Top 5 Lists

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by csklimowski, Aug 19, 2010.

1. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    #1 csklimowski, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    Here's a collection of Top 5 lists. Why did I make all of these? Because I felt like it!

Top 5 Most Overrated Games

Minigore - One of the most repetitive and dull dual-stick shooters is somehow one of the highest-rated? What?
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene - stylish, but far too easy and monotonous as hell.
    Grokion - Great graphics and gameplay, but horrid controls and terribly imbalanced difficulty.
    Battle for Wesnoth - I couldn't stand to play through even one campaign. The graphics are very sub-par and the interface feels so... bleh...
    Angry Birds - all the levels in the world can't make up for what, at times, is aggravatingly random gameplay.

Top 5 Most Underrated Games

Phoenix Wright - PocketGamer actually gave it a 6/10! :eek:
    PathPix Pro - The ONLY site that has acknowledged its awesomeness is Slide to Play*.
    Snail Mail - An insanely fun and fast-paced racer/platformer/shooter with endless value.
    Fantastic Contraption - an ambitious physics puzzler with infinite solutions to each level and an online level/solution sharer.
    JellyCar 2 - Great controls, lots of levels, and an easy-to-use level editor make it a great physics game.

*If I'm wrong about this and there is another site that loves PathPix, PLEASE don't correct me.

Top 5 Best Ports

Phoenix Wright - A 30-hour $30 DS game for 5 bucks? Yes please...
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Who knew it would work so well?
    Monkey Island 2: Special Edition - A brilliant adventure game with a revamped presentation and great control.
    Peggle - The touch screen works brilliantly for this classic casual game.
    Galcon - Once again, the touch screen proves mightier than the mouse when it comes to 60-second RTS madness.

Top 5 Best Original Characters

Galactus from Space Miner - His dialogue is simply hilarious.
    The Bryce Family from Spider - So mysterious, and yet so human.
    Helsing and Raffton from Helsing's Fire - Two words: fist bump.
    John Gore from Minigore - he's just such a cool dude, and his voice is awesome.
    The King from Rolando - instantly recognizable to anyone who played iPhone games back in 2008.

UPDATE: Here's two more lists for you all to argue about!

Top 5 Best-Looking iCons (see what I did there?)

Carcassonne
    NOVA
    Space Miner
    I Dig It
    GeoDefense

Top 5 Best High Score-Based Games

Tilt to Live - Simple, addictive, fun. What else would you need?
    Super QuickHook - A great Racer/Platformer/Adventure game with retro style and immense replayability
    Meteor Blitz - The best dual-stick shooter I have ever played. Enough said.
    Jet Car Stunts - A time-trial racer with more tracks that you could ever want.
    Fruit Ninja - Slice fruit. As boring as that sounds, it makes for a satisfying and unique game.

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    wait... what? huh?

3. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    Your wrong. Phoenix wright isn't any better than a 6.

4. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    angry birds is easily one of the best games on the iphone. just because it's been the #1 app for months doesn't mean you have to go against the majority.
    "aggravatingly random gameplay"?
    it sounds like you might just be bad at the game.

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Amen to Minigore.

6. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    Maybe I am, but in my experience with the game, some levels can be beaten on the first try, while others have such a dependency on luck that it takes dozens of tries to get a bird in the exact place it need to be for you to succeed. I'm not saying it's a bad game; in fact, it can be really enjoyable at times. It's just that it has caused me more frustration than almost any other app.

It's all a matter of opinion, my friend. I found it to be one of the most unique and memorable gaming experiences on any handheld console.

7. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Switch Phoenix Wright with Angry Birds and that's my opinion for those two games.

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Don't see what your problem is with Phoenix. Maybe you just don't like reading.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Barry Steakfries from Monster Dash gets my vote as a top 5 character. I know it's not even out worldwide yet but I've just been playing it and this guy defines badassery. Plus his name is epic.

10. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Let's see, action adventures don't appeal to me, reading on my gaming device over a book makes no sense whatsoever to me, it has poor graphics, and the story is NOT that good.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...so he was correct?

12. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    Okay, let's go for a structured argument:

1. There's nothing "action" about it, and it has very little similarity to any adventure game you've ever played.
    2. There's more than just reading, bro. It truly makes you feel like YOU were the one who caught the murderer. Not Phoenix, You.
    3. The graphics look MUCH better in motion. Each hand-drawn character has their own personal animations, which never fail to charm.
    4. After you play for more than an hour, the story gets VERY good. Have you even played anything but the first case (which is basically just a tutorial)?

13. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    No one who doesn't like Phoenix Wright has made a good rationale for why it's a bad game. This is your rationale:

- Graphics suck.
    - I don't want to read
    - I don't like reading
    - I don't want to read on my iPod.

Welcome to the future, where graphics replace thinking.

14. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    #14 TiltMyTouch, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Look, I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm saying it's overrated. I'm definitely not saying it's crap, I have even suggested it to a user looking for that kind of game in the Mass thread. So after saying that, to answer csk's questions:

1. PW has been classified as that so that's what I refer to it. Previously I just referred to it as an adventure game. That's not really any argument though, but thanks for letting me know.
    2. I honestly don't care how the game makes me feel, to be honest.
    3. I don't care how much better the graphics are in motion or not, PW has anime-based art and I hate that.
    4. The fact the game requires me to play it for an hour just to get to the good part turns me away from it. And yes, I have played the first parts of the second and last cases.

I'm not gonna comment on da shiz at all, since he's still using #2 and #3 when I don't even know where he got those ideas from...-_-

EDIT:

And to clarify what I mean by it being overrated, what I'm saying is that this game is just too hyped up on the forums here. It does not preform well on the app store for such an "amazing" game. I'm pretty sure even Capcom is disappointed with how the game sells. It has never even broken Top 25 Games. Too many aspects of this game appeal to minority groups. For those who do like the game, I definitely do get the impression that they believe this to be a really awesome, polished game. And for this, I won't call it a bad game, and won't tell people to not get it if they express interest in the genre.

15. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    Whatever floats your boat, muchacho. That was a very well-written response and for that, I salute you. *does Edgeworth's bow*

16. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I got some of those points from other users, not just you buddy ;)

So if we used your logic of Sales showing the games worth then:
    Jet Car Stunts is mediocre
    Doodle Jump is the best game on the iPod
    Hook Champ is average.
    Fatbooth is one of the best apps available right now.
    Hoppy blows.

PW has 4 and a half star rating. The only games better than that rating are Doodle Jump, Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja. Those games are 99 cents. PW is normally 4.99. I dare you to find an app that has kept a 5-4.5 star rating and is 4.99/2.99.

I don't see how you can say a game is overrated if you haven played through half of it. The best parts come in time.

17. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    #17 TiltMyTouch, Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks, glad to see someone on the forums actually respecting other people's opinions instead of thinking that their own opinions trump everyone else's.

EDIT: @da shiz: NEVER ever use iTunes ratings as a way to judge games. There are definitely some good reviews out there, but the majority are absolutely retarded. Considering the fact that it's well-known some people give out 1 star/5 stars just based on how fast the game downloads, I don't think this needs to be explained any further.

As for the sales, I was using that more as proof to when I said PW appealed to only a minority of people.

18. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Uh that's my point -_- It shows that there were so few one star reviews and many five star reviews, so it had like no problems. Since people rate it one star as soon as there's one problem, or because they simply can.

I find that iTunes ratings are actually spot on, except when free. Not individual ratings but rather the rating as a whole. The idiot reviews cancel each other out.

19. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    #19 csklimowski, Aug 19, 2010
    Maybe I'm just in a good mood today. It's probably because I just finished the 5th case. :D *claps like Damon Gant* Don't expect the PW references to stop, though. *smiles like Redd White*

20. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    People who don't like Phoenix Wright just haven't taken the time to fall in love with it.