Updates Are Now Treated as New Apps on The App Store!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by INNOVATTY, Nov 17, 2011.

1. INNOVATTY

INNOVATTY Well-Known Member

#1 INNOVATTY, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    I've noticed today that updates are now showing up under the "Release Date" list on the app store in all categories. I think this will give apps more exposure, however if that list gets very crowded, users may not visit it that often.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Not noticed this. I think it's a win-win.

It should encourage devs to release updates, which is good for the consumer. And anything that's good for the consumer should translate into being good for the dev.

3. spongeforge

spongeforge Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I didn't notice this too, but cool actually when you're bringing an updated. However fresh released may be obscured by this.

BUt in sum a good thing. If you keep polishing your App then you'll have more exposure now.

4. Alistair Aitcheson

Alistair Aitcheson Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing! :)

5. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Thanks, excellent information! :)

6. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Sounds great on the surface but in the good 'ol days the bogus generic "bug fix" update spam was a real problem for new apps and legitimate updates.

Hopefully Apple does a better job vetting updates this time around.

7. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Thinking the same thing. If updating an app will bump you up I can see a lot of updates being released without any real value.

8. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#8 Syndicated Puzzles, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
    This is a disaster! The only possible scenario is we are experiencing Part A and the fix to Part A will be released with Part B. Apple and anyone who has been around long enough knows this model didn' t work last time around.

So get ready for part B. Or this will be switched back quickly. This has ruined all our Xmas release ideas.

Here is a perfect example. Mac Store released Voice Email today shows up at 4:40 this afternoon in

Productivity at 10:30 the app was off the chart all togehter giving us 6 hours of exposure. Before with only the new apps showing it was between 4 to 6 days.

Wow updating apps to get more exposure sure looks attractive since the updates even get listed a few hours before the New releases.

We are depressed to say the least.

This is the wrong time of the year for such an experiment. So plan B will kick in shortly.

9. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    It might look as a good idea on the surface, but it really isn't

It's been that way before and it sucked. Don't see any reason why it would be better now. There's more new apps being released now then ever before and together with updates that will lead to a total mess

I've just checked how many games were listed in new games yesterday - 19 PAGES of them. That's close to 500 games. There's no way any actual user will scroll that much and request 19 pages to see all of them

So we'll be back to the constant "AAAAAGame" update trick

10. Kyena

Kyena Active Member

#10 Kyena, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    Totally agree with everyone who says this is a bad change. I don't get why they would go back to something they fixed.

If a developer doesn't get that updating and improving his/her app is a good idea and they need incentives to do so, then there is something wrong with their development process/idea in the firstplace.

I really hope it's just a bug - otherwise we are back to the old update spam.

11. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I can't see how anyone, other than those looking to beat the system could think about this for more than 10 seconds and think it was a good idea.