Comic Wars by gameMian - coming this Summer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by randall, May 7, 2010.

1. randall

randall New Member

May 7, 2010
    #1 randall, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    [​IMG] Comic Wars from gameMian

[​IMG]

About Comic Wars

Coming to the App store late this summer. Comic Wars is a game containing all your favorite comic characters on digital cards. You must use skill, strategy, and knowledge to become a Comic Wars champion. The object of the game is simple; get all Comic Wars 50 character cards.

Screen shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Youtube

Twitter

Facebook

2. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    sounds really cool.

And, not to sound nitpicky but you should probably get it moved to the upcoming games section.

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    As a bonafide comic book geek I will be on the lookout for this.

4. kissrocknroll

kissrocknroll Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    NL
  5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    *DrumRolls*

Embedded now!!

Welcome to TA randall :)
    your game has droppd a few Jawz :D

6. randall

randall New Member

May 7, 2010
    #6 randall, May 7, 2010
    Comic Wars by gameMian - coming this Summer

[​IMG] Comic Wars from gameMian

[​IMG]

About Comic Wars

Coming to the App store late this summer. Comic Wars is a game containing all your favorite comic characters on digital cards. You must use skill, strategy, and knowledge to become a Comic Wars champion. The object of the game is simple; get all Comic Wars 50 character cards.

Screen shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Youtube

Twitter

Facebook

7. PimpToxie

PimpToxie Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    You do realize it is HIGHLY illegal to used licensed characters without explicit permission from the owners (Marvel, DC, etc), right?

You are in for one hell of a lawsuit if you don't have permission to use their copyrights.

You are using images and comic panels ripped directly from the source, with no alteration or credit being given to the publisher. It doesn't take a super-genius to know that this is illegal.

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Damn, is that Huntress's new costume?

I mean, damn.

9. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    The developer of this title does not have permission to use officially licensed comic book characters. It is highly illegal to use the intellectual property of another publisher without specific copyright permissions. Developer also has an "official" thread posted here.

10. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I was really wondering about the Copyright thingy & the price... I mean if he has the license from all of them, it has to be one of the big-wigs to bring it out & how much it is going to cost all of us :confused:

11. randall

randall New Member

May 7, 2010
    To PimpToxie

Please ignore PimpToxie reply. The Developers at gameMian have already look into and established agreements with those companies and franchises pertaining to the coming release of Comic Wars. All images and recreations are well within the guideline of legal.

To PimpToxie please do not post replies stating illegal anything until you are aware of the facts. You do not work at gameMian and you are not aware of what we had to do to make this possible.

This statement is false.

"The developer of this title does not have permission to use officially licensed comic book characters."

Thanks you

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    THT ma friend is awesome news!

13. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    You are full of it.

I contacted my friend at Marvel and he passed this along to their Lawyers.

You must think me very dumb if you believe a small, personal run company can attain the rights to use Marvel/DC owned properties in retail. First of all, Marvel and DC are competetors. There hasn't been an official crossover of ANY of their characters since 1996.

Lets see these "established agreements" with Marvel and DC.

14. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    If I were you... thts a BIG if there
    I'd just wait for the app to come out to the appstore & wait for it to be there :)

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #15 LordGek, May 7, 2010
    I'm with you on this, PT, and would love to see how this would work legally. While a cute effort there is no denying it looks rather low budget and doesn't appear to use any of its own art, just scanned images from a million existing comics. Perhaps the plan is all in getting as many suckers as possible to buy into this the three seconds it takes from showing up in the AppStore to getting the app yanked? If that is the case, good going, you don't even have to worry about having the game work then since you'll be able to slink away before anybody has a chance to demand their money back and the app is pulled.

It also fills me with confidence that this is the only app ever made by Gamemian so there is little reason to see this as some cheesy fly by night operation. :rolleyes:

16. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    Hah, looks like the Lawyers I had my buddy alert at Marvel have taken action.

When trying to view the "trailer" on YouTube, you are now greeted with a message saying:
    "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Marvel Entertainment."

Comic Industry 1, Intellectual Property Thieves 0.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    But, wait, I thought he had that all squared away legally? :rolleyes:

18. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Dang!
    could not get to see DC & Marvel characters in the same game :(

19. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    why did you stop him...we could have waited and downloaded it in its first hour before its banned..and we would have enjoyed
    now we will never enjoy it
    thanks to your lawyers...

20. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    Why did I stop him?

Because I care about the comic industry and don't encourage the theft of intellectual property. Personally, as a Graphic and Web Designer, I'd be greatly offended and take immediate legal action if someone was stealing any of my work.

If you think what GameMian was trying to do isn't morally and lawfully wrong, you need to educate yourself further on the topic.

If you want to encourage developer fraudulence and theft, be my guest. But don't do so in a community which is intended to highlight REAL developers, not half assed hacks like GameMian.