Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Lol..wow..standard & HD versions!

2. Chopper12

Chopper12 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ok which one would you it's suggest, bp 2, ddpbd, , or ESP 2?

3. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    esp 2

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Check the thread in tops2 (the poster above you) sig. There's everyone's favorite cave games listed in order in that thread...

5. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Just played a few credits of the original Espgaluda on MAME. Hoping it gets ported at some stage, I think I actually enjoy it more than the sequel

6. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ikaruga

*cough*

7. My favorites are

Dodonpachi Resurectin hd
    Esp 2 hd
    Bug princess 2
    bug princess 1
    Bug panic

I don't have death smiles, still waiting for a hd or universal version, anyone know if there are any plans for this route by cave?

Also, some people have asked if you can play hd versions on the iphone, and the answer is yes, and they play wonderfully on my iphone 4.

I sure cave comes out with some more shooters, because I play them almost every other day. Would like to recommend another cool non cave shmup, icarus-x which is a lot of fun too especially on the new ipad.

8. Crisluxe

Crisluxe New Member

May 20, 2012
    I also like Princess is the best

9. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Deathsmiles. It's the kind of game that'll put hair on your chest.

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #50 smegly, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    I suspect that there won't be one considering BP2 came out after they were already doing HD stuff and they didn't make an HD version for that either.

11. You're right about BP2, there's less bullets, so manuering is easier. Dodonpachi is crazy with all the crap they send at you, but that's why I like it. Just plain crazy sometimes is fun.

Anyone know Cave's next shooter is going to be? There was a rumour that they might be working on a puzzle or social networking game, but I sure hope they stick with shooters cause that is what they are awesome at.

12. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I hope they port Deathsmiles II.

13. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Do you guys prefer playing these games on the iPhone or iPad?

There are some games I prefer the iPhone (racing, inferno+) and since Cave's titles are not cheap, that would influence my decision because I'm thinking about Bug Panic or Bug Princess 2 - got the lite version of bp2, not so sure I like it on the tablet, I"d rather hear feedback from you pros :D

14. Hands down on my new ipad. With all the bullets, it is hard to become an expert on the iphone version. While I find the iphone version fun, it does seem like a different game than the ipad version.

Plus with the ipad, I can play with a stylus, and that is the way I like to play shmups because it feels like I am playing with a joystick. I can use my stylus with the iphone, but since the screen is small, it doesnt feel like a joystick to me. I cant even play my cave shooters without my stylus, it feels weird playing the games with my finger.

I would buy bug princess 2 over bug panic in an instant. I have both on both my ipad and iphone. I play bug princess 2 all the time on my ipad, in fact it is one of my favorite games on it, and bug panic does not play well on the ipad because the dual stick controls are so big and hard to reach.

Buy bug princess 2, and get a stylus, you will love it, I guantee it!

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks for the feedback! Since I won't go out tonight like planned (a lil sick) I decided to grab Bug Panic before you answered (I was playing Ballistic and Inferno but I was getting bored) and WOW the game is awesome. I actually didn't put it down until the 1st world end because of the adrenaline rush, which was already more than any other dual-stick gave me.

Since I noticed (from playing the 1st level of BP2's lite version) that Cave's games ooze quality, I thought B. Panic would be a fabulous twin stick shooter to play on the go, and I'm glad I was right :D

As for the top down shooters, I'm set on BP2 - I do have a Wacom stylus and an iPad 2, good to know it's nice to play on the tablet and the stylus tip, I'll spend more time with B. Panic and decide if later I get BP2 or the Black Label one (the premium price of the new one scares me a bit - I got Chaos Rings Omega without thinking since I love the FF series and I ended up not playing it much because ya know, no 'quest' like the Final Fantasies).

16. Probably the black label new version would be a better buy than the original bug princess 2, that seems to be the opinion in the bug princess 2 black label thread. I would like the black label version, but since I already have the original version, I probably won't buy the new version.

I like bug panic too, but since I do almost all of my gaming on my ipad, bug princess 2 is whack, and it doesnt take up too much memory like dodonpachi hd does. I would highly recommend it whenever you have an urge to buy another game.

17. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    You're right, BP2 is much better to play on the iPad, just tried the lite version here.

But I thought it looks crappy on my iPad 2 (looked fine on the iPhone 4S, and the lite version is universal), even with screen set to medium. For comparison, I got the lite version of Espgaluda HD and it looks much better to me even with the screen set to large. Is Espgaluda rendered at a higher resolution?

Thanks!

18. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Yes, both ESPGaluda II HD and DoDonPachi Ressurection HD use the Xbox version graphics and are superior, hence the hardware limitations in the description (it runs just fine on iPhone 4 though)

19. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thank you a lot, ednan. It's weird, while Bug Panic looks nice on my iPad 2 even upscaled (I use the Retinapad Cydia tweak but I tried to compare now with it on and off, only the text like the menus seem to change, so the game looks ok even at normal 2x).

But PB2 Lite... the colors looks washed out, the game looks kinda bland (the universal one) even at 'medium' screen with the borders. On the iPhone 4S it looked okay.

So I'll get Espgaluda since from what I've seen in discussions, I like the theme better than DoDondon whatever and people are saying it's not as fast paced, I don't need it now since it's been a long time I haven't played a top down shooter. I won't get it now because I found Lightning Fighter from some people saying it's better than Cave's ones - although it doesn't seem the case to me, it's a buck and I'm having tons of fun with it and it looks crisp at 2x too :D (fought three bosses and the game is really polished, but I found the first level of Esp and Dondon very elaborate so when I buy ESP I'll be able to compare).

And well if I get on this shooter craze I'll end up buying Princess too, looks good enough on my iphone. But HD ones first.

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Bug Panic is Cave's iOS original title, so the graphics are decent as they were designed for iPhone resolution. Both Bug Princess games use graphics from an arcade title designed for much lower resolution displays.