choosing a good TA thread title

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Stroffolino, May 30, 2010.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Screenshots, trailers, gameplay... all mean nothing unless people consider your thread title interesting enough to click on it.

What makes a good/bad thread title and/or app name?

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

App name, pricing, genre.
    That's what I like most.

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    If you have a really success full game, mention that in the title.
    Gametitle, Price, By the dev of blahblah

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I prefer "[App Name] by [Developer / Company Name] ([Price])"

5. I like it when the developer lets me know it is the most addicting game ever

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Lmfao, win :D put the game title in their and the price and by the dev of...but if its one of those gay arse kiddie games or apps for kids, then idc about it :D

7. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I think for a game, it should go :
    Title (Developer) [Price]

8. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Definitely the title and developer name - that should go without saying. Also a good idea might be to say "for fans of [app]", where [app] is a relatively well-known app that appeals to the majority of the group you're marketing your app toward. That way you draw more attention to your thread, give people a basic idea of what your app is, grab the eye of fans of the other app who might not otherwise have known about yours, AND show up in the results of any searches for [app].

If you're having an introductory sale definitely mention that, and include the price if you have any space left.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The 3 points you must do, especially if you're relatively new and still unknown. I find myself clicking threads that have those 3 more often.

10. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Good ideas all. I always thought it was a bit cheesy for developers to mention someone else's game in their title, but I can see what you mean about the potential benefits.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is something I haven't been able to put a finger on... Occasionally I'll find myself drawn to an app just based on some strangeness in the title which makes me want to find out what it's all about. Some examples are "Anger of Stick" "Fruit Ninja" and "Sword and Poker" - these are just such odd combinations of words, that you almost can't help but click through to see what they are all about.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I'm not sure any of this matters- because if / when you finally come upon the correct format, you are going to have to send Devilishly Good, INSM, and goiMot for training....

:D:D

12. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Oh. Forgot to say.

ALWAYS SAY GENRE!

13. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    But I think that goes into app titles rather than thread titles. You can't name your thread differently than your app. Or it might be the spacing apart of the capital letters :confused:?

Oh and one more thing. Don't overload your title with information. When I see something like: "X2 Soccer/Football 2010 Is Out!-The Best Just Got Better:$6.99/£3.99", I just don't feel like reading the whole title and it kind of makes the thread less appealing to me. It's like that classic dilemma of saying "Frisbee" vs. "Small Plastic Disc that you Toss".

14. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Wow you guys are dull! It is a lot better to make up some outlandish story in the title and somehow explain the usage (or apologize)in the rest of the post. Does work! Takes a bit of craziness and courage but it is effective.

15. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    The best way to get people to noticed your app is through the TA front page or give out Promo codes. Personally I don't really find myself clicking on random app title threads anymore after being burned out on playing so many iPhone games, free or paid. I know some developers love to use caps and exclamation marks to get people's attention but I think it's kind of annoying.

16. Cifuang

Cifuang Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    "Just Released", or "Out Now" always makes me click them.

17. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Agreed. But, I really won't buy sometimes if I know other people got it for free.

18. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    You truly are imaginative. Mind giving us an example title for Fruit Ninja?

19. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#19 Syndicated Puzzles, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    I have never played the game before but here we go.

Fruit Ninja, no blood, no zombies just succulent messy slicing fruity fun.

Fruit Ninja forces you to slice and dice your way to victory!

In Fruit Ninja avoid the watermelon seeds they will slow down your cutting action and dull your blades!

20. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Mention boobs in the title.