How long does it take to produce games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by layzerboy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    Hi guys,

wanted to get a general consensus regarding the length of time it takes to make a game.

For instance, how long did it take the guys to come up with Fruit Ninja HD?

For Canabalt, it took less than 2 weeks.

What would you say was acceptable timing to come up with a title such as Slice It, Tilt to Live or Zombie Slasher?

I know more complicated games get more time but in general is taking 3 months to complete a game such as Fragger, iBlastMoki or Subrats acceptable?

The reason i ask is because i would like to know a time frame where i can project my team to work on...

Thanks amigos!

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Well, this is not an easy question.

If your team is not experienced, you will fall in many pitfall so you need to consider adding a lot of contingent time.

If you check my games: http://www.ovogame.com
    I made Smileys in 2 weeks, but Anka took me 15 months (full time).

I'm currently working on a brand new IOS game (casual action game like Angry bird, cut the rope...) I'm planning 2 to a max of 3 month of works. I'm on my own for designing, producing, coding testing and I hire freelance artist for the art. Now, I have decade of experience in game dev, so this might be different if you are innexperienced.

Game creation take time, a lot of time. Having a prototype running is just the beginning of the road.

JC

3. Eskema

Eskema Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Programmer
    Spain
    I agree with Ovogame, each game needs it's own time, a prototype running it's only the beginning. And there's other important thing to add to the timeline, "client now wants X feature" or simply "I don't like this, let's change that".
    So a game from start to end maybe could be made in 2 weeks or 1 month, but as soon as you start changing things the time needed would be multiplied by 2

4. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    That's what i thought. Thanks guys.

When i started coming up with a game in November, i thought it could be done by end of Dec but it looks like end of Jan with new improvements, better controls, etc.

This timeline is based on a 2 men team with one designer on it full-time.

Game creation takes time but it sure is fun! To see it from paper onto the screen gets me all misty-eyed but sweat and toil along the way is to be expected...

5. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    checked out yer games - perhaps, you can turn them into Mac games for the launch of Mac store in Jan? Just a thought :)

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Thanks. Yes, I have 2 Mac games already but I haven't made them Mac Store compatible yet. I'll do it later when I finally get some free time but I won't be ready on launch day.

7. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    If I remember correctly, it was built off of an existing engine.

Also, I believe it was built in 3 phases with downtime in between. Don't underestimate the value of "downtime" in building a game.

For me at least, the time when I am not coding / creating art / etc... is often the time when I come up with the best ideas and think of ways to solve difficult bugs.

8. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Ramps is our first iOS game, so we had some turbulence, but for the most part it went pretty smooth. It took us 5 months and about 850 hours.

What I found interesting was that the amount of time invested was split almost evenly between art and visual asset creation and programming. I'm sure this ratio varies by game, though.

9. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    Do you recall what engine it was based on?

10. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    wow you guys sure clocked it in :)

if its a one man team, i figure that he/she doesnt have much to lose but when u are running a company, and overheads are hitting more than 10k a month, you start to panic...

11. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Here is a link: http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2009/adam-atomic-on-canabalt/

And a quote:

Another thing you should think about when calculating the schedule time for your game is updates. When talking to developers I doubt many of them added the time it took to develop updates. My first game, Tatomic, took about 6 months of development time, but the version that is live right now includes at least 2 additional months for the various updates I released.

12. CXS

CXS New Member

Hey there, unfortunately you're looking for the magic formula of "If I do X then Y WILL happen". In games dev (or any creative industry for that matter) estimates are exactly what they are. The formula is more "If I do x then Y SHOULD happen". ;-)

Without knowing what your idea is roughly about it would be hard for anyone to give you solid advice about it. Is it 2D or 3D? Are you starting from scratch? I think a guy on your A-team thread mentioned experience of your team members.

Having started up my own company last year, I can't tell you how slow things move. Especially as I have had to keep my normal job too.

You're going to make mistakes along the way but dust yourself off and keep going. Forums like these are helpful and there are some other indies that are more than happy to have a kind chat over email / msn / phone or whatever.

Good luck!

13. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    Answer: Longer than I think it will take.

Big Mountain Snowboarding was supposed to take 2 months. Took 6 till the first release and more months on updates.

OverPowered was supposed to take 4 months. It's looking like it is going to be a whole year by the time we get it out.

We're making two little games: Scribble Worm and Bubble Battle. Each was supposed to take about a week or two. We started them about a month ago and we're almost at the working prototype phase.

Maybe I'm just really bad at estimating or project management. This is with an engine we're very familiar with and a lot of big game experience. Make an educated guess about how long it will take and multiply it by 4.

14. Bane Games

Bane Games Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Our game took us 3 months part-time for a team of 4 developers. The rough breakdown of hours:

• Programming - ~200 hours
    • Design - ~100 hours
    • Art - ~300 hours
    • Sound - ~30 hours
    • Marketing/Press/Business - ~100 hours

I've been to a few talks by the Fruit Ninja guys (Halfbrick) and they said it took about 6 weeks to create Fruit Ninja, 2 weeks of which they spend fine tuning the "cutting" mechanic.

15. BPO_Quickdraw

BPO_Quickdraw Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/
    #15 BPO_Quickdraw, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    I'm planning to go about it by making small games with short dev times until I can use the money from those to fund larger games.

If you make 1 game in 12 months, and despite being an epic creation you're proud of it doesn't happen to sell well for some reason, you're out a year of development time and money.

If I make a game every 2 weeks, even if those games aren't epic, that's 24 games in a year. Odds are out of 24 games, 2 - 5 of them are going to hit decently. One might even be a huge hit. I can also re-market those 24 games over time, play with their prices, package them together, make some of them sequels to create recognizable brands, do cross-promotions, etc.

And if one of them doesn't sell, it's no biggie, I'm only out funds for 2 weeks worth of development. And if no game out of 24 sells good, that's a sign that I should be looking at a career in something other than game development haha

Also if you have one game in the App Store selling a measly 10 copies a day, that sucks. That's like $3,650/year. But if you have like 20 games in the App Store selling 10 copies a day, that's $73,000/year. Obviously you factor in sales fluxuations but logically the math favors a short dev-cycle system.

Then in Year2 I can use the money from those tiny games to fund an epic game. It's just hard to have that kind of patience...we all want to make our magnum opus as our first game. :)

- Quickdraw