Game using ripped art

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by SpriteAttack, Feb 12, 2010.

1. SpriteAttack

SpriteAttack Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    A friend pointed me to the following link today:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heli-attack/id354125823?mt=8#100

The guys at riseuplabs have ripped our flash game HeliAttack [released in 2005 on miniclip.com and other selected sites] and used the art & gameplay and even had the nerve to keep the name HeliAttack.

I contacted apple's devprograms and asked them to remove the application.

Is there anything else I can do to get this app removed as fast as possible?

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks like customers aren't happy with the controls either. Bad reviews. And they were fans of the online version tricked into buying this.

Sorry about that.....hate when that happens. At least it hasn't been out that long. Only 3 days.

3. Wow...that is pretty blatant.

Nice art though!

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't know how they thought they could get away with that. Apple are usually pretty quick at responding to copyright claims so I wouldn't worry too much.

This is the "developers" email if you want to straighten them out: [email protected]

5. SpriteAttack

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Thanks... I hope it get's sorted quickly... It's just sad that those guys made a proper release of the game nearly impossible by wrecking the name for the iphone users.

I emailed them and posted on their facebook and youtube pages as well as requested the removal on those sites as well...

I am surprised by this incredibly blatant and stupid attempt though...

6. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Sprite Attack, will you create your port to the iPhone? It seems like you could do better then this imposter

7. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    your art looks a lot like a guy I used to know on a site called pixelation.

sorry someone ripped your stuff.

9. SpriteAttack

May 11, 2009
    Male
    dogmeat... I used to be pretty active on pixelation years back... :) had some falling out over my approach to pixel art and the need to produce game art versus the purist pixel art... ;) long time ago...

10. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I think in a case like this is Apple should take down the App (which they will do) and any money that was earned from it should go to the original developer.

It's a shame the damage has been done already...

11. mpcovcd

mpcovcd Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Hopefully you get this sorted out quickly SpriteAttack - as we (and you) all know HeliAttack is an insanely popular online game, if ported to the iPhone properly you could have a cash mine (aka. why they stole the concept in the first place).

This poses a big question though, do alot of these iPhone developers have rights to publish even some of these online games that were ported to iPhone?

12. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
  13. Amygdala

Amygdala Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Maaaan, that sucks sooo bad! I totally feel your pain.

Alongside app development, I do my own sound design and game music (cheeky advertisement: check iWillSurvive). I also do "real" music, and although it is released under creative commons, I would get so incredibly MAD if someone claimed my doings as their own.

I hope it turns out for the best, and that the imposters will be banned from iPhone development for good (if that's remotely possible).

For shame!

14. exosyphen

exosyphen Well-Known Member

Sue them.
    Seriously.

It seems that the App Store is a real scum magnet.

We also had one of our games quickly cloned. At least the didn't stole the graphics from us, and resided to stealing some if from Windows Vista.

I consider ethics to be one the largest bricks in the foundation of the my studio. We purchase stock photos even if we need something extremly basic (like a christmas tree photo for a christmas advert).

We even go to the extent of googling and random character/company/etc name whe use in a game or product.

----

Good luck with your quest!

15. SpriteAttack

May 11, 2009
    Male
    I am really surprised with the lack of action by apple... They are aware of the problem for a week now and have still not taken the game out of the store...

Obviously copyright doesn't mean anything anymore as long as apple makes money... Looking at all the ripped stuff apple is selling for thieves - eg. the mario sound board - how obvious can it get.

I am utterly disappointed in apple and their support of smaller developers. Sadly it's all about the big names and the big money.

16. exosyphen

exosyphen Well-Known Member

With shady tactics dominating the App Store more and more each day, this can't lead to a right direction.