How to get testers on TestFlight?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BanzaiTokyo, Dec 2, 2012.

1. BanzaiTokyo

BanzaiTokyo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    We have decided not to release any more games without thorough testing and we have joined TestFlight which seems to be the right kind of service. The group for testers is created, but the thing is that the testers will not join it on their own...
    So the question is - how do you motivate people to join your testing group and when they join how do you motivate them to do good testing?

If you are curious about our next game which will be a cute action game featuring a panda as the main character, please, feel free to join. Thanks!

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Just tell us what your game is about and that should do it.maybe give 10 dollar iTunes card to testers if they keep giving feedback. Maybe others can give ideas.

I sent a request to join also.

4. BanzaiTokyo

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks!

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Basically say beta test and testflight and you got us at hello lol

6. BanzaiTokyo

Jun 23, 2012
    Well, that's the thing. I am planning things in advance and at the moment the game is in prototype stage, not quite ready for the release even for beta testing yet. But I am very confident that this is going to be a very fun action game. You will have to trust me at this point :)

I must say "maybe give 10 dollar to testers if they keep giving feedback" is a bit vague. It is not a problem to provide some incentive, but I am looking for a way to set more straightforward conditions of getting those small prizes to avoid frustration (I should mention that I am not willing to pay anything for meaningless feedback and I am sure some people will join just to get free $10)

7. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yea gotta point....ok scratch the give gift card thing. Just give us info as the stages progress.

8. Put a post in the upcoming games forums and ask for beta testers. You'll get a lot of responses. Make sure to put up some screenshots of the games to see if they are interested.

9. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I agree on the free $10 problem
    I would give one app maybe a maximum of $2 for useful feedback though

10. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Maybe a game at a certain price like 1.99 or 99 cents.

Or just give them a fourm to full out for info

11. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, PerĂº
  12. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Here's a tip: Don't advertise for beta testing in Developer Services and Trade. Jorge et al seem to have the right idea...will try again myself sooner or later.

13. outqube

outqube Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    App Developer
    Canada
    I just got a bunch of friends to help me test it via test flight, seems to work best as you get honest feedback!

14. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, PerĂº
    People at TouchArcade where incredible kind and had a lot of great suggestions.

You may also want to check this (I have never tried it): http://thebetafamily.com

People go there to find apps to test, and developers go to post their betas and find testers.

Seems interesting.

15. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Didn't know about that. I signed up.

16. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    Unfortunately it is really hard to find good beta testers. We had the same problem with TestFlight and getting people to sign up properly. But there is actually a list of beta testers in the private dev forum here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=55229 I've never used anyone from this list before but it has been made a sticky thread for easy access so I'm assuming it does have useful information in it :)

17. Those apps they list seem kind of boring, not that they don't deserve beta testing. I only like to beta test big name titles like wimp or something where I know that I will enjoy and love to give a lot of feedback.