The iPhone has too many casual games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coffinfeeder, Oct 25, 2009.

1. coffinfeeder

coffinfeeder Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    I know that a seemingly large demographic of iPhone users aren't "hardcore gamers", but I just feel like a huge disproportion of the games on the app store are just thrown together minigames for a quick profit. Why does it feel like 90% of the games are targeted towards casual gamers?

I will say that there is a decent selection of challenging, fun and longer titles- but they're more like a needle in a hay stack.

I wish that there were more companies willing to push for well-made games targeted towards the actual "gamer" crowd. Sometimes I feel like going out and buying another DS after I play a game like hybrid or dungeon hunter, knowing that I won't have another quality title like these to come around for what seems like ages.

2. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    maybe waite for command and conquer
    before you buy and ds game
    but you are right there arent many long titles

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

That's really the only thing you CAN make in order to turn a profit when you're forced to sell your games at 99¢. If you go out and buy a DS, you'll be in an entirely different league of gaming because those games can be developed on more than a shoestring budget since they sell for 30x the price.

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    more like too many puzzle games

5. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    What did you expect? The casual market is about 90% of the overall gaming market.
    The 'hardcore' market has a very narrow demographic, mostly 14-36 yr old males. The casual market appeals to everyone. The money is in the casual market, the Wii has proven that.

6. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    I think the problem with the iDevice platform is that is became a mini game platform very quickly in its life cycle because the pricing model sweet spot seems to $0.99 and $2.99.. which is truly mini game territory, quick game development... low dev cost.

I also own a DS and PSP and whilst the games cost considerably more, I am happy to pay £25 for games like Gran Turismo, Scribblenauts, Professor Layton, etc.

Would anyone pay the same price for those games on the iPhone... hell no...
    So developers have to find the fastest way to develop on the iPhone, which tends to be mobile phone ports.

There are some amazing games on the iDevices, but the fact that anyone will a semblance of programming skill can make a game so sadly quality is not always high on everyone's list.

Keep buying the quality complete games and hopefully this quick buck trend will start to fade away due to poor sales.

:D

7. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    i mean some apps like real racing could be a full ds game if it had a few more championsships
    the ds game would be 25$
    but you wouldnt have the same fun playing it with the ds controls than with the tilt control

8. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    but devs can sell more than 10 bucks on a game. its not customary but they can do it.

I think more devs should start doing this provided it is good enough quality

9. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    the iphone will never have full fledged games. maybe in the near future, if ever, but that would takes years. the only way to play full fledged games is to have emulators

10. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    but making apps is cheaper and easier , or?
    as far as i am know the software costs 200$ and you can make beta´s

11. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    but here's the thing. most game companies aren't paying attention to the iphone, so a full fledged game isnt likely. and even if there was, i would imagine the controls would be absolutely horrible

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    "The iPhone has too many casual games"

Yes, it's a phone.

13. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    and a mp4 player

14. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    most game companies? example please?

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Exactly. They are largely where it's strengths lie.

16. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    but i dont see my ipod as a mp4 player
    i see it as a mulimedia genius and i dont regret buying it

17. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    game companies that are focusing on the consoles and PC

18. Sixxes

Sixxes Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Casual games are better for phones, because you don't have to sit and play forever on-the-go. Say you were playing a game like metroid, where there are save spots in certain places. "Hey! I just beat a boss! Theirs the save point!" Beep. "Crap, I got a text. :/"

19. coffinfeeder

coffinfeeder Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Games can be made with savestates, such as dungeon hunter or zenonia.

20. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    Most devs have to pay the rent, car, eat, and support a family. If they have a dayjob, then that means they're not spending as much time with their friends and family to work on this. If you're an adult, then you know how much these things cost.