Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by femmedragon, Dec 13, 2012.

1. femmedragon

femmedragon New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi!

I've been doing several graphics for an iphone videogame, I use Illustrator, in my imac the colors look as I want them, but when testing on iphone the colors look too dull and nothing bright, someone has any idea how to solve this problem?

I would really appreciate it,

in advance, thanks :)

2. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Color correction is weird and complicated. This is an excellent link that explains some of the difficulties involved:

gballard.net

Basically, I find the best results by making sure I work in RGB and always use the "save for web and devices" and click the "convert to sRGB" option.

-Edit-

I mostly work in Photoshop. I assume Illustrator has the same option.

3. batgirl717111

batgirl717111 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    +1 for working in an RGB color space (you should be able to see if you're working in RGB or CMYK on the little header thingy of your open document. go to file > document color mode to switch between RGB (generally for web/mobile) and CMYK (generally for print).

also, i've noticed shifts in saturation even between devices. my app's colors look spot-on on ios devices, but on the nexus one they are insanely saturated.

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Even the different generations of iOS devices have color differences. My iPhone4 looks muddy compared to my co-workers iPhone5.

5. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    The iPhone 5 has 99% aRGB colour gamut. The iPhone 4 apparently had 64%. And the iPhones had much better screens compared to the same generation iPod Touch (I believe that has changed with the new models). My iPod Touch 4th gen looks very washed out compared to my iPhone 4. So it depends greatly on which iOS device is being used.

The original poster didn't say what generation iPhone they were using. But "too dull and nothing bright" might just be solved by turning Auto-Brightness off. Everything looks dull and dim with that on.

6. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Yeah. Big ups to RGB. I admit, the only reason I used it is because it was the default setting in photoshop. :p

From what I know, it's not possible to to insure that your artwork looks how you want on every platform, but save for web and convert to sRGB seems to work ok.

7. femmedragon

femmedragon New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks a lot for the advise, I´ve already try saving in srgb, but it looks the same, I´ll try to assign Chromix iPhone profile to illustrator and see if that works, I´ll let you all know if this worked for me :)

8. femmedragon

femmedragon New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Ohh and for moonjump, i´m testing in an iphone 4, I also try the Auto-Brightness off, but no results :/ thanks anyway :)