Universal Saturday Morning RPG - (by Joystick Labs, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 4, 2012.

1. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The new icon is fantastic!

Maybe my rhythm tap idea will make it into a weapon minigame in a sequel or something. ;) It's definitely ambitious. Would love to relive some of those theme songs though!

Really look forward to the switchable charge, that's one of my main turnoffs gone right there.

Couple of other comments:

You have another sale. But it wasn't super-straightforward to find where to do it. I appreciate that you're not all in our face with the IAP, and I'm sure you prompt after finishing Episode 1, but you might consider making it slightly more obvious for us impulse types.

The exploration camera is at an awfully tight zoom. It feels really claustrophobic to me, especially with the pixel art (blocks good. huge blocks, not so good.) I can't get a sense of the geometry of the world I'm exploring at this level of zoom.

If there's a way to zoom out, I missed how to do it. If there's not, adding one might be nice.

2. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Any chance of a sweep the leg attack in a future EP? :D

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice :) "your the best! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down"

4. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    We added a prompt to the game that will incentivize an upfront Episode 2 purchase. We found that 90% of Episode 2 purchases happened after completing Episode 1 (we prompt for a purchase at that point) - it was definitely an issue of most people having no idea it was there. We also added an achievement for exploring the main menu - on top of that you'll earn a tiny bit of experience the first time you click on the stuff in the living room. We're hoping all of that will lead to an upswing in purchases.

Camera zoom would be an interesting thing to implement - we could definitely tinker around with the idea - it might cause an issue with how some of the levels were constructed, though.

5. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Billy is going to gain that attack for a future battle - maybe we can have Marty counter with a Crane stance. Totally serious here.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Omg! Seriously? You really are bang on the right track to making this game better and better.
    "knowing is half the battle" and you obviously know what your doing :)

7. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Never been more proud to live in Raleigh.

8. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Exactly why I'm such a huge fan. Amen.

9. krispydp

krispydp Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Just for fun suggestion

Hey Mightyrabbitjosh,

Would you consider putting an intro theme and song in a future update? I think it would fit the saturday morning cartoon era well. Great game!

10. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    The song that plays on the title screen is actually our theme song - we've had ongoing discussion with Harry Partridge (of Saturday Morning Watchmen fame) about getting an actual animated intro to go with the song; unfortunately, while Harry is interested he has always been super busy and we haven't been able to offer enough money to pull him away from other work.

11. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Some of the features we created for Episode 3 are making their way into the update. There is now moving enemies on the overworld that can be approached from behind for a sneak attack (which gives Marty the initiative in battle).

We've also changed around the enemies that you encounter in Episode 1 and repositioned some of the fights.

12. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    #292 TimEggers, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    Oh man that sounds killer!

Will enimies be "touch to engage" then? Or still initiated by a proximity of some sort?

Something I'd like to see, when getting hit with a flame thrower its almost impossible to see how well I blocked. Can that be adjusted?

Any tips on getting a SSS rating in battle? I'm level 33 and yet to do it, even after some impressive battles where I dominated. :-/

Still though, totally loving this game. Incredibly anxious to see how you guys grow the experience. I wish the best success for you guys, keep up the great work!

13. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Enemies are still proximity based, but if you approach one from behind you get a "Sneak Attack" bonus. Sneak attacks only work on moving enemies, though.

The sneak attack bonus just amplifies your multiplier to 3.0x at the start of the battle - which makes for an easy one-hit kill on some enemies.

We've gone ahead and added moving enemies to both Episode 1 and 2 for the update. They'll be slightly different experiences now.

As for getting a SSS rating, set enemy scaling to 1 and one-hit kill something - you'll get a SSS. A SSS rating requires you to defeat each enemy in a single turn. It's quite demanding - but I think you could defeat a Level 1 Lizard Man pretty easily in a single turn (or a Level 1 Billy).

14. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Oh ok. I see now, I usually charge at my first turn. Gotcha thanks.

15. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We've finalized the update and are ready to submit it to Apple! Should be out within the next week!

Here is the change list:

- Added the ability to resume episodes from tapes (you will have to option to resume or restart)
    - Added the ability to return to the overworld after a failed battle
    - Added the ability to fix the joystick to a position on the screen (stops it from following your finger)
    - Increased attack slider size and rebalanced slider difficulty
    - Player now has a choice between three different methods for charging their power
    - Default: No interaction needed to charge
    - Gauge: Time taps with a gauge to charge
    - Classic: Tap rapidly to charge
    - Increased the speed at which enemies approach Marty for battle
    - Added movement to certain enemies in Episode 1 and 2
    - Added a sneak attack bonus for triggering a battle from behind a moving enemy
    - Repositioned enemies in Episode 1
    - Added an extra enemy to Episode 1
    - Added a vending machine to the start of Episode 1
    - Fixed a bug where you could trigger a point of no return trigger unintentionally
    - Fixed a bug where stats and info would not show for episodes
    - Fixed a bug regarding the notebook tutorial
    - Fixed a bug where the "You're The Best!" achievement would not unlock
    - Fixed a bug where the "Jump Street" achievement would not unlock
    - Fixed a bug where the North Wing door in the main hall of Shadow Valley High would open before the player explored the East Wing.
    - Tweaked item balance:
    - Ruler has been nerfed and now does between 1 - 3 damage per hit
    - Tweaked enemy balance:
    - Lizard Wizards now have significantly less health
    - Skeleboar's heal frequency is lowered
    - Commander Hood's armor frequency is lowered
    - Skeleboar and Mad-Eline's scaling levels have been adjusted
    - HOOD Soldiers have been slowed drastically
    - Fixed bugs where exploration bonuses in Episode 2 were missing
    - Added a window with screenshots for Episode 2 when player has not purchased the episode
    - Added windows to suggest purchasing Episode 2 to those who have not done so
    - Added nine new GameCenter achievements

16. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Nice! Thanks guys! (Hope you didn't make it too easy)! ;)

Very excited! SMRPG rules!

17. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Tbh, I actually loved the tapping idea! It's really intuitive I guess. It gives you more of a control over how much power multiplier you can use. It didn't bother me at all!

Btw, that list looks amazing! I'm proud of these devs for pushing out this update, so they can try to please all the whiners :)

18. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    I hope that with the update the game becomes more accessible to a larger audience thus making this game and Might Rabbit Studios successful.

Who doesn't want more episodes and hopefully seasons? Sign me up! Take my money! :D

19. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Expanded the changelist:

- Added the ability to skip tutorials
    - Changed pause symbol to a wrench for in battle options menu

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC