Edge.. no love on itunes credit back?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by oldboyjosh, Jul 28, 2009.

1. oldboyjosh

oldboyjosh New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hey all, so I purchased Edge quite a while ago, since then I have upgraded to every iphone (2g->3g->3gs). I just recently got the 3GS and was re-dling all my apps since my pc hd crapped out (have to get all apps back in itunes) and noticed Edge is not on the store again. I know this is not mobigames fault but most of the time I have owned this game it usually is not in the store.

Here is my problem. I contacted apple requesting a refund on the app being that I can not download it to my new iphone. Apple replied back saying too bad basically and told me to refer to the terms and conditions. Has anyone had any luck getting a refund on this game because it's not like we get a hard copy of the game on cd or anything so why should we be SOL if the game is taken off itunes.

I'm not mad about the money i'm out but more the principal as I have spent ridiculous amounts on apps and feel it shouldn't be a big hassle for apple to refund itunes credits for this since I would put it right back to buy another app.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Did you go to your history, and use the report a problem button for the Edge purchase?

3. oldboyjosh

oldboyjosh New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Yeahp, I went back in my purchase history and sent the message from that specific time

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #4 Booch138, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    Havn't had this problem, but that is Bullshit. I know their policies will state against it, and you'd be a fool to try and fight it. They won't change thier mind man. They just wont...

The only time they ever refunded me was for double charging a CD I purchased. And they refunded it back in like 2 days. But never had an app issue really.

5. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Do the selection "Inadvertantly purchased" or something. They think you bought it accidentally, even when I wrote they charged me twice on a game, but they'll refund you most likely.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Did you get to play the game? Did you enjoy it? If so, it's not clear to me why you think that you are owed a refund. Not to be harsh, but it was your hard drive that crashed; you should have kept a back-up. Why do you think that Apple and Mobigame should be held accountable for a loss that is your responsibility?

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I understand about the backup, but if you played a game for a couple of years, and your HD went out, and they don't carry it any more, why should they refund you. Hell, I've spend lots of money on DVDs that got DVD rot, and the stores, or the companies don't refund for that...

Refunds are not lifetime guantees - if you want that, spend lots of money on insurance for everything - then you can get refunds, otherwise - stuff happens, and learn to deal...

8. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Because the game seems to mindlessly appear on and off the App store.

It is his fault, and like I said just give up you arn't going to be able to win anything from it unfortunately. But that doesn't mean it's not bullshit.

Digital distribution ftl.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Oh I didn't read that he had it for a while :eek:

I was under the impression he never played it =/

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ... exactly how did you expect him to get credit back for a game he never had? I'm curious, Bat.

11. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Never played, not never had. :)

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Aaaah, ahora entiendo ;) Sorry, Bat.

13. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

In a way, this is similar to Amazon's 1984 debacle... just on a smaller scale. I don't care what happens to your hardware or system or whatever... buying a digital copy of something should be treated just like buying a hard copy of something.

Apple and Amazon and Microsoft and Barnes&Noble are trying to build the public's confidence in Digital Purchases, they better be a lot friendlier about this sort of thing.

Take XBL purchases for example. Microsoft refused to allow downloads of arcade games when an xbox died and was exchanged for a new one. (Had to always log into the purchasing account first. Very un-family-friendly.) Enough people complained, however, that they built a system to allow it. Ironic that in this area... Msoft is more advanced than Apple.

14. oldboyjosh

oldboyjosh New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #14 oldboyjosh, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    Well put. I don't see why people are saying it is my problem, because this shows that if I buy anything on itunes, it can be taken down and left inaccessible to me at any moment. If I had the choice of digital download or hard copy then I would be liable for choosing.

Basically this is why I have always been iffy about digital downloads. I always would rather pay more to get copies of any media at stores because I have always been paranoid of a similar situation like this. I have spent 300+ on apps but why spend more money on games and take a chance.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    So if you lose your library in a fire, you should expect to have the publishers and bookstores give you new copies of your books, or, if they are not available, refund your money?

By the way, there is a very important difference between the Kindle situation and oldboyjosh's problem -- Apple didn't delete his copy of Edge from his device; oldboyjosh did when he failed to back it up.

You can re-download any application that Apple is allowed to distribute, for free. Don't see how they can get any friendlier than that. (Now, Apple reserves the right to remove an application from all devices if it deems it necessary. That's definitely scary, though I'm encouraged that they have so far refused to do so, even when their main partner -- ATT -- has complained about an already distributed App such as NetShare.)

I just upgraded to a 3GS and was able, without a whiff of difficulty, to transfer all my Apps and saves to the new device. How is Microsoft more advanced here?

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    oldboyjosh, Edge was not made inaccessible to you; you made it inaccessible by not backing it up. Think about it: if you buy a book, there is no good way for you to create a back up. With your apps, you can duplicate your iTunes library as many times as you want and keep copies in multiple locations. Heck, you can even authorize up to five computers and keep copies of your apps on each one. All those copies are considered legal by the vendor -- much more than you can say about a duplicated store-bought DVD.

If you've spent 300+ on apps, buy yourself a cheap hard drive and back up your iTunes library. Better yet, take the apps folder and burn into a DVD. In other words, create your own physical media, if it makes you feel better.

One more thing: most PC games require you to have a copy of the disk inserted into the DVD drive in order to play. If you lose that disk, good luck trying to get the vendor to send you a new one.