Need rec's on great multiplayer, turn-based, over-the-web iPad games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chartier, Mar 21, 2012.

1. chartier

chartier New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    People Relations, freelance tech writer
    Chicago, IL
    A friend a couple states away just got his first iPad and we're looking for one or two great multiplayer, turn-based games we can play. We're flexible on the genre and other details of the game as long as can play either with or against each other and take turns at our leisure since we're both pretty busy.

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

2. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

#2 CzarCastic, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Here are my favorite asynchronous multiplayer games for iPad:

Ascension
    -Deck-building card game with elements of Yu-Gi-Oh, Dominion and Magic the Gathering. Make sure you get the DLC as well, as it really adds a new dimension to the game.

Disc Drivin'
    -Fun turn-based arcade racing game. I always have 15-20 games going at any given time.

Carcassonne
    -Classic Euro board game that has received much praise, and for good reason. This game should be the template for which all other asynchronous games are built. Sadly, that's not the case. The DLC also adds a lot to this game as well, with more on the way. Do yourself a favor and spend the $10. There's not likely going to be a price drop ever again.

War of Words
    -Classic Scrabble gameplay with an added twist. I got tired of Words with Friends because it's the same game every time. War of Words adds powerups and multiplier tiles to the game, along with about 25 different board layouts to make the game interesting again.

Draw Something
    -Pictionary. 'Nuff said.

Ticket to Ride (and Ticket to Ride Pocket for iPhone)
    -Ticket to Ride for iPad does not have asynchronous play, which is a real shame. However, the game is probably my favorite board game on the iPad right now. It plays really well as a real-time online mulitplayer game, though, so if you're looking for a game to play together, then this could be it. Ticket to Ride Pocket (for iPhone) was recently updated with Game Center asynchronous multiplayer.

There are tons of others out there; Food Fight, Neuroshima Hex, Puerto Rico or even Battle Academy (if you're looking to go big), some of which don't have asynchronous multiplayer, but are definitely worth checking out.

Edit: Thought of another game...Poker Pals. I haven't played it very much recently, but it is a fun poker-themed game with asynchronous play.

3. VisceriousZERO

VisceriousZERO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    One of the better ones is Battle Academy, unfortunately the price point is pretty high, but its an amazing asynchronous MP Turn Based Strategy game.

4. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    #4 deckard, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Hero Academy, can't believe that one wasn't mentioned already. It's not iPad native but will be soon and works just fine on the iPad as is.

5. chartier

chartier New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    People Relations, freelance tech writer
    Chicago, IL
    These are great suggestions, thanks everyone! Now I just need to do some homework.

6. MisterNHH

MisterNHH New Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Starbase Orion

I'd highly recommend Starbase Orion as a great multiplayer online strategy game. It is basically a remake of the classic Master of Orion, extended and with a focus on multiplayer turn-based play. It plays well solo against the AI, too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starbase-orion/id438375580?mt=8

7. burn

burn Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Sys Admin
    Here's a great thread on async games.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=80742

There are a ton to choose from:
    * Disc Drivin'
    * Hero Academy
    * Poker Pals
    * Draw Something
    * Lead Wars
    * Ticket to Ride
    * UniWar
    * Carcassonne
    And the list goes on and on.....

Also remember, iPhone games work just fine on the iPad. Even though Hero Academy is iPhone-only right now, it look beautiful on the iPad. Also games like Ticket to Ride are cheaper for the iPhone (if money is a concern).

8. Ruk1234

Ruk1234 New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I love your list and wish more dev'a would employ async and beyond that make it clear in game description that it supports it! Just wanted to let you know about these games and hope you add to list. More support for async games more will be made hopefully!

Galaxy wars - online Strategy
    iTunes link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/galaxy-wars-online-strategy/id449544812?mt=8

I have been playing for a few days now, it is a space version on Stratego.
    The Async is via Game center and works very well!

Also Bocce friends ( asynchronous bocce ball game)
    It's free and a 3.99 in-app purchase to remove ads
    Link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bocce-friends/id414782227?mt=8

AMP mini bowling also is async
    This game not very good IMHO but worth mentioning.

iTunes link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amp-minibowling/id587262644?mt=8

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Another vote for Lead Wars. My favourite iOS multiplayer game ever.

10. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    nice list will check out other thread