Kumo Lumo Breaks Cover

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SteveLumo, Feb 4, 2012.

1. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Hello,

We are a renegade band of developers working on a new game project. It is a bit of a high risk venture for us, and you can read all about our exciting adventures at www.kumolumo.com

Your support means a lot to us all. We really want to share our experiences with the community, so if you have any burning questions just let us know.

2. Marien1

Marien1 Member

Feb 4, 2012
    why did't you put the game information in the description. some screen shot would be fine

3. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    screenshots

Good question.

We are trying to make a quality game in just 6 weeks. We are only 10 in days so don't have much to show just yet. I'll get some of our concept art up soon, and aim to get some screen shots up here in the next few days.

Thanks for your interest, and I will be sure to post all news here first ;-)

4. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    #4 SteveLumo, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Concept Art

As promised here are some of our pieces of concept art for the game.

The first is a zoomed out version of the play area:

[​IMG]

The next is the main game view:

[​IMG]

You play Lumo the cloud in this a whimsical casual game full of surreal fun. Would love to hear what you think. If you have any questions post 'em up.

Will hopefully have some live screen shots in a few days time.

PS Added a directors cut of our dev diary just for you: http://bit.ly/xPXFAD

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #5 GoofyJmaster., Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Man, I'm eagerly awaiting this game. I check you guys' dev blog everyday to see if there's new content.

I've become absolutely obsessed with surrealism ever since I started watching Adventure Time.

I think your site might be down. edit: Nope, I had a cookie overload.

6. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Thanks for you lovely comments. We are super excited about the game too.

We are trying to add something new to the blog everyday. Hopefully we are only a couple of days away from getting the game running. Will post some screen shots as soon as we can.

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Awesome! I'll be sure to check it everyday. It kinda sucks that you guys disabled comments but oh well. I'll just post here (and I guess twitter); should help garner some traffic for you guys.

This is going to be a long 6 weeks.

*I have to agree about the sticker design. It definitely seems to work better for gaming, but the bottom picture from Feb. 3 looks so awesome.

8. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Comments

Thanks Again,

You should find comments are enabled, you just click on the faint grey speech bubble next to a topics heading - admittedly it is a bit hard to see. Any problems just let me know.

If the next few weeks go by as fast as the last two the game will be out before you know it ;-) (as long as we don't get found out first)...

9. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    #9 SteveLumo, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Screenshots

So as promised, here are some screenshots from the game. This is the first time everything has been up and running (but things are clearly rough around the edges). However, we are really excited by the way things are shaping up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We love our game already, and hope you will too :)

10. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
  11. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Free to Play Promise

As you may have seen, we are nearly finished (at long last).

The game is looking great, and we are partnering with Chillingo to distribute the game.

During development we decided that we would be going Free to Play, but didn't want to exploit our players. So we devised some rules we were all comfortable with, we refer to these rules as the Free to Play Promise:

The Free to Play Promise has 3 rules.

1.If a game is free to play, you should be able to have fun playing the whole game for free. That means no pay walls on level 5!

2.If you buy something it should make your game better or different. That means you get new skills and better abilities to use in the game. It also means we won’t charge you just to play the game for a few more minutes.

3.We should not be in your face all the time telling you to spend money. That means you can play without feeling there’s a dodgy timeshare salesman sitting on your shoulder.

How do other developers feel about this?

Steve
    http://kumolumo.com/blog/

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Good rules. :)

13. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Thanks, seems we are not alone in wanting games to be fun, and not just a way of squeezing money out of people ;-)

14. Foetid

Foetid New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Stumbled across this... When you say renenegade developers you mean blitz game staff with no one there less than five years under the thin guise of being an independent team? Bit poor form to con people on here you were developing on your lonesome when you were in a company of over 200 people with designers, marketing, testers and existing links to publishing partners.

15. SteveLumo

SteveLumo Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Sorry that you think this is poor form. I don't really understand why though. Kumo Lumo was genuinely made undercover within the studio by a team of 5 developers. Yes, you are right these developers are industry veterans - actually most of the team have been making games for over 10 years. But many indie developers are experienced game makers.

Blitz is a big (independent) studio, and we do have a lot of experience. You are right too, the team have been helped by our friends in the audio team who made the music, and Sally who tested the game for us. But management did not see the game until it was nearly finished. We were lucky, they liked it.

Finally, we have never made a game just for iOS before, and had no relationships with publishers in this space. We approached Chillingo with the game, and they liked it.

We are really sorry if you feel this is some kind of con. We just wanted to free a small team of developers to make something really fun and creative. If you follow our blog you will see we have been pretty open and honest throughout development. Ultimately none of this matters, as we have created a game that we are all really proud of, and hope people enjoy playing it.