OpenFeint usage VERY low??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Luke Kellett, Feb 15, 2012.

?

How many players of your game use OpenFeint?

1. < 5%

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. < 10%

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. < 25%

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. 50% or more

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yo Guys,

So I'm using OpenFeint for Unity 3d in my latest game Superflick. It just makes the who achievement and high score thing uber easy to implement and also handles all of the Game Center chit chat for me. Win win for a dev.

But I am tracking usage and it appears that less than 3% of users actually say yes to the setup prompt for OpenFeint. I am not doing cross-platform at the moment so supporting OpenFeint for such a low number appears not to be worth it.

What sort of usage figures are you guys seeing in your apps?

2. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Really, no one else has experience with this.

Is the dev usage of OpenFeint really low too?

3. IntrinsicGames

IntrinsicGames Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the breakdown is (I don't believe we're tracking that), but as a developer I do agree that there's some pretty neat things that OpenFeint introduces (beyond just the achievements/leaderboards). I'd consider how much additional time OpenFeint integration takes, versus just GameCenter, and if the additional time spent is pretty negligible, it might still be worth it even with a low percentage of users. Also of note is that OF supports all devices, not just the 3GS and higher like GameCenter does.

I think OF shines with cross platform capabilities, or when it's deeply integrated throughout the experience (like Pocket God with challenges and achievements and what not). The downsides are the heavier memory footprint and increased file size, and the fullscreen 'login' that probably annoys some users.

4. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    In terms of integration, it's actually easier than using GameCenter directly for the basic high score and achievement functions (for Unity 3d games anyways). Though I'm not really using it for anything else at the moment...

5. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm around 15% rate with Open Feint. With that said, I won't use them again, it's been far too buggy, and the next time around a base iOS target of 4.0 should be okay to hit 95%+ of the market.

6. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #6 Luke Kellett, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    Wow, 15% is way higher than me :)

What sort of game are you using it with, is it multiplatform?

7. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    When I added Openfeint to Ground Effect almost two years ago I had over 270,000 apparent users from just over a million downloads (sadly well over 900k free through FAAD) which is about 27%. I guess it's possible that some of those were people logging on through multiple accounts and some will have been pirates but an apparent 25%+ was pretty impressive. Interesting to hear how far it's dropped over two years.

What sort of figures are people seeing from GameCenter?

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  9. Speaking on the user end, it's way too easy to skip OF when you open an app. Sometimes it takes so long to connect that I just hit cancel anyways. GC integrates it smoothly.

10. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    The game is "Foozle". It's a somewhat unique take on the "remove the blocks" style game.