Universal Slayin - (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Such a great game but a little too grindy for me. I realize it is an IAP push, but that push would have still been there even with a .99 cent coin doubler.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #622 Exact-Psience, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Nah... You're not doing well in the game and you just decide it's too grindy coz there's IAP. :p

There isnt any doublers existing in the game, and i have played the game from scratch twice now. I get about 1000 fame in each run on average from scratch, so unlocking characters doesnt take too long. And im hardly even good at this game.

Even if you think the game forces you to buy IAP, none of it is going to improve your game. If you cant learn to be beter at the game, you still wont progress in this game at all even if you unlock everything with IAP.

The point of playing the game is to get high scores, and to reward yourself with the unlockables. Buying your way through the unlockables basically defeats a huge part of the game's purpose.

3. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    I stay with basic and upgrade spell cast speed until the start of the peloria area in which I can get the lightning spell which costs 250. I usually end up stringing massive combos with the wizard, but have only gotten to level 70 with it.

4. Korbinian@FDG

Korbinian@FDG FDG Entertainment<br />Producer
    Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    ok, i am giving away some of my stratgies for wizzard and archer:

First of, as many people allready said, don't invest in good early on. Food gets more and more expensive each time you buy. I only start buying food around level 60 or 70. If you want to kill the dragon this is a must with nearly all chars.

For the wizzard i also buy the fire ball and then invest all into armor upgrades. After fireball i try to get lightning ball. Around level 50 you will need it since it has much higher tornado and thus will help you kill all those air enemies. in general the wizzard is good at zoning and screen clearing. Thats why i usually stay in one corner until i have a charged spell, shoot it across the screen and follow it to the other corner (picking up all coins on the way). If you keep this basic stratgey you will allready get far in to game with the wizzard.

The archer has some similarities to the wizzard because of his ranged attacks and good screen clearing power. I usually go for the first arrow and then try to get all armor upgrades. one of his best arrows is the light arrow. I usually save for that right away. If you have all armor and light arrow you are allready prepared to beat the dragon. for post dragon gameplay i would advise to get the wave arrow and train that golden arrow timing :D
    In general the archer should be used very agile. you need to be moving constantly. the trick is to focus you few on where your arrow is going to land, not on the char itself. it takes some getting used to but will boost your play alot.

Hope this helps out some people who are having problems.

5. TwelveFoot

TwelveFoot Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Out of the first 4 classes the archer is the only one I can consistently no-damage against the Royal Slime, the problem is I die about 6 levels later...

6. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Do u mean in order to clear the challenge (split royal slime into 6 pieces)? I haven't been able to do it (came closest with wizard).

EDIT: NM, just dawned on me that u meant getting the 10k bonus for not gettin hit during battle.

Anyway, what's the best way to clear the royal slime challenge? I'm stuck on it

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The best way is to skip it. It's one of the most difficult challenges in the game, as Royal Slime is one of those bosses with the most random factor in it which adds to the difficulty of killing him flawlessly.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I completed it about second try with the ol' wizard

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I did it with the wizard too, but it's still one of the hardest things to do in Slayin.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Psh, whatever :cool:

11. TwelveFoot

TwelveFoot Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I think I did it with the wizard too, being able to control whether you attack it or not is a big benefit in that quest.

I definitely wouldn't call that the hardest quest.

12. regs

regs New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Any guides or online resources for Slayin'?

I've been scouring the web for some resources for this game, and I can't find any to save my life. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm looking for walkthroughs, upgrade guides, etc. anything that can help me progress further in this game. I'm usually better than average at these kinds of games, but I can't even make it to the Dragon. I feel like there's a crucial element of strategy that I'm neglecting.

13. Inane311

Inane311 New Member

Jan 30, 2014
    #633 Inane311, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

I've managed a scaleless dragon kill run with everyone but archer, and I'm getting close with him as well, so I feel qualified to give some input here.

General information:

1. The secret to going far in Slayin' is getting and maintaining combos. Taking damage is a fact of life for most of the game; however, once you are healing due to gold drops, you'll survive a lot longer.

2. Don't buy meat for at least 50 levels. If you are comboing correctly, you shouldn't need it even beyond that point, but the point is to extend your game, and since meat increases in cost with every purchase, it's best to save it for levels 60 and above.

