Universal Stone Age: The Board Game (by Campfire Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 11, 2012.

1. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Hm...what does that mean?
    No release in DE?

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    No now but later! There are some parts wrong in the German translation ...

3. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    extremely stupid, cos i'm in germany but want the english version anyway

4. tulsy

tulsy Member

May 10, 2012
    Playing on the iPad 3 - looks very good on 2x mode. If you like this game don't let the iPhone version make you shy away.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh cool. While I helped test it, I never got to play it on my iPad 3 so this is nice to know.

6. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    It is really ugly in my iPad mini, I hope to grab the universal update soon! :eek:

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Seconded... Also, I play on iPad, I like all my board game apps on iPad with a design that takes advantage of that. I also have to agree with the comment a page back about some of these translations removing the board from board games... Having everything compact is nice, but I like the feel of playing a board game in digital form and not a streamlined game in graphical spreadsheet form to the point it loses that aesthetic board game feel. I guess that makes me a board game snob or purist but for me personally, I'd like to have a board to actually play on... Or at least a virtual one!

8. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I'm playing on a retina iPad, and generally dislike playing iPhone apps at 2X. I'm admittedly a bit of a snob when it comes to the sharpness and clarity of apps. There's always that twinge of disappointment when I boot up Lost Cities on it. But I have to say, maybe due to the art style, this is the best looking 2X app I've played on my device. You can still tell it's a 2X app (it's a little blurrier than a native retina app, and of course the screen is cropped), but I am surprised at how well it holds up.

On my wife's iPad 2, on the other hand, it doesn't look so great. Much of the text is very difficult to read, and of course, the assets are blurry.

But if you have a retina-enabled iPad, I think you'll be sufficiently happy with how this one looks until they come out with a formal universal build.

While I generally think this is a great adaption of the game, but there is one big annoyance. It could be due to me playing it 2X on my iPad, but when I drag a worker to the board, it doesn't appear directly under my finger (as I'd expect) but about an inch behind it. I have to make accommodations when dragging/dropping, and it's resulted in a few misplaced workers. Wouldn't be as big of deal if the game had an "Undo" function. Note I haven't tried playing on my iPhone yet, so not sure if that issue persists on it's "native" device.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    This game implementation is top-notch I totally recommend it! Seriously I still have to play online but the use of the small iPhone screen is amazing! :eek:

10. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #30 drloony, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    If you like board games at all I would absolutely say get Caylus. My opinion is a bit biased because Caylus is one of favorite games, and the app does an excllent job of recreating it. Of course it is a Euro game, worker placement, with some of the same flavour as Stone Age. Although it's complex for some and may take a little bit to learn, not too much though
    I don't feel the Carcassone exp. add much value for the cost. With Caylus you get a whole new game, plus you can still play Carc and get the expansion another time.
    Edit: Although Caylus does go on sale periodically I believe for 2.99 or something. So you may wanna Watch List it, still worth every penny at 4.99

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #31 LordGek, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Yeah, while some iPhone retina games can pull 2x off on a iPad retina display, I have yet to see an iPhone retina game making a smooth transition to 2x on a non-retina iPad. Sometimes they can almost pull it off until some text comes up and it all falls apart.

I'm also willing to bet WoP's issue is in large part due to being played on an iPad as I believe I've seen that being an issue in other 2x games where the swipe/drag aspects don't translate quite right onto the bigger screen.

I think they did a stellar job of converting the game to iOS so I think my one whine then is more with the actual game design itself. While the game has some 4 different material resources (that is, not counting food), it seems like it does little to really distinguish them. I mean, for the most part, if something costs 3 resources you can use any you have available. The only real difference between lowly wood and rare gold is their relative difficulty to obtain. It isn't like wood is key for making structures and gold for trade purposes or anything.

12. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    There are some games that pull it off being played in 2X zoom on a retina iPad, but I agree for the most part with your sentiment. That's why I have yet to buy some games I really want(Lost Cities mentioned earlier in the tread is one). I feel like I am somehow being a snob for such standards, but it really is off putting...

13. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I fired up the game on my iPhone to see if that "finger offset" issue still exists (it does), though on the iPhone it makes more sense and see why the dev put it in that way. Playing this on such a tiny screen, your finger covers up a lot of area, so the offset helps you see where you're placing your little guy. So while it makes sense from a design standpoint for the device it was intended to play on, it works a little funny when blown up on the iPad. I'm sure it'll get rectified as part of the universal build.

You eventually get used to it, so it becomes less of an issue. Still want that "Undo" button though :)

14. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Any chance to get it in germany? :(

15. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    They will rls new version soon.

16. yippers

yippers Member

Nov 9, 2012
    How does the solo AI feel? Does it seem like it'll always be a decent challenge? I'm pretty interested in this port, but I'm sadly not much of an online player.

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    On iPad3, 2x is still very beautiful, but I will not miss it when it goes universal.

Still learning the ropes. Looks easier to pick up than San Juan and La Havre and it is fun. The AI always take the mating hut at first chance and I cannot tell if it is good or not.

I think I need to look more about the boats cause it seems that it holds the key to winning.

18. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Now that it's finally out in Germany and I got around to play it on my iPad 2, I can only recommend anybody interested to wait for the universal update! While it is absolutely no problem for me to play many iPhone apps like Lost Cities in 2x mode, Stone Age's pixelated and grainy text really hurts the eye. Ouch! I think even in iPhone mode it's not really a joy. Did they have beta testers?

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I test it on wifie's Mini and at 2x it looks fine and of course, retina on iPad3 is shiny. It is easier to grasp and more fun to play than (not necessary better) than Le Havre and such.

P.S. bug fix version out last night (my time) but it is yet to be universal.

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Anyone up for a multiplayer game?