Gaming with a bluetooth keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by debtOFskittles, Apr 9, 2010.

1. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #1 debtOFskittles, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    I noticed that along with the other features of the 4.0 firmware, there is support for bluetooth keyboards! What games do you think would work best with keyboard input? Would that just defeat the whole purpose of iphone gaming?

Personally, I'd love to have the option to play the roguelikes with a keyboard when I'm at home, while switching to the touch screen when I'm "abroad." RPG's in general would be awesome.

2. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, that is a pretty interesting idea. I'd say that the possibilities are definitely there, but I'm doubtful that Apple would allow for that to happen. I mean, impractical or not, it'd still be kinda of novel to be able to play a FPS with a keyboard/mouse combo (even if it was just for the hell of it). ;-)

3. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    #3 Lions, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    Imagine if the games started supporting the keyboard arrow keys for movement? Then it would be trivial to make a joystick that calls those keys.

Hell, if games started supporting the MAME keyboard system for buttons we could have access to a joystick and maybe 8+ buttons.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm not thrilled with the idea of a bluetooth gaming peripheral. First and foremost, it wouldn't be attached to the iPhone, thus making it of limited use. Using such a thing on the train would be awkward to say the least. Where would I set the iPhone? Would I have to hold the iPhone in one hand and the controller in the other? That would only be of limited use. Now, if it were attached to the iPhone then why in the world would it connect via bluetooth? Just use the dock connector. Also, a bluetooth gaming peripheral would use batteries, and since there's no obvious benefit to having the gaming controller separate from the iPhone anyway, this seems especially egregious.

5. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I definitely agree with you on that. I was mainly just saying that it'd be kind of a novelty type of addition (like look what else the iPhone can do now). :) However, with that said, I'll further reiterate that I'm sure this will never happen anyway.

6. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    True. On a train I'd definitely want just the ipod, but if I was at home, and I plugged my ipod into my speaker dock (which holds the ipod sideways) have a bluetooth controller would be amazing for me.