Developer contracts

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sufferin Jukebox, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Sufferin Jukebox

Sufferin Jukebox New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi,

Does anyone have any info or links regarding developer contracts between the team members. For example we are a 3 man team hopefully releasing our app in the coming months, and would need a contract between us covering profit distribution, rights etc

Thanks
    Sufferin

2. FlowStudioGames

FlowStudioGames Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Co-Founder
    Europe
    Recommend it

Hey, I strongly recommend to write down and sign basic rules of cooperation, responsibilities and profit share. Unless you work together for years this is always good to clarify in advance. And I do classic contracts for hire with graphic designer and coder where I also cover when and how will we schedule payments etc.

3. makin

makin Member

Oct 19, 2012
    UK
    We just wrote a simple letter of what we expected each other to do, what the profit-split would be (in %) for each of us, and that access to the sales-data for the game would be made available to each of us. I think there is a bit in there about how quick payments were to be made.

We then signed a copy for each of us (with a witness present).

Admittedly we've worked together in the past and there is a good amount of trust between us. But we all felt it was more 'real' if we did this. I don't know how legally binding this is, but I expect to treat it as a proper legal contract.

Keeping it simple means we didn't spend on lawyers or anything, and have just got-on with what we're best at (making the game).

Admittedly this is more of an ad-hoc development than a true business enterprise.

4. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i strongly recommend you contact a lawyer :)

but, describe the basics of your agreement - someone needs to be responsible for the cash flow (ie: payment from apple, et al) and there needs to be the ability for others to check the transactions and be offered payments on a quarterly basis at a minimum (you can do monthly too - but, may incur more bank costs). i setup an agreement with some of my guys and i basically had it that they needed to get $100 before i did a transfer, quarterly. everyone was happy.. but, i am used to writing such documents, if you are concerned, get a lawyer to review the documents just in case.