iPod Touch 3 gen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tymurt, Jul 15, 2009.

1. tymurt

tymurt Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #1 tymurt, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    asdf

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone's best guess says the new touch will be updated in September.

And there's good chances for it having 64GB, mic, camera?, faster processor, more RAM.

We really don't know yet, all we can do it guess.

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    It will probably be faster, have a vibration option, louder speakers, and MAYBE a camera or microphone.

All guesses, I have no idea.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    oh boy that sounds costly :confused:

5. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Student
    The US
    As long as it is faster and has a Camera, I'll be happy.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Most likely it will be based on iPhone 3Gs.

So take out the components from the original iTouch/Phone devices and replace with 3Gs components.

iTouch 1st and 2nd "gen" (redesigns, really, ala DS to DSlite), iPhone and iPhone 3G all used an ARM 11 CPU, PowerVR MBX-lite GPU, and 128 MB RAM. Remove all that, and replace with ARM Cortex A8, PowerVR SGX, and double the RAM (256 MB).

That's what we pretty much are assured will be in the 3rd "gen" (or, if you use "gamer speak", a true "next gen") Touch. The other stuff, like cameras, mics, digital compasses, force feedback/vibration, etc. are all up in the air.

Of those extras, though, I'd rather the digital compass, cameras, and vibration as those would be directly implemented in most games. The mic probably won't happen for very good reasons on Apple's part (selling mic/headphone combos separately, and not wanting to cut into iPhone sales).

7. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I wonder if it'll have a faster processor than the iPhone 3GS like the 2G had a faster processor than the iPhone 3G? Or maybe the 2G Touch was just an experiment to see the effect on battery life?

8. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    It should be on par with the 3GS but lacking anything phone related, rumble would also be a nice extra for us ipod users.

I doubt I could afford to buy a 3g touch anyway :p so I thank apple for making the 2g touch slightly faster then the older iphones to help keep up.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Wi-Max chip and mike. Wi-Max chip and mike. Extremely unlikely, the chip, but I might as well dream.

10. tymurt

tymurt Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #10 tymurt, Jul 16, 2009
    asdf

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I thought it might actually be cheaper, as prices for all the ipods have always been going down with each new model

12. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    I find it a little bit hard to believe that it will be cheaper because I'm pretty sure there will be cameras and a faster processor. I don't know, just guessing. :)

13. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I tried trading mine in for a 2G. All four stores that I asked at didn't let me.

14. tymurt

tymurt Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #14 tymurt, Jul 16, 2009
    asdf

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't know how Apple handles trade ups. I do know that they sell refurbished units, so there has to be some mechanism for them to take back older iPods...but I don't know if they allow trade ups or just handle the units that they'll refurb as "donations for recycling".

Regardless, you could always sell on ebay or the like. 1st "gen" iTouch models have been going for upwards of $150 or so there depending on condition, with 2nd "gen" models going up to $200. This is for the 8GB version, and used models btw. Which is really odd, as Apple sells factory refurbished 8GB 2nd "gen" models for ~$180. But, what the hell...there's a sucker born every minute and apparently they shop for used iPod touches on ebay. :p

16. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    As far as I know, you can give it to them and they will scrap out the old parts. You will get only a 10% discount on your next iPod purchase.

17. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

If it gets a camera, that'd be amazing (although I'd be sad because I probably wouldn't be able to get it) but IMO that'd be a poor decision on Apple's part. They are making the iPod Touch far too like the iPhone and although that's good for iPod Touch owners, it honestly makes the iPhone look useless because of it's hefty contract. If they add a camera and microphone, an iPod Touch would be LITERALLY an iPhone without the phone. I think a faster processor and more RAM is inevitable but along with a few minor changes like a better speaker, I don't see much else coming our way.