Universal Midnight Star - an epic sci-fi shooter in 2 apps

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Geno's right-- we designed the game very specifically for touch input, so controller support is unlikely.

BUT, I'm hoping you'll dig the input scheme-- it's what we spent tons of timing tuning and making feel awesome. Your ability on an iPad or iPhone to pull off precision damage shots, shoot off armor and helmets, changing targeting and a bunch more is based on native gestures.

2. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Mike. He's been awesome to work with, and the soundtrack's kicked everything we have visually up a notch. Check out the article about Serj's work on Midnight Star here.

3. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    #23 Lerisbo1192, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    yeah i kinda saw that coming. but i really really hate everything that devs call intuitive controls on ios. i dont understand how you can target a core gamer audience when the majority of them will OBVIOUSLY (or may be its just me...) never ever want to play an fps with 1 hand!! so why not simply go the classic way??

4. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Um, Boss?

It's hard to see if you don't know the game well, but a few Beta Testers will recognize the deceased form of a Dust Superior crumpled on the left side of this shot.

[​IMG]

We've put a lot of work into (and made a lot of noise about) the AI in the game. We've also noticed a bunch of interesting behavior from the characters, given the system we developed. You never really get the same playthrough twice. However, I didn't realize that the characters would make me reconsider my in-game actions. After taking down his boss/pal, I actually felt this Renfield Trooper's confusion and pain. I'm not sure I can continue to callously blow through their forces anymore. I think the Renfields may have feelings... #crisisoffaith

Update: After capturing this moment, I got a headshot on the dude, so he was not available for comment.

5. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Are you guys working on an arena or something of the sort so we can keep playing against the enemies as they do their different animations but don't have to keep playing the storyline to do so?

6. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    You've been listening in at the studio, obviously ;). Yes-- it won't be in the first release, but Midnight Star is designed to be an ongoing content rollout (the first release is Chapter One of the arc). We have an "Endless" mode planned for subsequent releases that's almost exactly what you're talking about.

In the meantime, we will launch with Challenge mode, which will let you compete in multiplayer on the same maps as the storyline, but without a lot of the storyline stuff getting in the way.

7. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    Yesssss!! I can not wait for the release of this game! ### how many chapters will release after the first?

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! We haven't decided exactly, but Chapter 2 will be really far along by the time we even release Chapter 1, so there's a bunch coming.

9. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    PS In recognition of (and apology for) the fact that that was a terrible answer, here's a Midnight Star poster our animator David made on Friday.

[​IMG]

10. E3P0

E3P0 Member

Oct 8, 2013
    developer
    SF
    Holy cow this looks awesome. Super impressed!!

11. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! There are two other colors of the poster here (in case you prefer oranges or purples)...

12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're getting close to done on Midnight Rises, the graphic novel app that's coming alongside Midnight Star. Artist Mike Choi just tweeted this preview image of Charlie Campbell (the guy you play as in the game) with something that is not Google Glass on his head...

[​IMG]

13. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    Release date??

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We'll release Midnight Rises a couple of weeks before Midnight Star, but until we get through our next round of Beta testing, we won't have a solid date. We're coming along quickly, and if you want to track what's going down in the Beta in terms of fixes and stuff, go here.

Also, if you want to register to get the news when we go live (and to reserve your handle in the game), you can sign up in the forums here.

15. batmania15

batmania15 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Last update on that site over a month ago :(

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's fair and apologies for the delay! We were crazy going through Beta and getting ready for GDC-- new post on that is up here, and I've been doing a mini-blog with minor updates and other miscellaneous fun stuff here at The Wizard's Perch.

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're heading down the road to launch (game dev update here) as well as starting work on our second chapter (the game will roll out in Chapter arcs of story and levels).

Here's an early concept image from an environment we're building for the beginning of Chapter 2:

[​IMG]

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We just updated our Game section of the website, with previously unreleased screens. It's here and features shots from the game, the cinematics, concept art and videos. There's a glimpse at a boss, as well (notice that behind the shields are a couple of Renfield bad guys riding sidecar... and shooting at you):

[​IMG]

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    If any of you guys will be at E3 (in LA) and would like to see the game live, a few of us from the studio will be there Tuesday and Wednesday. Hit me up at [email protected] and we'll see if we can get together.

20. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We released a few preview panels last week from the graphic novel companion to Midnight Star, called Midnight Rises (written by John Scalzi, with artwork from Mike Choi and Prashant Patil). The "book" (which is a separate app from the game) tells the story of the months leading up to the mission of the MSRV-Joplin.

Here, readers will meet Dr. Bethenny Thane and be introduced to the crazy energy source that powers the ship (and causes some mischief)-- the Culp Matrix:

[​IMG]

and here, Charlie (the player-character) realized he's not dead (yet):

[​IMG]

We're pretty happy with the way the graphic novel app turned out, and we've submitted to the app store for a soft launch on it (in one territory), so we're anxious to get feedback. Had a preview of both hit last week and will hopefully do some more hands-on in the coming weeks.