Universal Payback² HD (by Apex Designs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    But isn't there an option to handle all with touch controls?!?!? The developer said they had implemented an all-touch based control option.

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

yep, you can change the vehicle controlls to touch only (=> so then it's all-touch), it's not the default and tilt worked fine for me, so I didn't really check before.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks. What's the size once installed? I've seen 40MB files which occupy 200MB installed... Is Payback2 one of these?

4. Der-Kleine

From what I can see it's between 43 and 44 mb installed

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, if it's good, I might consider this. I don't have any of the GTA games on my device currently mainly due to lack of space. But I can't see how this could possibly be that good of a GTA-clone with that file size. Certainly not as "open world".

Interested to hear some more impressions though.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    From Sanuku's video, comments from DerKleine and my experience with Payback 1, which I played A LOT on the GBA, I think this is not exactly like GTA, nor even Payback 1. This seems like the missions you found in Payback 1 when free roaming around the city, but without the free roaming. Yes, you can roam freely while you look for gangsters to kill, but to get to each mission you don't have to find a phone cabin in which the boss gives you the mission, you just choose it from the main menu. Then you're laid somewhere in the map and there you go: have a race, kill gangsters, etc.

I said it was instabuy, but now I don't know what to do. On one hand it seems a great idea very well suited for mobile phones: 1-2 minute missions single-player or online multiplayer which you can play when you have a few minutes to spare. On the other hand, it looks like another dual stick shooter.

One thing which can turn me towards buying it is the possibilities that generating your own missions give you, but the fact that there's no story -even a simple one like "I want to be the king of the city, let's make money"- turns me down. I'll think about it in the next few hours and read what others have to say about the game before deciding if I buy or not. One good thing is that it is a premium game. Period. No IAP nor anything similar. I appreciate that. Also the filesize. 44MB installed is just great.

7. smj

smj Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    This shouldn't be called payback 2. Its nothing like the first. Its a bunch of bot matches in small environments. It might be good in its own right, but its not a GTA style game at all.

The camera spinning all over gives me severe motion sickness. I can only play for a minute until I feel nauseous.

8. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I was going to ask about that, is there a way to set it where the camera doesn't spin around?

9. Der-Kleine

Nope. ll you can do is change the camera height.

10. Der-Kleine

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I agree with the price point, but I don't think this is comparable to any GTA, nor even Payback 1. I think smj is right: it's a bunch of bot matches in small environments. The questions that arise me are:

- How big can environments be? If there are helicopters, they should be acceptably big to fly in them.
    - How much customization does the match editor allow? If it allows the changing of many options, that would be great.
    - For how long can this game keep the interest pf the player? Yes, multiplayer is great, but how many different kind of missions are there? From the video, I see that there are races and gangster killing (both with guns and grenades), but not too many more.

And last but not least... Will the price go down next week if sales don't go well? That would give a very bad image.

I don't think you have to keep away from this game, just know what it offers.

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wow... So from these impressions I'm really dissapointed. I really enjoyed the first one back in it's time... But this... looks totally different... Oh well...

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Mmmmm, one question for those of you who can access the NZ app store: are there two different versions, one for iphone/ipod and another for ipad? In other words, isn't this a universal build?

14. Kablermo

Kablermo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. Graphics look better now, but it looks like the world is tiny and repeating, and as if there's not real free-roaming.

It appears the only thing you do is make races and shoot everyone.

Huh.

15. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Thanks,Ill pass

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks Der Kleine for the lengthy video. After seeing all the 23-24 minutes of video, I've made my mind and I will buy the game. I think I will like it. I specially like the event of "capture the flag" at the end of the video, but I guess this will depend on each of the people's likes and dislikes.

If you are on the fence of buying it or not, I suggest watching both Sanuku's and Der Kleine's videos. After that, bear in mind the following:

- This is not a story-driven game, just an event-based game.
    - If you are looking for completely free roaming as in GTA, you better go and buy GTA:CW, GTA3 or even Payback 1.
    - If you want 1-5 minutes missions without any connection (i.e.: story) between them, Payback2 can possibly be a good option for you.
    - If you like multiplayer matches, Payback2 can be a good option IF the network setting is well implemented. I can't say if it is or not mainly because I don't know, but all the MP games I've played before usually suffer some kind of lags. It would be great if this one works great on 3G/wifi.

Also, remember there is the "custom" option to prepare your own matches, which is also very cool.

After thinking about it, I believe this game has lots of potential. Yes, the graphics don't seem top-notch, but I like how they look and I don't think they're ugly. Yes, there's no story and there could have been one to link events. And of course, there's always space to improve things.

After the first "oh, no story? More a dual-stick shooter than a GTA-clone?" impression, I don't think it's a bad game. You just have to know what you're buying. Nonetheless, i'll add a new post with impressions when the game is released here in Spain and I get to play it a little bit.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Very brief update: if you play in the custom mode, the last game option is a one player mode in which you have phone cabins and you do missions just as in Payback 1. So yeah, there's also a long mode with gta-style exploration. I retract from what I said of the game being only a dual-stick shooter. It has many options, too many to check in 10 minutes. for example, you define how long the mode is by setting the time limit. I don't regret having bought the game, even though I've just played that mode for 15 minutes. And yes, it deserves being called Payback2 :)

18. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Looks interesting but I may wait to hear impressions.

19. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    What are those different options?