Knight

Get a combo going, asap. My best runs start with getting the light foot dagger for 140. The boosted speed should help to enable your combos in the early levels. You should be able to pay for it at level 11. Next, take the light foot rapier for 250 gp at level 21 or 26. Same speed, longer length. Helps immensely when you are getting mobbed by faster enemies to have more length. Next, you can get the lvl 1 armor. It's a second health bar and heals with gold or meat. Try not to let it break as you'll need your gold for other projects.
    Your final weapon purchase should happen at lvl 51 with the 500 gp legendary sword. Very Long range + lightening strikes. From here you are slow again so watch your health, and be especially careful when jumping. If you get an opportunity to get lvl 2 armor when your level 1 is at high health, take it, otherwise, now is the time to meat boost your armor. However, you may need to deal with a break by now. Lvl 1 armor costs 80 to start, but rises to 150 after level 50. So again, be careful and watch your combos. Once you have legendary and level 2 armor which makes u fast again, you should be a combo machine. Ride that train to the dragon. And don't let the armor break.

Side note: Unicorns past level 30 or so linger for a few frames after being hit and will damage you if you keep running at them, unless you turn around immediately after poking. Mages don't have this issue, and knaves deal by letting the unicorn hit the back knife while knave runs away. Archer doesn't worry, tamer usually has a big enough disjointed hitbox, and ninja has fire fox scroll and shadows, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Mage-Ninja to follow

14. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Any idea how long it'll take for an update for the random glitches that have been mentioned?
    The three original characters having a fast running animation in boss rush is distracting. So is the archer's bow not being attached to his hand when running against walls and when hit by
    the dragon's roar.
    I thought I might as well ask.

15. Inane311

Inane311 New Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Mage:

Knight is the easiest character to pick up; knave is the easiest to get a high score, and then there's the mage who, while pretty good, is deceptively difficult to use. I finished scaleless runs with knight, knave, tamer, and ninja before i stopped dying with the mage in the 30 levels leading up to dragon. Having said that, she's fun to use.

Mage is all about learning how to charge spells at the right time while mainly focusing on how you are using your whirlwind. As always, combos are crucial and the ranged attacks are critical for maintaining them, but so is learning to use whirlwind's invincibility and knock back effects. Once you get a hang of firing spells the moment they are charged and whirling around trap walls, you should go far with the Mage.

Mage's basic upgrade path is simple. Get flare for 40 gold at level 6, armor level 1 for 80 gold at level 11, armor level 2 for 150 gold at 21, and lightening ball for 250 gold at level 31. Flare is a great spell with excellent ground control and combo potential, and it would get you through the whole game, except that you can't hit fliers. Lightening ball increases the whirlwind's height giving you an answer to the fliers, while maintaining flare's superb ground control. All the other spells available before lightening ball other than flare, are effectively useless. Especially the ice spells. Just don't use them.

After lightening ball, you have a choice. You can either stick with the lightening ball and get level 3 armor for 500 for fastest casting, or you can get ruin of the ancients, the ultimate spell, for 500. Both choices have merit, but in either case this choice happens at level 51.
    The upside to Ruin of the ancients is that it's a ranged spell that hits fliers. It also goes in front and back of you, allowing some new crowd control flexibility. It also can hit underground enemies. On the other hand, you do lose some ground clearing ability, which may make things difficult until you learn to understand how to use the 4 spiraling balls of hurt. The benefits of fast cast on the other hand are obvious.
    I prefer, Ruin of the ancients because it gives flexibility when dealing with harpy. Again though, neither choice is bad.

After this, it's just a race to the dragon. Admittedly, it is very easy to die as a Mage during the 50's, so be patient, recognize that you are more reliant on the whirlwind than your ranged attacks.

Knave-Ninja to follow

16. Inane311

Inane311 New Member

Jan 30, 2014
    #636 Inane311, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Knave

Everyone's favorite combo and gold generator. At first you think he's a 2 knife knight with no armor and crappy jumping. Then you realize you don't need armor with all the gold you'll be earning.

I like to get stiletto for 120 at level 11, armor level 1 at level 16 for 80 gold, armor level 2 at level 26 for 175 gold, cinquedea for 375 gold at level 36 or 41, armor level 3 for 500 at 51 or 56, then lucky strike for 680 as soon as possible (likely level 71), followed by the ultimate weapon for 750 after the dragon. Doing this, I just hit 308k while writing this guide.

