Touch Arcade Weekly High Score Battle

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by natedogg213, Nov 4, 2010.

?

Week 1 Game Options

1. Rogue Runner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fruit Ninja - Arcade Mode

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Doodle Jump - high score, any map

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Monster Dash

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Re-volt Survival Mode (Easy)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Phoenix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Zincous' posting of our achievement numbers gave me an idea, so hear me out and please tell me what you think.

How about having a friendly Game-center based high score competition on a weekly basis. Every week participants can vote for a Game center game that they'd like to compete on, a decision is reached on Sunday and the week long score fest starts on Monday. At the end of each week I'd post that particular game's top 5 user scores. No prizes, just for fun and some bragging rights I suppose :) Does this sound like something that any of you would be interested in?

If so, provide some feedback and suggestions and add me (GC Name = DEATHLRD) and start voting for the opening game this Monday! Keep in mind, that you may need to vote for a game and a specific mode. For example, Fruit Ninja, Arcade Mode.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    We had a group specifically for this a while ago: http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=32

But it's died off since, and wasn't Game Center specific games like your doing.

But yeah I'd be interested in doing another weekly competition. Count me in.

3. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I'm totally in. Hopefully bumping this back to the top will get some people talking.

For week 1, I vote for Rogue Runner!

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    So is the idea that you have to try and get the highest score in that week? or overall?

If it's in the week, then how will you know what their highest is that week, when they have got a higher one already ages back?

5. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Many games have weekly high score lists, so we could begin with those until we come up with another solution.

6. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Ok, Fruit Ninja Banana Mode (720+ :D).

That has weekly high scores.

7. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #7 Grubjelly, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    5,802,887 (gamecenter) in Transition in Bit.Trip Beat, just scored 10 minutes ago. I'll have to take a look at the other Game Center games, but most the highscore games seem to be either casual or endurance-related (e.g. either too long, or too luck-based to capture in a single Youtube video). I suggest including a game that has no locked modes or content after installing, since it would be out of the spirit of easy-access idevice gaming to require that people waste additional time on mindless grinding. Likewise, games that give a 1-star difficulty option should also be excluded unless the game clearly indicates relevant details on the leaderboards , since such scores or times would be impossible to validate via video or otherwise (not to mention needlessly brutal on the digits - there are always more complex alternatives).

8. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    sounds fun, I don't mind participating!

9. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    yea i'll do it but how about you make a poll so we can vote on something

10. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Sorry, I hadn't checked in lately because I thought this thread had a surprisingly early death. I am glad to see that some people are interested.

To respond to questions about weekly scores, we'll have to figure it out as we go. I am not quite sure how Gamecenter tracks it's weekly statistics - is it an arbitrary point such as Monday - Sunday, or is it just depending on when I play (e.g. I play on Thursday, so it lists it there for 7 days).

Anyways, I took some of the games mentioned and made a poll. I will also edit the initial message with participant names. You all need to send invites if you want in.

This may not be the most refined process to start, but we'll see if we can make it work.

11. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#11 Vester, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Fruit ninja!!!

If anyone can beat my score of 749 I will be surprised