Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    So far, my most played game has been Uncharted. It's actually pretty good, but it definitely has a few issues. My biggest issue is the forced QTE style touch controls when meleeing- they get to be really annoying after a while. I also don't like that it doesn't run at the Vita's native resolution- it's upscaled from a lower resolution. Because of that, there is a lot of aliasing that occurs (but it's not very noticable when in bright open areas). Sony Bend didn't do a horrible job- but this game really makes me want to see what a Naughty Dog developed Uncharted game would look like on the Vita. Almost forgot- I really recommend turning up the aiming sensitivity all the way if it feels too stiff.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Nice dude! Glad to hear they didn't give you any issues, stuck/dead pixel policies are a biatch sometimes.

Not sure if it's been said before but I just learned if you push the start button + PS button you can take a screenshot. Any other tricks I don't know about?

3. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    The facebook app supports the back touch screen - was able to ripple through photos. I know, completely unimportant - but thought I'd throw it out there anyway lol.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    That's cool, I hadn't heard of that one.

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Another "trick", hold down the PS Home Button and this screen will come up:

[​IMG]

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

A few tricks for when/if you mess up your system:

I think holding down the power button for like 20 seconds force restarts it, and in the worst case you can hold the PS button, the power button and the right shoulder button when the console is off to enter a mode where you can do various things to fix your system (everything from a reboot to a restore)

7. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    how do you turn on color space and bilinear filtering? Also, how do you map controls froom the face buttons to the joystick in MGS:pW?

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Hold down on the touch screen and the options menu will come up.

9. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Thanks! They actually didn't even check the system the looked at the outside and threw it back in the box. Was really surprised....

Anyways super stardust delta is incredible! Love it :D! UMVC is also fun, except I get my ass kicked almost every match haha..

10. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    But make sure you hold it down once you've started the game! It took me about half an hour to figure out why those options weren't showing up in the main options screen...

11. I am blown away by the graphics in Wipeout 2048, BlazBlue, and even Dynasty Warriors Next. Everything looks so much better in person than they appear in videos.

Just wondering, what upcoming Vita games are people excited about? I'm mostly looking forward to Disgaea 3 and Gravity Rush, both of which I already preordered on Amazon.

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Persona 4
    Y's IV
    Final Fantasy X HD
    Motorstorm RC
    The treasures of montezuma blitz
    Call of Duty
    Tales of Innocence
    Madden NFL
    dragons crown
    retro city rampage
    gravity rush
    unit 13
    a-men

Current Library:
    Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
    Rayman Origins
    Wipeout 2048
    Virtua Tennis 4
    Touch My Katamari
    Hustle Kings
    Super Stardust Delta
    Plants VS Zombies
    Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!

13. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Sweet. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna play through Peace Walker again with this control scheme. I can't really say it's much better though.
    I'm gonna hold out for another B2G1, and I'll probably get Gravity Rush, Unit 13, and Ninja Gaiden.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Exactly. Plenty of "good" games, very few "must-have" games.

15. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Ninja gaiden is FANTASTIC!

16. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Hasn't gotten great reviews... putting me on the fence :/

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #437 dumaz1000, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    There's no such thing as a "must-have" game. I've yet to play a video game I couldn't live without. And my first gaming system was an Atari 2600, back when retail Atari games cost $50 a piece.

But in my opinion no handheld/portable device has more good games then the PSP. This is party because I basically despise every first-party Nintendo game ever made. Not a single one of those games I can stand. Mario (Party, Golf, Kart, Land, etc.) Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, They can all drop off the face of the planet, as far as I'm concerned. I own a 3DS, but they are all third party. This is all a matter of personal preference.

Midnight Club 3 DUB, the PSP port of Chinatown Wars, Vice City Stories, 3rd Birthday, Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep, Killzone, Peacewalker, both Dissidia games, The Godfather, Resistance, Pursuit Force 2, both God of War games, both Syphon Filter games, Manhunt 2, both Silent Hill games, Tomb Raider Legend, Motorstorm. This is the best collection of handheld games ever assembled.

And nobody tested out more games then me.

Juiced 2 for the PSP is the greatest arcade handheld racer ever. The console version, sadly, is nowhere near as good.

And Raw Vs. Smackdown 2011, greatest handheld wrestling game ever made.

Race Driver 2006, very possibly the greatest handheld racing sim ever.

It's all a matter of opinion.

I decided to buy Dynasty Warriors over Ninja Gaiden. I could've gone either way on that, but Dynasty Warriors Next seems better received.

18. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I never looked at the reviews. Its really good and the controls are tight. I'm pretty sure most sites gave it an 8

19. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    #439 butterbean21, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    @dumaz1000:

I agree with the fact that most games are not "must haves" although the "must haves" on my list have typically been on older systems... to name one SNES.

I never had the opportunity to play the Atari, but started gaming in the arcades in the early 80's, and my first console was the NES. I was sold after playing Super Mario Bros, and have been an avid gamer since, on all systems (a rare thing for a girl back in the day)

But I totally disagree with your opinion on the PSP, I actually think it had the worst library of games ever made. And I'm not just talking about handhelds, I'm saying in the history of consoles, and handhelds, I rarely ever played it.

Sure in the beginning during the honeymoon phase of the new system, it was so shiny, portable, and pretty, and the games looked downright amazing for it's time. But then my interest waned (like so many others, from what I've heard)

As a handheld specifically (from a hardware standpoint) I think it was a great device ,and had sooo much potential, but Sony dropped the ball big time, and a lot of the really good releases were games you could play on the PS2. Even Midnight Club 3 DUB was a great game, but from what I recall, load times were so atrocious it wasn't worth the time.

I personally love 1st party Nintendo games (with the exception of those annoying Mario party titles) I think Nintendo did an outstanding job with Mario 3D Land, and I play tested Luigi's Mansion 2 over at E3 last year, and that was a really spectacular game. Mario Kart was the typical formula with a few new additions, and the new Zelda, a port of an N64 title... but all those games are huge draws to the 3DS.

Back to the Vita, I play that system more than anything right now, and love the launch titles. So far I've played Rayman origins like mad, and Unchartered, while a bit redundant is so damn addicting, I love it. Also just purchased Katamari, and a few other titles. It's a really great system, with great launch titles.

I'm hoping Sony learns from their mistakes with the PSP and gets it right with this system. So far I think they're doing an outstanding job, and hope they keep releasing great titles!

20. Sony mentioned in an interview that they were new to the handheld market at PSP's release and did not really know how to balance out two systems (PSP and PS2) at the same time. I'm optimistic about the Vita though.