Tiny Wings clones for Android: now with more more plagerism!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, May 22, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #1 arta, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #2 SkyMuffin, May 22, 2011
    Tiny Wings was already based off of Wavespark, and Wavespark off of that silly helicopter flying game that has been imitated so many times.

Newsflash: copying an idea for a game is not plagiarism, just like writing a poem about World War II is not plagiarizing from everyone else who has ever written a poem about World War II. People imitate ideas all of the time, and those who do it well with new changes or innovations deserve the money they make. It's called "competition". :\ You wouldn't call out Torchlight for "plagiarizing" from Diablo.

3. CrisisInNeed

CrisisInNeed Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Student
    Sydney,nsw,australia
    No by plagiarism he means the artwork and game mechanics. For goodness sake the first one also has a fever mode where the thing craps out stars and the second has 'night' chasing him.

4. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Yeah and the sounds in flying turtle sound like they were ripped from Tiny Wings

5. CrisisInNeed

CrisisInNeed Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Student
    Sydney,nsw,australia
    I know right?

6. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe if you have an ear infection. The joyous turtle's squeals are similar, but they are certainly not rips. And last I checked, turtles and birds are different species. This sort of mimicry is inevitable; it's been happening since video games were first invented. There were easily over 100 pong clones.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's not just the idea being copied though, its the entire game mechanic. No legal grounds for action but it's certainly going to lower public opinion of the product, which wouldn't happen with a poem.

Oh, and Newsflash: part of the reason this topic is entertaining is because it's entertaining to see Android desperately grab at the iPhones successes. No one cares if Wavespark did it first, Tiny Wings made it successful and that's what's being copied.

8. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Dillo Hills

YouTube: video

9. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    #9 Oxynidus, May 22, 2011
    There are sounds in the trailer that seem to have been taken directly from Tiny Wings. Copied, with minimal to no modification. Listen to that "Woohoohoo!" when the fever mode activates, and that "Bugeeaag" when a slide streak is broken (The first sound in the trailer). Tell me those aren't directly taken from Tiny Wings.

10. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    These clones aren't as bad as the clown that's released "tiny wings link" on android. It steals the tiny wings icon, screenshots, and app description, and apparently all it is is a link to the tiny wings website. The same "developer" has several of these "link" apps based on popular iOS games. It's entirely designed to con people out of a dollar, and blatantly violates copyright. The authors could certainly sue them if they cared to.

11. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    There are plenty of games that copy the same mechanic of another game too. I mean, there are at least 30 or so "bust-a-move" style games on the appstore. And plenty of jRPGs that all use the same menu-based system.

This isn't plagiarism-- it's just fanboys who think their magical publisher had some sort of original idea. So far, the criteria/evidence cited here as plagiarism have been so arbitrarily (omg being chased by night! omg changing worlds!) decided that it's almost laughable. It's like getting mad at THQ for stealing "health potions" from Diablo to put in Titan Quest.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go sue Popcap for "stealing" match-3s.

12. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I have to say, I agree with Skymuffin out of all of these posts.
    It's human nature to want a piece of the pie of success and we do that often with inspiration or copying of something successful.
    You can't also just bash android considering there are tons of games that copy/get inspiration from other games in the ios app store. :/

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think I already mentioned that I know there are no grounds for legal proceedings. That doesn't change how the public will view a game that's obviously just copied another in an attempt to profit from its success. There's the law, then there's gamers thinking you're a cheap, lazy cloner who deserves no respect giving you a bad name and bringing down your reputation. If I were a developer I'd take the latter just as seriously as the former.

14. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The whole point of competition isn't so that you make one good product and then no one else can. It's so people can imitate and then improve on the product. If those devs haven't changed/added anything new to the concept, then they won't make money. If they add something that is actually interesting and novel (Puzzle Quest is a great example of this) then they deserve every penny they make. That's just how the market works-- imitation is a necessity because there is always room for improvement.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree, but imitation without improvement is a thin line, and one the gaming community is constantly guarding. If it's not different enough it'll suffer a bad rep. If it successfully evolves and moves up a step to become its own entity, players will accept it.

16. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    You get a a link for a dollar? I hope if people get conned... they are refunded their money back...

17. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The android market offers a 15 minute window for the user to immediately "return" the app for a refund, so I cant imagine this kind of trick is highly lucrative. Still, the app I mentioned is currently ranked pretty high on the charts over there, so it's definitely fooling a lot of... well, fools.

18. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #18 MystikSun, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    The turtle one. Look at Patapon for the PSP. I think they ripped the background, hills, sounds, and Fever from Patapon.

19. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Wow. I understand making a similar game but that is just a kick in the balls.

According to this site, that developer (if you can even call him that) also made ripoff apps for Fruit Ninja and Doodle Jump that just link to their respective sites. They even have the balls to put in their "Doodle Jump Website" description "Horse Apps does not have any Affiliation with Lima sky." I want to find this person and murder them.

20. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Even though I enjoyed Tiny Wings I like the look of the turtle one better for some reason. Unfortunately no one can copy right game mechanics and this type of thing has happened from the beginnings of the game industry.