Recommendations needed - Free and good games for mac

Discussion in 'Mac App Store Games' started by darkiller, May 5, 2011.

1. darkiller

darkiller Member

Apr 17, 2011
    As the title suggests, i'm looking for some good and free (hopefully free, not exceeding $2.99 i hope - yeah, i'm a miser) games for my macbook.
    most games were developed for the pc and those few i tried on my mac were pretty sad... i've seen many great games on the iphone, but nothing close on the mac.

loved rpgs like wild frontier, demon hunter, terra - cant remember if i paid for wild frontier, but i got the free version for demon hunter and got terra when it was/is free...

battle heart n legendary wars is good too, but seems like i cant find anything similar under 5 bucks in the mac app store... wonder if you guys have any suggestions?

thks in advance :D

2. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    The Mac App Store may not be in the same league as iOS gaming in terms of free quality games. The ones that do exist include:

Shadow Era <----- My personal favourite, get it now if you are even vaguely interested in CTG (card trading game). It's free also.

ShotgunFunFun - Free also. Why not give it a try?

A Monster Ate My Homework - neat physics. Puzzle game and free.

Just check out the top free games list on the Mac App Store for more.

In terms of paid for games just check out the top charts. If you're looking for something under $2.99 you'll have to search hard for the sort of thing you're into. Mac games are generally more expensive than iPhone. :)

3. darkiller

darkiller Member

Apr 17, 2011
    yeah i think the mac app store still needs some time to develop. thks for those suggestions, i have the monster ate my HW already, i'd check the shotgun fun fun out!

i have shadow era on my iphone, does the two 'sync' with each other or smthing?

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    You con log into the same account and have the same settings, so yeah.

5. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Some more free to try:
    • Hedgewars (Worms like)
    • Dink Smallwood (RPG)
    • Buka (casual action, rather good but always break my heart and make my cry each time I lost or when I follow the story, so not a bad game but I just can't play it)

For a $2.99 budget I haven't found much, some suggestions anyway:
    • Frogatto (difficult but interesting platform game) but I'll be frank it is $.99 in App Store but you can get the game free from the dev site.
    • You Probably Won't Make It $.99 (special rude platformer)
    • The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix $.99 (Hidden Objects and a bit more)
    • NinJump Deluxe $.99 (casual, well only played the ipad game, good one, not sure for this Mac version)
    • Super Mega Worm $1.99 (casual arcade, good one)
    • Hordes of Orcs 2 $1.99 (Open TD, I haven't played it yet but read few fairly good stuff about it)
    • Samorost 2 $2.99 (Adventure)
    • Shift2 $2.99 (Casual Arcade/Platform game)
    • SteamBalls $2.99 (Match 3)

6. darkiller

darkiller Member

Apr 17, 2011
    thks for the suggestions!