Cubed Rally Racer (CRR) - [wip]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nocanwin, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nocanwin

nocanwin Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #1 nocanwin, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
    I've made two games for the iphone. The first, DuckNCover, was just a port of a basic flash game. I wanted to see if I could do it. The second, WPBBD, was a bigger game. I thought it would end up being PaperToss+ but based on some reviews it's PaperToss-. Although I still love it and think the mechanic is much more involved. :D

So... none of my games have done that well. Instead of just continuing on the same path, developing the game in a vacuum, I thought I'd try something different. I thought I'd develop the game in full view of the community. Thanks to some c# magic and Unity3d I've discovered that I can do both an iPhone and Web build of my game. This will allow me to post a prototype to my website and get feedback more easily. All you'll need is the free Unity3d plugin.

So I've got a rough concept for a game and an even rougher prototype. Let the fun begin!

Concept: Small racing/puzzle game. Very short tracks that are timed, but the game includes lots of them. Think Marble Madness meets Dirt. If your player runs into an immovable object it cubes apart.

Just so you know what kind of games I like. If I'm not playing CS I like Mr.Ahhhh / Warioware type games. Small, fast, simple, fun mechanics. No luck building that type of game although I've tried. Here's to learning! :D

2. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    A couple of updates to the prototype.

-controls are now wasd, no more arrow keys
    -basic gui layout is almost complete
    -rate of turn is now based on velocity
    -level0 is a playground
    -level1 is you basic/tutorial type level
    -added finish line
    -added time keeping

3. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009

I just got to an alpha stage with my latest project so I thought I'd share.

4. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    nocanwin,
    It looks like it will be good when the graphics improve. I like the idea of tons of short race tracks. The pick up of the objects, the jumps and the avoidence looks to combine for quick fun. Good luck and keep us updated. I will be keeping track of this.

5. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    #5 nocanwin, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    glad you like it. The gameplay is now based on XP. You start out with one section of track plus a start and finish. The in between sections are randomly selected. You'll probably never race the same track once you build a new one. You earn points based on time(white bar) and gas(red). As you earn XP you'll unlock more sections. You should be able to create tracks up to 99 sections long if you earn enough points.

I'll post more videos with as I update the art.

6. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    new video. new car, tree, bush and speed bump models and textures.

7. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

looks great! Would love to review when its released!

8. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    nocanwin,
    I think it still looks like a great game, love the car. Is their going to be a mode with an or multiple ai controlled cars to race against also. I like the timing idea, but if you added a second mode with AI cars I think you would get more people who buy the app. If that is not toomuch extra to add in. Just an idea to get you more sales.

9. Lazuli

Lazuli Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    This looks pretty good. Some kind of risk/reward powerup from some of those pickups could add an extra dimension to the gameplay, a speed boost maybe? Just an idea :p

10. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    thanks, I'm glad you're both liking it!

Sleb, I don't know if I'll be able to put in AI cars. I've never done much AI programming and I wanted to keep the game as simple as possible. I've been thinking about making it multiplayer. You could race against a friend if you both had the game. For now I'm focused on making as many different track sections as possible. But your idea is on the list of possibilites! :D

11. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    heh, this actually looks really cute and fun. Looking forward to it.

12. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    A boost pickup is already in, but I decided not to show it in any of the videos. I still have some physics issues to work out. You have to be very careful which ones you pickup. Get one too close to a curve and you'll go flying off the stage. :D

13. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    nocanwin,
    Just thought I would mention it. Like I said I like the idea you have and the way it is now too. The more unlockable sections the better.

14. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    cool. I'll post more videos as sections get built.

15. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    behold... the cow. Watch out or he'll get you. :D

16. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    haha that's awesome

17. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    Thats great, an awesome cow section.

18. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks great.

19. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    thanks everyone! I can't wait to get this game out. I think it's a fun little game. I'll post more videos as sections get built.

20. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    Just a quick update. The game is made with Unity and there's some confusion with Apples new TOS about using Unity. Hopefully it's still allowed. I'm going to keep developing the game and cross my fingers.