Universal RETRY - (by Rovio Entertainment Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, May 6, 2014.

1. AndreB

AndreB Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm at the ice world stage 22, it's quite fun indeed, but I still uncomfortable with the plane control , looks just difficult to make you fail

2. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    The following is a journal of events during the arduous journey to collect the most difficult coin in level 51.
    I've stitched together photos of the area.

[​IMG]

3:06 P.M. - It begins. Looks like I have to reverse facing forwards to get to the coin.

3:14 P.M. - Oh my God. Do I have to go through that narrow tunnel after?

3:27 P.M. - My attempts to go up above the coin past the moving block instead has proven to be a fruitless endeavor. The tunnel is the only way out.

3:48 P.M. - I don't believe it. I came to the end of the tunnel, only to have the exit blocked by a moving block. I can only assume that the pain I felt in this moment was worse than child birth.

3:57 P.M. - Every time I retry, I circle closer down the drain of insanity. Its darkness has become strangely warm and inviting.

4:05 P.M. - I’ve taken a break from this torment to take pictures of the layout, which I will later place at the top of this journal. In doing so, I hope whomever may find this will be able to sympathize with my madness.

4:23 P.M. - It's happened again. The moving block swiftly snuffed out my hope of escape. I felt no pain this time. I have become numb, an empty vessel of despair.

4:24 P.M. - I now accept that there is no success, only retry. This is my life now.

4:38 P.M. - I believe that I have unriddled the timing to this godforsaken obstacle. Time will tell if I will be granted safe passage.

4:59 P.M. - I've done it. There is no joy, only reprieve from my suffering.

5:00 P.M. - I struggle to stand up and then flush the toilet. I've lost all feeling in my legs.

5:01 P.M. - Onto Level 52...

End of entries.

[​IMG]

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Nice. I liked the shock reveal at the end. M. Night Shyamalan could learn a thing or two from you. :)

4. Quarkboy

Quarkboy New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    So has anyone else unlocked the "reward" for beating the last boss level (B11)... A giant cat that meows in randomized ways when you touch it?

Is that a reference to something or is it just supposed to be weird?

I'm up to 197 stars out of 201... I'm not sure I'm motivated to get the final few stars...

This game reminded me most actually of Super Hexagon in an abstract game design sense... Because as you play it your brain adapts gradually to understanding the movements necessary to win, and it has a progression where you can tell you are still getting better at the controls even after playing ~10 hours.

But I think that with level 51 and B11/B10, Rovio has exhausted the possibilities with level design. I don't think it'd be possible to up the difficulty more without it just becoming humanly impossible and unfun.
    If they do add on more levels in a future update they'll either be too easy and boring or just frustrating...

What I would like, maybe as a paid add-on, is new controls for the plane. Like "advanced" controls that give you independent axis/throttle controls. You could then replay all the levels again learning a new set of techniques.

5. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Probably just weird, although I didn't think it was completely out of place, given the pyramids/sphinx/ancient adoration of cats.

If you're stuck on passing some of the last levels within a retry limit, the game is very generous with this. You can force quit the game if your retry amount is too high, load up the game and you'll be back at your checkpoint minus any retries you performed trying to get to the next checkpoint. So you can do this to keep your retries in check throughout the level.

I'm done all stars/coins and just finished off unlocking every checkpoint. I've got 64 coins leftover because I'm stingy and waited for ads to replenish. I didn't use any silver nuts, and I think I got them all (83). Now I just do the challenges every day, slowly working toward 30 hours for the achievement. I'd like to improve on my level distances, but only when they get their act together with fixing the mess of leaderboards. For some reason, I'm only on the 4 challenge leaderboards.

6. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I was totally "meh" about this game. I was expecting it to be Rovio's Flappy Bird and as terribly freemium as the later Angry Bird games. I was totally wrong, I'm liking it very much.

7. Quarkboy

Quarkboy New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Not stuck, just not particularly motivated. I also have around 60 coins in the bank (and a ton more I could collect theoretically). I used the nuts for the last 2 levels, but I've since beaten them without them. Since I used ~200 retires or so, getting down to 150 or whatever is just a matter of playing it again when I'm not on a moving train. But vertical climbs are just not fun...

Oh, here's a challenge they should have made an achievement for: Anyone manage to land the plane on its tail and just stick there?

8. Tetrad

Tetrad Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Game Developer (programmer/designer)
    Dallas, TX
    It's 3am and I'm complaining about how ridiculously difficult one of the levels is. So I guess that means the game is good?

I've been stuck on level 51 for it seems like 500 retries now and I think I reached my skill cap.

Whatever I do I can't seem to make it up the thin vertical columns either quick enough or without crashing.

I really wish there was EveryPlay in this game so I could see other peoples' playthroughs easier.

9. Quarkboy

Quarkboy New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Vertical climbing is about getting the plane in a metastable state and keeping it there... Climb up until you've just about stalled out horizontally, then start tapping rythmically keeping your nose going up and down, but never too far up that it starts to backflip or too far down where you start gaining horizontal momentum. Just tap, don't hold at all once you've gotten to this state.
    The tapping rythm isn't equal, rather I find a "tap-tap, tap-tap, tap-tap" pattern is the most stable. You can be very slightly early or late to give the plane some left or right momentum to adjust your horizontal position.
    Do it right and you go at a slowish speed vertically and don't move horizontally at all. That's fast enough on stage 51 if you don't have to recover.

This is all easier said than done. It's extremely difficult to pull off for long periods... if you have one using a slowmo bolt is a great way to practice the technique.

10. kherta

kherta New Member

Nov 11, 2014
    There's an alternative. You can activate those moving clouds by doing a back roll, then going under them, there's a secret route there that doesn't require a vertical flight. That said, this game is made frustratingly hard to force people to buy their power-ups. Those last levels are just near-impossible without the extra lives and slow motion. It was still frustrating to finish the game with a modded apk.

http://i.imgur.com/7eDsiQF.png

11. oviazcan

oviazcan New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Finally! 201 Stars!

:) Finally! I've managed to get all 201 Stars! Does anyone know if the challenge levels are endless?

Attached Files:

12. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Wow!!! You are a masochist for having the patience and endurance to get all 201 stars.

Here's a challenge, now try beating EVERY level with zero crashes :p.

13. oviazcan

oviazcan New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Not limitless

:-O I'm sorry! My masochism has a limit! :p

14. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014
    A little bit late, but here's our first impressions review on Retry for the people, who still don't know about it.

15. Samulaan

Samulaan Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Bali
    Game Impressions

Good game is good. Don't know how come I'm behind on this one but I'm glad I'm playing it now. Better late than never.

16. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Can't find this game on the app store any more...