Future of the App Store? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by willzeng, Apr 10, 2012.

?

What's the future of the app store? (indie developers' view only, please)

1. The app store will fade in 3~5 years.

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. The app store will hold its current success.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. The app store will make bigger success.

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. Let me just start it with a poll. I want hear real experiences of indie developers. Others may just ignore it.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    real experience regarding the death of the app store... ooooo...kkkkk... o_O

so you have a poll with 3 assumptions.. but want real experienced facts..

hmm.. maybe i am one of the "others"

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

4. FunInfusedGames

FunInfusedGames Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    What I'm most interested is if the AppStore spreads to other devices, namely if Apple will ever have some kind of home console + controller. I don't think it'd be a far stretch.

I think success on the current AppStore as is may get more difficult as the number of developers continues to grow and more hits like Angry Birds or Draw Something come about and take up spots on the top 100 list.

5. The poll only wants to show general feelings. You can give details in the thread.

6. I don't know why someone changed the title of the thread. I do mean Death of the App Store. If anyone disagrees, he can vote the poll or reply in the thread.

I won't refer death if my paid app achieve 20+ sales per month, or free app 20+ sales per day. Is it normal for a genuine 4+ star rating app?

I didn't run any marketing campaign yet, but as I've learned elsewhere, even with a campaign, an indie app may only get a few thousand dollors, most of which are contributed to the marketing fee.

Now most people still believe the app store is a good way to do business, and continue jump into the market. And the main media and Apple still pose to be healthy in the app store. I think it's time to strip 'the empiror's new clothes'.

Though the developers' group is still expanding, the app store would eventually lose developers once they've learned the truth. And when that day comes, the app store would fall.

ps: Would you please change the title back to Death of the App Store? It represents the real attitude of the author, and he never think it's offensive to real dead things.