Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Varking, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Game releases on Tuesday, anybody else on the forums here picking it up? To be honest I am using most of the game as a stepping stone to learn the Lore behind their MMORPG before it comes out.

2. Ohden

Ohden Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    I'm considering it- recently played through the demo and have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I was impressed by the polish, depth, and loot, but on the other hand the third person perspective & camera, button mashy-combo-ey setup, as well as the quasi-open world gives me pause.... I am undecided. :confused:

3. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    You could google the live streams for it. 38 Studios handed out copies of the game so on launch day some well known streamers could play and watchers could enter for a chance to win some stuff. Give you a feel for the game without purchasing it.

4. Ohden

Ohden Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Looking for some impressions and feedback. Interested to hear if anyone has picked it up yet. I'm leaning toward taking the plunge on this one.

5. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Don't hesitate for a second if you even remotely enjoy Action/RPG titles. This game so far is spectacular! The controls feel flawless on M+KB and the visual/graphical style is terrific.

Shots from the PC version (AMD X4 635+, GTX 465, 4GB RAM):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Played the demo - I hated the shield magically appearing when you pressed the button... that's amazing magic that is!

7. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I've had a promotional copy for just over a week now and can't recommend this enough!
    While the story isn't as strong as Skyrim, the combat is top notch and probably the best I've seen in a RPG. The game kind of looks like Fable but stomps all over it in terms of gameplay.

8. Ohden

Ohden Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Good to hear the positive comments. I just got home with the last 360 copy my GS had. Those are nice lookings PC screen Kidd. I don't have a PC right now. I've been holding out with my ancient iMac, and waiting to get a PC until Diablo III releases.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Wow, awesome impressions so far then. I'd love a RPG with good combat on the 360. Skyrim definitely doesn't satisfy that, but it does everything else pretty well. Will probably be getting it this weekend. Lol, I sure hope it plays better than the Fable series, since Fable III was trash.

10. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    It's honestly becoming tougher for me to find faults in the game the more I play.

From the smooth camera angles to the silky controls, visuals and special effects, it all just comes together into a fantastic experience. Def. one of the best games i've played in a long, long time.

11. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Grabbed it for the 360 after playing the demo on both the PC and 360. The controls felt a little clunky for me, especially navigating the menus on the PC. I gotta say so far the game is great, while maybe not the best looking game or has a fantastic story, it's fun. Combat is fun and fluid and the fact that you can keep respeccing is great.

However, I actually think the camera is bad, often gets in the wrong angles at times. Game is rather generic from character models to dialogue and combat may be a little too easy sometimes.

Currently going as a Might/Sorcery hybrid but planning to change to a Might/Finesse hybrid soon.

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm thinking of buying this today. Yay or nay? (and why?)

13. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    #13 Johno, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    For those on the fence on getting the game, I absolutely recommend it. Combat is some of the best I've ever seen in an RPG, and while the world isn't quite as expansive as Skyrim, I've never had nothing to do in the game. Overall, I actually think the areas of Amalur are more interesting than Skyrim's bleak landscapes (not including the aurora borealis). I've been playing as a pure mage and recently hit level 30 (cap is 40), and I absolutely destroy everything on hard difficulty. Being a mage in this game makes you feel like the powerhouse you should be unlike Skyrim. So yeah, it's well worth the purchase if you like action adventure or RPGs.

Edit: Also, forgot to add, I'm about 40 hours in and haven't even gotten to all the major cities and areas of the game, nor have I completed the main quest, which seems quite long unlike some games *cough* Skyrim.

14. Firebird2002

Firebird2002 Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This game is so much fun, I love it.
    I put in maybe around 20 hours and is currently level 19 (maybe 20 now because I turned off ps3 after I finished a large mission).
    I play as rogue/mage which is a whole lot of fun.
    Once I start using magic...
    Things seem to die a lot faster in this game.
    If you use faeblades and bow, which is my primary style, the game is a lot more tougher.
    I cannot stand those medusa/scorpion's because I have to keep distance from them and shoot them with my arrows...
    If I don't they jump all over me.

15. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Hmmm... Really? Hearing that you have played it for 40 hours and are a level 30 seems short. Took me over 100 hours to get to level 50 on skyrim.

16. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    The game isn't built like Skyrim. It's based more on combat rather than large scale exploration. The game world is still decently large and fun to explore. One thing I much prefer about Amalur over Skyrim is the amount of loot. If you love loot, you should love Amalur.