Especially with Knave, it may become important to intentionally take damage in order to maintain your combos. This gets easier after level 3 armor gives the speed boost, but, rushing the economy is important enough that it may be worthwhile to pop an early food. That 680 weapon has a chance to drop large coins and the 750 weapon leaves explosive traps when you jump. While those traps were awful for the ninja, they are great for the knave post dragon. At bear minimum it grants you a safe landing zone.

Anyway, do knave, get a bunch of points, and unlock the rest of your team.

Tamer-Ninja to follow. (I kinda suck at archer. While I'm 257 or so on the leaderboard, the other archer users are better. I'll save him for the end if I can ever finish a scaleless run).

17. mobichan

mobichan Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vacaville, CA
    Great guides for the first three characters. Some other tips that apply to everyone:

1. The player is invincible for a few frames after leveling up. This is especially handy for passing through projectiles that normally force you to jump.

2. Grabbing coins increases the combo bar slightly. You can use coins to link kills and keep your combo alive.

Hope this helps. ;)

18. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for the guides. Learning this game the hard way is... Hard.

19. regs

regs New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you!

Seriously, thank you. This was a lot of work. I sincerely appreciate it.

20. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    #640 curi, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    i got 179865 points, 6492 fame with wizard. died on level 86, didn't use scale. got perfect on first 6 bosses. my first no scale dragon kill. i wrote a long wizard guide but this stupid website logged me out while i was writing, then when i submit it doesn't post, i hit back and it puts a login form instead of letting me get back where i was, and then when i logged in in another window, then hit forward on my post safari would still resubmit it but the website refused to post it even though i was sending the post to it. so, meh.

does anyone have any good tips for level 81+ for wizard? i think the key to a really top score is what you do after the dragon.

i would also be interested in tamer tips, i find him to be the worst hero. i get hit a lot when getting a new mount, and he can't hit air usually. using tamer on a slime is kinda like a level 1 wizard, but worse, is how i feel about it.

also i'll repeat two tips i'd written up.

how to farm fame

get ninja and advanced mode. buy fire fox scroll and armor 1. spam firefox, it's very easy to get a huge combo (400+ easy. i've gotten over 1000). buy food on level 86, die on 91, get over 1100 fame, fast, (720 from the "boss" which is just some extra regular guys appearing at 90) even if you play bad. this is easier and faster than other fame farming techniques. the other 5 heroes all require skill to get to level 91 in advanced mode, but for ninja it's easy.

wizard for beginners

priority 1: learn to get hit infrequently. wizard is the most defensive hero
    priorty 2: wizard struggles to combo compared to some heroes, but work on it anyway once you're good at staying alive

shop: get flare then armor 1. then at level 31 buy lightning ball (250). then buy armor 2 (150) when you can afford it. lightning ball is flare with a much taller cyclone, yes it's worth it. yes, most other spells suck. if you're good enough you could buy armor 2 at level 21 and still buy lightning ball at 31, but for newer players just buy lightning ball first, it's more important, it will help you combo a lot better in the 30s by letting you hit air enemies. you should buy a 500 gold item at 51 and not have used meat yet, if you play great. if you're newer the 500 item will be delayed, which isn't that big a deal honestly. either armor 3 or ultimate spiral magic are both fine choices. you should easily have both by level 81 after dragon, if you live that long, even if you buy quite a bit of meat.

also, contrary to the guide above, there is absolutely no need for the ultimate 500 magic on harpy, harpy can easily be done perfect with lightning ball (for the cyclone height) and level 2 armor, once you learn the fight. basically just stay between two spawn locations and if harpy spawns in the other corner, keep your distance and wait until harpy spawns next to you. harpy is nothing to worry about with patience. once you get the hang of wizard, you should barely be getting hit on bosses besides maybe a couple hits from slime, until you reach spectral rider who i think is pretty tough. then on dragon it's very hard to get perfect but you can get hit a fairly low amount once you get the fight concept. have patience!

for meat, once you get the basic idea of how to play, you can probably get to level 31 without buying meat, but even if you buy meat early it's ok as long as you still have enough money to get lightning ball at 31. then you should still try to save 150 for armor 2 even if you're pretty new, but after that you can just buy all meat and never save to 500 while learning the game.