the game play of the game should have been better too?

11. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you for the suggestions man. I would polish my game. I will change the icon and improve some graphics of my game. Most of the people who are answering did not say much about my game play. I think they kinda like my game play. May be the graphics, UI, loading time and ads made their impression negative about the game. Its not their fault. I just wish every played my full version of the game (I am thinking to make it free for some days) and checked it thoroughly again. Any way, thank you.

12. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You can always pull from store and release the game again to get back to the new status.

This game reminds me of a poor mans digital heist. This is a scratch game made by some kids which has some similar concepts but is lot a fun. They also have an awesome level of polish for a 320 x 240 resolution restriction.

give a try http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1215770/ (i didn't write it, but i use it as an example when I teach kids to make games in scratch)

Please stop saying you wish people would give the full version a try to see how truly fun it is and only the free version isn't fun. The free version is the bulk of your downloads the first impression people have. That has to be the most fun part.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree theres no point paying for basically fake reviews just to try and revive this dead game. Plus many people can spot fake reviews and we're not fans of them here so i wouldnt advise it

What is good is that you could create an upcoming thread, ask for beta testers to test it and get valuable non-biased feedback.

Perhaps earlier you asked friends/family to judge your game and perhaps they werent too critical.

Again earlier you seemed to honestly think this was the best game since sliced bread, problem is the other 99.9% of people didnt. You need unbiased opinions of players and not as a developer as of course you'll love it.

But users here at TA love beta testing games, its very valuable and can only improve your future games

14. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Finally we've updated both Watch out Eggy free and paid versions. Thanks to you all guys. We made huge change according to your suggestions.

What's new -
    1. Reduced irritating Ads
    2. Changed Icon.
    3. Easier tutorial.
    4. New exciting levels.

Here is the link to Watch out Eggy Free -

You can also try the paid version of Watch out Eggy. To get promo code.
    Please visit this page.

Promo code giveaway

Game play video:

15. Design by Adrian

Design by Adrian Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Mobile/Web Designer & Developer
    London / Stockholm
    I skipped page 2, so this might already have been mentioned, but Facebook's advertising scheme is very cheap and has a huge reach.

If you provide an attractive image and catching text, and a link to the App Store, surely people will click.

In terms of reviews, what matters is people's ratings on the actual App Store. The more downloads and higher rank, the higher up in the list you go. The more well-made your game is (shown by screenshots) the larger the chance for download/purchase.

Remember to target the right age/gender/region or you will waste impressions!

16. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Think I sent out about 50 codes and have 2-3 people (that I know of) checking out the game for review so it's pretty hard.

17. Design by Adrian

Design by Adrian Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Mobile/Web Designer & Developer
    London / Stockholm
    I found the video confusing. I don't understand what was going on, what kind of game it is (action? puzzle?) the tiles are rectangular, but they also make the graphics look squashed. The eggs are... funny.. I guess, but they don't fit into the digital world. I'd change the world into something comic and colourful, or change the characters into something.. spacey, like robots.

It is my personal opinion, but I think your game doesn't attract players because it looks confusing and inconsistent.

(OK, so Flappy Bird looked horribly amateurish, but at least she gameplay was evident)