did anyone try AdMob to promo your game and it worked?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fwish, Oct 22, 2009.

1. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

all I heard is a waste of money
    if it's that bad,anywhere to try the AD?

2. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I created a facebook fan page and did some facebook advertising, I think it helped somewhat, it certainly helped build up a nice fan base on the page.

3. We tried advertising through Admob and received a few downloads through it, but the cost per download greatly exceeded the 99 cent price of our app. If someone has more money to play around with, they could try targeting different ad copy, demographics, etc. and see if they get better results.

4. championsoftware

championsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I've got an ad pending right now. I've put $50 into it and only target U.S users on wifi networks, so we'll see what happens.

5. babyfish0226

babyfish0226 Active Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Programer
    Taiwan
    AdMob is useless now and i just change the target to U.S only.
    But the $50 is almost out.

6. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    I am biting the bullet and trying this fancy admob thing. TOFTT :) I'll let you know tomorrow what the results were.

7. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    we tried a few months back with advertising over AdMob - 100$ went in minutes and we didn't see any changes

we also tried using the home ads, similarly - no changes noticeable

so we gave up on both

8. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I have never tried admob but from experiances with apps it's in you usually accidentally tap on it instead of tapping it because you think it's cool. I've never even looked at The admob ad or come close to buying it.

9. lynardo

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    It's been 3 hours and I've gone through $6.60 @ 5284 impressions @ 33 clicks. I'm doing a slow burn.

10. lynardo

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    15 hours later
    63 clicks
    13963 impressions
    1 sale @ 99cents.
    $12.60 used up.

11. lynardo

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    #11 lynardo, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    over 24 hours later:
    $33.50 spent
    32,493 impressions
    167 clicks
    0 new purchases

It's too bad this isn't a CPA rather than CPC. I think most clickers may just be curious and click to check it out.

Admob is strange. I run house ads on my light version which says "Upgrade now for $1.99". There's a very high CTR but 0 purchases. The light version states what the full version has. Maybe it's accidental clicks (even though the game didn't require touching the screen except for menu selections).

12. Vexxed

Vexxed Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    From what I've seen, Admob is horrible from driving traffic to a game. It will _never_ pay for itself, so your best hope is that you spend so much money that you're able to get around the abysmal conversion (which isn't specific to Admob .. it's just the way these things work) and use the additional downloads to improve your rank and increase exposure on the App Store. That dollar amount is very significant and definitely shouldn't be your only method for driving traffic.

For that matter, out of all the methods for driving traffic, I think Admob (and advertising in general) may be the least cost effective. At least with the other ad options (review site take overs, etc) there's a level of brand building and awareness.

Greystripe just started a $1 CPA ad unit for iPhone apps, but unfortunately it's for free apps only.