Facebook linking strategy?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GilmoreVisuals, Mar 28, 2012.

1. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Freelance Graphic Designer
    Cheshire, UK
    I have been looking at different apps and seen that many of them use facebook as an advertisement strategy. One app, for example, encouraged its players to sign in through facebook to get extra features in the game.

I have a few questions which I am curious to understand:
    1. How effective and what advantages are there in sharing the app on people's profiles?
    2. Are there any statistics about such things?

Any other general tips about facebook (or twitter) marketing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GilmoreVisuals

2. GilmoreVisuals

Mar 28, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    I read how many people simply reject the facebook advertisement because so many different applications try to gain access to their profiles. We will see where this goes over the next few years...

Any comments?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I just want to play games on my ipod. I dont want any games interfering or boring the pants off my friends on Facebook by advertising or posting every single top score i get. Same for twitter, i like twitter, find it very useful but i dont want to spam everyone with some ridiculous spam post about an iOS game or score i've got.

I never put in any of these details and if any of my friends starting spamming me on Facebook non stop with game stuff i would delete them.

I want to play games on iOS, not sign up to some marketing strategy for their app.

4. GilmoreVisuals

Mar 28, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    So you don't think it is very effective?

Personally, I hate it too, but if it helps get more people to find my apps....

5. Devcade

Devcade Member

Feb 23, 2012
    #5 Devcade, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    I don't like Facebook. I find it intrusive and annoying on a personal level.

So, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and put it my app just because everyone
    else is doing it, marketwise or not.

Even more reason why I hate Facebook, I find some apps, like the "With Friends" apps, won't even let
    you play their games without logging into Facebook. They're even so bold to abruptly terminate the
    app if you don't login. So, they're basically saying, surrender your personal information to us
    if you want to play our games. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Since this is a high ranking app, I don't want to see this become the norm, forcing people
    to login to Facebook to use an app. And I don't understand how they can get away with
    terminating the app if you don't login, I thought that was strictly against the Apple iOS guidelines.
    I don't like it at all.

6. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    If you don't force players to use facebook, I don't see the problem.
    You put a little icon near the score/achivement and if he want he can click.

But people tweet/facebook to their friends, only funny things. And sending your score is not very funny.

You can also offer to unlock item with a facebook/tweet. But in that case I think you should offer another solution to unlock the item in case, he don't like it (IAp, paying with virtual currency earned in the game etc..)