How's user discover your app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by shakingsheep, Oct 11, 2014.

1. shakingsheep

shakingsheep Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Director, Graphic Designer and Animator.
    Hong Kong
    Hi everyone,

We are a new indie game studio, we currently release our first game :
    Million's Lovers - Tricks, Likes, Treats

[​IMG]

The release day was 9th Oct 14 Thursday night, and it seems there is no download at all till today 11th Oct. I wonder how users actually discover the app, and looking for advice to improve sales.

There is only me in the company and freelance out the programming part. Due to the budget for the game, I have to do the marketing myself, I managed to setup a website and a trailer, is there any good suggestions how I spread this out?

Thanks for all the advices!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I found your description hard to read. Your screenshots don't really tell me much about the game. There is no trailer in the preview even though you said you have done one for starters.

The fact you are a premium game with no free version getting sales will be hard. I don't know what the answer is to getting more sales with low cost marketing when your game is paid only.

3. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong

Thanks you for the advice!! English is not my first language, and i will definitely re adjust to a better and easier description!
    And I make the trailer after i submit the game, so i think the trailer will be upload in the next version very soon, hope that will help a little bit.

and I think the marketing is definitely very hard for low budget, i can only try my best, and see what i can do...

But thanks a lot for the advices!! appreciate it! especially for person like me who only just start making the first game.::)

4. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    I start posting on forum here and set up an account on twitter, it boost me from 1 to 10 downloads a day, but it seems i can't find anywhere to boost in more, any advices?

I will send a press release to editors tomorrow, i think i should not send it today as they probably not wanna received any emails on sunday.

5. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Just posting here and setting up a Twitter account gave you 10 _paid_ downloads?

6. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    I post in the iPhone game in touch arcade, and then tweet on twitter with my trailer links etc

I don't know if that the reason, but that's all i can do :confused:

7. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014

Okay. Congrats on making $20. At least you can say you're now a game developer that is making money!:)

8. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    I think most of the developer wants more player to play their game not only about making money, but more likely the effort they put in it, they also want more people to feel how much they want to produce a good game :)

Honestly, most of the developer feels marketing or drawing people attention is the hardest part, just like a knife, you always sharp on one side only. Hows sad.

9. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    Yup, it is the hardest part. Actually making the entire game is in many ways easier. Most of us are programmers and/or graphic designers from the beginning who's trying to learn marketing. Right now I wish I was a marketing expert who had learned how to make games..:)

10. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    You just spot on, i wish I could be a genius marketing person more then ever now!

What i can do now is to hug with other game dev like myself and helping each other, doing the best we can :)

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont 'get' the title at all, the title alone would put me off if i saw it on a list of new games. Million's Lovers ? Become a 'million lover' ? Again i dont get that at all, doesn't make sense to me.

LOVE the retro pixel type art, would love to see you do a different type of game, for me personally it just doesn't appeal

I think the app description will turn people off as well...

"Your dream is to get the biggest treats ever - both the enormous meat and become a million lover! "

Doesnt really make sense, also...

"Just watch out of trees and rocks!"

Should be 'watch out for trees....'

Dont mean to sound harsh, but for me one reason you may have low downloads is the poor app description and english used. If i see that for games i dont bother with them. Same for some of the text on the youtube video, sounds a bit weird.

BUT again the graphics are superb, if this was a 'traditional runner' or even a platformer i would love it as it looks great.

12. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Thanks! that is really helpful, my english is not very good since it is not my first language, i think I should get people to help on the description. I can see how bad it will affect the attraction after you mentioned that. Thanks a lot!
    I may not change the title, but I should make a better description.

Also thank you for loving the artworks!

13. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Do you think this is better? i try to make it more simple as I think less lead to smaller mistakes, especially my english is not so good... :)

"Likes! Likes! Likes! Get a Million Likes!

MILLION'S LOVERS is an atmospheric runner. Swipe to the direction where arrow signs indicated to perform tricks. Watch out for trees and rocks. It's simple but challenging!

Playing as Jack Russell, and Shelties, unlock different tricks and tons of background characters!

MILLION'S LOVERS is a runner game with simple control, stunning graphics and beautiful music.

Now! Lets run and roll !"

14. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    Should not the name be "A MILLION LOVERS", instead of "MILLION'S LOVERS"?
    "Million's Lovers" makes it seem like "Million" is a name, not a number and it doesn't make sense grammatically to me. As I understand the game is about getting a million (1.000.000) people to love the dog?

Also, it should be "Play as a Jack Russel or Sheltie, unlock...."

Other than that the grammar and spelling seems good to me now!

The graphics is great by the way, very nicely done.

15. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Thanks you! I may not able to correct the name as it takes another two weeks to review, but i change the description which may be easier for others to understand.

Thanks you very much for helping :)

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Or should it be 'A Million Likes' ? If thats the aim of the game to get a million likes?

Well done to the dev for taking criticism on board. But i would say its very very important to get any english checked for future apps. If i was releasing an app for the Eastern market the language would have to be 100% correct otherwise people will just ignore your app and not take it seriously. So

17. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    That's how we can improve in the future! It feels so good to having people commenting and giving suggestion.

And you are right, it feels awkward when the language isn't translate properly.

Thanks again! and hope i can create a game that you interested in in the future:)
    -niki

18. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I agree on the name. That would mean I wouldn't even click to get the description. i only looked to provide feedback.

19. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    I would agree on this. "A MILLION LOVERS", or the current name "MILLION'S LOVERS" sounds like some type of sex game. And thats more my niche.:) On the other hand, "A MILLION LIKES" sounds like some type of Facebook game. Titles are tricky...

Also remember the title counts as keywords when searching for your app.

20. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Just avoid crossing the path of an angry Scytian with a sword. Just sayin'...