Scoundrels: The Risky Reef (by Randy O'Connor)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by randyo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. 3mry5

3mry5 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Looking good!
    Are Islands a solid entity yet?

2. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Nope! Lol.

I'm working on that this week. :)

3. Naquatic

Naquatic Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Awesome! Are you going to be doing any streamed dev sessions this week?

4. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Hopefully tomorrow during the day!

5. Naquatic

Naquatic Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Fantastic! At the usual time?

6. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Yeah, sometime this afternoon, about 2pm PST I think!

7. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Okay, new name ideas! Like any of these?

-Sinking Hopes

-Broadsiders

-Tattered Sails

-Cannonade

-Pirate Peril

-Shipwreckers

-Lone Rogues

8. 3mry5

3mry5 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm liking broadsiders quite a lot!
    (Also what about corsairs or the archipelago?)

9. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    The Archipelago is pretty interesting, though it might be a little too artsy for what the game has become. I like Corsairs a lot, but I think it is similar to Rogues in a lot of ways, in that it's a cool simple word, but may not be the easiest to google.

Definitely leaning toward Broadsiders, though the gamer in me is bothered by the similarity to Darksiders, and also uncertain if there'd be a problem since there's apparently a band called Broadsiders.

10. 3mry5

3mry5 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Would broadside battlers (or something of the sorts) be too cartoony?

11. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Hmmm, I think Broadsiders is probably simpler and easier than Broadside Battlers. But I'll keep coming up with ideas.

And I just spent the last few hours drawing my ideas for the faction leaders that you're pirating from. Hope y'all like these: the soldier, the merchant, the tribesman.

[​IMG]

12. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Those are great! Lovin' this game, also the game now can't open on my iPod Touch 3G 32GB that runs IOS 5.1.1.

13. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Ooh, good to know it's not working for you. I'm hoping to get a new build out in a day or two. Just fixing some bugs and hopefully getting music in. A lot of improvements in the new build, including collisions! :p

14. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Let it not be said that I'm sitting on my laurels!

I'm working on the game a bunch, but it's all back-end stuff right now, basically trying to get the game clean on the inside, generating game objects in a smarter manner. Previously I just generated ships and deleted them willy-nilly, without rhyme or reason. Since the game is actually pretty small in most ways (unlike the big simulation idea), I'm trying to remove as much load time and slowdown as possible. I'm now generating all the ships and ports and much of the stuff when you load the app, then it will barely have to do any hard work after that.

But this just means that all the messy code kinda breaks the game.

So much to do, y'all, so much. :eek:

15. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    I finally got an update out to my testers! Hooray! The game is coming along quite well, though I am not "feeling it" yet. There's that zing that just hasn't hit, yet, so while I work on other things, I'm probably gonna spend the next couple weeks on that.

Anyway, here's an animated GIF!

[​IMG]

16. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Producer & Engineer @ Creoterra
    Toronto, Canada
    It looks like a fun concept and I like the direction you took artistically it really seems to fit with the theme very well.

17. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    I am still liking the game. The Dev should take a day or two or three days off in developing the game.

18. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Man, I'm getting so addicted to this game! Trying to hoard as much gold as you can while still keeping enough ammo and life to keep going creates great tension in the gameplay and makes you want to keep getting better at it to get higher scores.

A few comments/questions:

Are there going to be other types of commodities/treasure in the final game?

When you press the button for the port menu, my cannons fire. Can you fix it so that doesn't happen?

Awesome game so far and keep up the good work!

19. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    So glad you're enjoying it!

Right now there are no plans for additional commodity types, but different bonus pickups or random collectibles and encounters wouldn't actually be too hard to add, so they might be happening. A lot of the work til now has been getting systems in place. Adding content hopefully should be fun and quick (though that's what I say without having done it!).

And yeah, hopefully will fix all the serious problems over the next couple weeks.

Just added several tweaks to the game in the last few days, including better handling of ports, and now I'm testing flicking to fire cannons. Got Game Center in a couple days ago, added a speed boost button (which disables cannons temporarily), and cleaned up the way ports work a bit.

Next up is working on water and ships. :)

Thanks everyone who's following/testing/excited for the game!

20. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Hi everyone!

Progress has gone really well the last week, and just thought I'd post a li'l picture of an artistic knowledge tidbit.

[​IMG]

If you ever do art for games, one of the central tenets I've learned is to unify any elements of the art that you can. Inking style, emotional inspiration, and in this example, the color palette. Specifically light and shade color.

Whenever I add shading or lighting to objects and interface and anything in ALL OF ROGUES, I use the two circled colors. That color palette is always present, and it means that everything looks like it's shaded and lit by the same sun. Super simple, but a really valuable piece of knowledge.

Lighting everything with one color will make your game look better. Fact! (And for select times you choose to not use that color, it makes that distinction stronger and thus more useful.)

-

So that's all for now. Really happy with game progress. Hoping to maybe add some story into the game this week via speech bubbles, along with other tweaks and improvements to the game.