What kind of graphics do you like?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kohjingyu, Mar 7, 2010.

?

What kind of graphics would you like?

1. Pixel

39.0%
  2. Cartoony

37.3%
  3. Others (Post in thread)

23.7%
  1. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I want to find out what kind of graphics you guys would like. I've been criticized a lot for graphics in Cheese Collect, so I want to find out what kind you guys would like to see in a game.

Also, you can state if you like particle emitters, etc. :)

Thanks!

2. dhoo00oom

dhoo00oom Member

Mar 3, 2010
    i don't like pixel graphics, cartoon is better choice

3. Healy

Healy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Graphic Artist for Various Games
    NJ
    Pixel graphics for nostalgia,
    Good graphics for awesome,
    Artistic Graphics for WHOA,
    And cartoon graphics for alright.

4. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Great replies guys. Also, do you guys like particle emitters?

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Particle effects are probably one of my favorites, that's one of the reasons I enjoy geoSpark, Bear Paw, etc so much :)

6. timp

timp Member

Nov 11, 2009
    if you ask 100 people you may get 100 different opinions, because you're asking about personal aesthetic preferences -> "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder."

graphic design usually supports the story/style/tonality etc. of a product (eg. game, movie, ...) and is not a stand-alone thing. so the question is "what kind of style for what kind of game?"

to answer your question: particle effects, like all other elements of a game, have to fulfill a purpose (even if the purpose is to add a certain style to your game).

My advise would be to keep up the work - your style is unique. Always feel free to try new things, but not to please others.

btw. in the german store the 1star comments about your game concern the gameplay, not the graphics.

7. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore

I realise the reviews - but there have been quite a few bashes about my art as well..I'm in the midst of creating a new game - I'm sure you'll all love it! (I've said too much.)

8. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Pixel, Cell Shaded, Vector, and neon/particle FX graphics are my faves.

9. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #9 thewiirocks, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    I don't think that the art style is the problem with your game's graphics. The real issue is a lack of shading. Flat shading lacks three dimensional cues, which makes it inappropriate for any complex scene. With proper color usage it can work for low-complexity scenes (e.g. classic cartoons) as long as the contrast is good between the foreground and background. (Contrast is a cheap way of faking visual cues.) Usually this means that objects in the foreground are brighter while objects in the background are dimmer. You have the opposite, so it ends up unappealing to the eye.

Throw just a smidgen of shading on those graphics and they'll really pop and cry "professional!"

(Edit: You might also wish to look into your gameplay. A number of the reviewers seem to believe it is inadequate. Such comments suggest a core flaw in what you're doing. Make sure it's well play-tested and obtains honest feedback from beta-testers.)

10. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this comment. Each game calls for different art direction. Asking a question like this is generalizing something that's almost impossible to generalize. If you use the wrong graphics style for a game, you can totally ruin it. Graphics and gameplay should go hand in hand (especially for a market like the App Store).

That's very good advice there. I won't comment on your game's gameplay as I haven't tried it, but judging from your screenshots, I think the problem is that they look overcrowded because there's not a clear separation between foreground, background and GUI elements. You just used the same visual style for the three.

Try this, for example:
    • Add a white outline (outside of your black outline) for your interface elements, to make them pop out of the scene
    • Change your background so that it doesn't use black lines. Replace black with a slightly darker tone to that of the object (a darker brown for the brown tree, a gray or light blue for the white socks and sheets of paper, etc.)
    • Also, try to make your backgrounds cooler the further away they are. Warm colors tend to pop forward, and cool colors tend to go back.
    That's just an option I can think of. I don't really know how that would go, you should try it and see if you like it.

There are other things to consider too (like, for example, avoiding using Cocos2D default font ;)), but putting some work in the graphics temselves would go a long way.

In general, if you're not an artist and are doing your own graphics for your game, I recommend looking for tutorials and courses online, there are lots of helpful videos (free and paid) that will help you a lot.

Hope that was helpful :)

11. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Pure 2D pixels, like Metal Slug.

12. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Pixel, totally.

I also love 2.5D graphics, haha.

13. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    The greaphics should fit with the gameplay and mood. Period look a minigore or gorilla bob or hook champ. Hc would suck with cartoons.

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I like 2D and vector type graphics. I have a tendency to avoid games with blocky 3D graphics.

15. Rickardred17

Rickardred17 Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Cellshadded

I like cell shaded games like zombieville USA , 2012 ZvA, pocket god I hate pixely games.

16. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Which ever category Assassins Creed 2 falls under.

Those are the kind of graphics I prefer.

17. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I really HATE pixely graphics!
    'nuff said.

18. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm not sure if I have a preference to what the kinds of graphics a game uses as long as it makes sense and is fun to play. Geo Defense, Doodle Jump, and Hook Champ all work because they're extremely well made games with graphics that fit them. I have to give Field Runners major credit in this department though because it was one of the first indie iphone apps that had polished graphics and that's part of the reason why that game became such a huge success (and helped defined the idevice as a great gaming device) :D

19. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Thanks for all your ideas guys, I've decided..

If I can't find a good artist, I'll do the art myself. Now, it'll be different from graphics in Cheese Collect and my other games (I know some of you guys hate them.), since I'll be using a new technique. It'll be great! :)

20. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Cartoony, haha, that is what the iDevice games are all about!!