Starbase Orion - Strategies

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Red1, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
  2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the thread. I can't wait to see things pick up here. Starbase Orion is going to be an amazing iOS experience!

3. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    #3 hsthompson, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    n00b tip - increase the range of your ships by adding "Additional Fuel Reserves" to the ship's systems. Took me a while to puzzle that one out.

Now all I gotta figure out is how to increase the range of my colony ships - apparently you don't get to design those.

4. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Drag some of your workers or scientists over and make them farmers.

If you tap on the summary lines in the planet view, it will display how the production output was calculated ( for example, it might say +18 From Farmers (+2 each), and -2 Morale Adjustment ).

5. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    What determines what buildings can be built on a given planet? On one planet no matter what focus I choose it will always be a barracks, while on another planet it will always be a research station.

6. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    The focuses will look at what buildings you can build (which depends on what research you have conducted), and choose the next in line for priority in that focus.

To see what buildings you can build, switch to the COLONY tab. This will list the buildings that you know how to build, minus whatever building might already exist on that planet. You do not need to use the focuses, you can specify exactly what you want built.

Given your description, it sounds like you are refering to your starter planets. In this case, the ones building research station are likely building that because the planet already has a marine barracks.

7. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Thank you for the reply. This game is fantastic.

One more thing I dont quite understand is what determines how and when your population on a planet increases. I assume it's food production? I am in the very early stages, but it seems like every turn I get starvation on a planet because it's population increased and I need to allocate another scientist or industry guy to farming and as a result I now have very few scientists and builders.

It probably doesnt help that I colonized 3 planets that don't allow farming. :( I guess I shouldnt just colonize the first planets I come across?

8. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I think that was my problem too. I colonized 2 planets early on that don't allow farming and was getting -1 food per turn on those planets resulting in starvation.

9. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    If you colonize planets that don't produce food, they need to be fed from somewhere else. In this case, one of your fertile planets need to overproduce food, and it will automatically be ferried to the planets which need it (for the cost of 0.5 GC a food unit per turn).

At this stage, you would want to research something like hydroponics center; this building will produce +2 food on the planet which it is built, and works even on planets that do not allow farming.

Population growth is definitely affected by food supplies. If your people are starving, they will slowly die off. If your people are well fed, then they will survive and continue to have babies.

Population growth is the highest when a planet is about 50% occupied. There is a lot of room for rapid expansion, and enough baby making people to do it. It tappers off as the planet reaches maximum occupancy.

10. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Super helpful tips - thanks KittyMac!

11. Dino Castle

Dino Castle Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Public Administration
    This game is really interesting, at this point I feel overwhelmed by the game's load of options and things to do but im really really diggin this game! again, kudos to the dev! We need this kind of experiences on iOS imo.

A little question, how can you change the portrait when creating a race? at first it had the lizard race and I must have pressed something cause it changed to human but i cant seem to change it back or to anything else, thanks in advance!

P.S. also much love for all the previous and future posters in this thread 'cause im sure gonna need it !:D

12. va2k0r

va2k0r Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    How do you increase troop and colony ships range?

13. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Researching new fuel cell technology increases the base range of all of your ships.

Ships can refuel at all friendly colonies, so if you want to reach a certain part of the map you can create a string of colonies along that direction.

14. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    This is by far the best game I have ever played on ios (and believe me, I play A LOT). I have been at it for months and still show no sign of letting up - especially as you guys add new features! My two cents: I would absolutely pay for some kind of IAP to help you guys keep the money rolling in for development and I am sure I am not alone in that.

Please keep up the amazing work!

15. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks! Generally I am against IAP of any kind in Starbase Orion, but you are certainly not alone in this request. Maybe we'll think up something! :D