Gameloft releases for 2012 - what can we expect?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sanuku, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#1 Sanuku, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

We all did know that Gameloft did choose 2011 to go the Freemium Way but there had been still hope that things would go to the better in 2012....

No one would have ever considered that we haven`t seen the worst thing yet to come but today the worst Nightmare of possible all Gameloftianer become an awful Truth...

Gameloft won`t release any Premium Games in 2012

According to an article at iplayapps.de Gameloft will Release 2012 only four Kind of Games:

• Casual-Games for 0,79€ - Example : Block Breaker 3 Unlimited (AppStore)
    • Freemium-Titel for Casual-Gamer - Example : Fantasy Town (AppStore)
    • Freemium-Titel for Gamer - Example : Six-Guns (AppStore)
    • Paymium-Titel for Gamer - Example : Ganstar Rio (AppStore)

As some might already considered it 2011 that it could be the last Year of the Premium Section at Gameloft the awful Truth has shocked some Artist like The Doors and they had instantly sit down and put their thoughts into a Song called The End which is listed below...

Update: (02.17.12)

We tried to reach out to get an answer from someone at Gameloft but at the Moment every Line at the French Gameloft HQ only seem to request to buy some IAP to be able to reach their PR Department.

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    i really don't understand the "Paymium" thing at all. Their games are already humongously huge. Why would you make people waste time and money (yes, a lot of people outside of the U.S. pay for bandwidth) downloading 100s of mb just to try out a game for ten minutes (instead of having a much smaller lite version)? And it makes it impossible to track prices or sales through the iTunes Wishlist or Appshopper. All it does is make things even more difficult for the consumer.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well so much for all those interviews where they said they would go back and do a few premium games, not just freemium !!!

If they 'lightened' the freemium games a bit it wouldnt be so bad, take Six Guns, the problem is you have to buy ammo, then use so much up on a mission and then get a measley reward back which you can then 'just' afford new bullets.

If they doubled or tripled the money you got from completing a mission it wouldnt be so bad. The big issue is you're practically forced to buy bullets/IAP's over and over.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #4 backtothis, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    There's nothing wrong with paymium games. Gameloft has been making them for a long time. It's not like they can't be successful. MC3 (still in the top 120 at $6.99 after 4 months)? Gangstar 3 sold pretty well as well (freaking top 25 atm kids). Asphalt 6 (from December 2010 and still in the top 50 paid games atm)? The last time Gameloft released a premium game was Tintin (only because it was a movie tie-in), but before that, it was Rainbow Six all the back in March 2011, so this really isn't news. I've never bought an iAP in one of their paid games, and you can easily get through them without doing so. This probably means we'll be seeing a bunch of iAP-spammers/hackers once NOVA 3 is out though just like in MC3.

5. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Well, at least this will save me some money...

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I really don't mind the paymium "full game unlock" thing for a fair amount of games (maybe like 50 MB and under). It does save having to have lite and full versions. BUT I agree with what you're saying. If a game is HUGE and there are people like me that have 8 GB models, it's a royal pain-in-the-ass to make room for them to begin with.

So if you "try" a game and don't like it, this model make you hate the publishers/devs even more having to go back and undo all your shuffling around to get it to fit.

7. bry

bry New Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Belgium
    That's hardly breaking news. See www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Gameloft+news/news.asp?c=37152 from January 23rd

"Paymium" is what Gameloft has already been doing with Gangstar Rio, Modern Combat 3, Order & Chaos, 9mm etc etc.

8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Here are my thoughts in a very brief summary because I've already given long, tedious posts: anyone that likes/supports paymium isn't a real and/or traditional gamer. I just be trollin'

About the title, I like inflammatory ones. :D

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Sorry but you are wrong in this Case. It`s different if someone tells me what they are thinking might be a Trend for the Industry and when someone tells me clearly what their Plans are for 2012.

You can`t really compare those two things since they are as different as it can be.

And that`s when the iOS/Android Community started to get on the barricades? If you can`t see a Connection between that I can´t help you at all.

The Title was Breaking News: Gameloft won`t release "any" Premium Games 2012...

I don`t know why it was change since it does pretty much some up the hole thing in One Line and is pretty much what Gameloft did told the German Press the last couple of Days.

If someone had the felling that it would start a Flame War then I would ask myself why this topic is still heated that much after Months of being obviously a Problem for Gameloft while other Publisher/Developer have pretty much managed to convince their Community that it is at the End for the Good for both Sides?

How can that even be? How can be Freemium/iAP on the one Hand something Good where everyone is Happy as it can be while on the other Side you see Hundreds of Facebooks/Youtube/Forum Posts at a Publisher/Developer Page that tells them to keep this Stuff where it belongs?

I guess in the Case of Gameloft it always might be something shady because of their History with that Part of the Industry and changing that won`t be an easy Task.

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The biggest thing for me is just the inability to track IAPs prices through wishlists or other services. I used to sort of consider some Gameloft games for purchase when they went on sale (as they all inevitably do), but now the chances of that are almost zero.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I changed the thread title. Here's why:

1) It's not breaking news: Gameloft revealed that very same breakdown almost two weeks ago

2) Gameloft has been doing "paymium" for over a year now, and hasn't published a "premium-only" title in almost 6 months. Paymium itself is an unnecessary term that simply means "not leaving money on the table."

If you want to rage about industry trends, be my guest. But pretending that you have some "breaking news" is ridiculous IMO.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Paymium has been around for long as some people mentioned and I just hope MC4 will be paymium like mc3 is :)

13. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    That's OK, Gameloft isn't the go-to dev for quality games anymore, now that there are plenty of devs pushing high quality games. Really not much of a big deal, just another place for me not to spend money.

14. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    They already have released a premium paid app this year.....

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Are you talking about that Playful Minds math thing? (not sure if it's got any DLC or not, but I doubt it with that kind of a game)

IAP the way it is in MC3 is fine with me, as long as they don't let you by level ups with your money it doesen't make the game too unbalanced (the buying killstreaks thing should probably be remooved, but at that price it isn't really worth buying them anyway)

16. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Another one of these threads? Could have easily been posted in one of the countless other raging on freemium threads.

DLC has been around on full fledge consoles for a long time now. Level packs, new maps, etc have been there. Just cuz they are now on iOS is no reason to rage. There are how many billions of apps - play something else if this bothers you.

What I have seen for this type of game - and it is definitely a niche - casual, social, non competitive and to some extent impatient. Even on the Modern Combat kinds of games - the emphasis is social. People have the money to spend, they play with their friends, they rag on them, they move on. These are people that don't come to these forums (and many that actually do), that still like to play some kind of game on the go and pick these up for mindless simplicity. Check out the add me/mmo forum for a list of the games and how many active players there are there for proof that people WANT this.

We can debate this in a million threads until the cows come home and never solve what seems to a firmly rooted new genre of game. There has to be SOMETHING that makes a company switch to this model - the latest news from Zynga in the past few days was they lose x amount of money for every new player they get. How is that profitable on the surface? So there has to be something else that we just aren't seeing.