What makes Final Fantasy Tactics such an awesome game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Comassion, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    So with the re-release of FF tactics on the PS3 (and other platforms, but that's where I play it), I got to thinking: Why is FF tactics better than most other games in the same genre (like Disgaea)? What it is about FFT that stands out and keeps us coming back for more? I've seen other posts on this forum that indicate I'm far from the other person playing through it again.

Is it the difficulty level? The mix n' match customization? The storyline? The Engrish job reports?

What do you think? (and if you think there's a game in the genre that's better at what FF tactics does, let me know! I haven't played them all, and I'd love to take a crack at it.)

2. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Orge tactics(i think thats what it was called) came before FFT and is only in the ps1

3. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    The story line is one of the finer points of this game. A dark political story that's just money. Plus the job system with the birth of sub-jobs for Final Fantasy! Had the fun loving grid based battles with a bunch of jobs to pick and choose from.

but Ogre Tactics/Ogre Battle came out on the SNES first, then Sega Saturn, and finally PS1 just so you know skyye06. Anywho I think Fire Emblem was the first tactics game to come out but naturally with a name like Final Fantasy it's hard for that one not to be the mainstream one. Which is why Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Shinning Force, etc are more of a niche product/fanbase.

4. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    who knows, but off topic, i just began playing Final Fantasy 7 again :)

5. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't know. I bought the game on launch along with a strategy guide. I think a couple reasons it was so great are what made so many of Square's games from this era great - good music, great artwork, and a dark and complex political story. Plus, the bitchy, whiney leads that have come to characterize their current games were absent.

On top of that, it had tons of character classes (I remember almost all of them being cool), items, spells and abilities. Lots of strategy. It was long too, I remember there being somewhere around 80-100 maps.

Part of the appeal was also that I hadn't played many TBS games that point, so the gameplay was fresh.

I'd be curious to see how well this holds up today.

6. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    <3 Final Fantasy Tactics, my favorite character has to be Agrias.

The game is incredibly deep with a bunch of job classes and skills. Also for the fact that you can combine skills of different jobs together, you can like create almost unique characters.

The story is definitely the highlight for me, I played the original PSX back when it came out. I felt it was leaps and bounds above FFVII (I hope I didn't set off any FFVII fanboy). The PSP "remake" is a pretty solid addition with the new jobs, scenes, and script, though the game isn't without its problem (bad port since it contains a lot of slowdowns).

Disgaea on the other hand is something I also like as a SRPG. Its pretty open-ended and the game doesn't end. I feel the gameplay is pretty fast and fun, though not quite as tactical or deep as FF Tactics.