Split/Second Coming to Idevices

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BrainGame, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    [​IMG]

The crazy destruction racing game is coming to the iPhone!

In the past few weeks, quite a few details have emerged for the console arcade racing game that is “Split/Second”. Having played the Xbox 360 version for about an hour, I have to say that this title is shaping up to be the next “Burnout” sensation for racing fans. Fortunately for us, Black Rock Studios is bringing us an iDevice version of the game this May.

I’ve never been a big fan of racing games. Simulators are a definite point of frustration, and arcade games aren’t bad, but never quite did it for me. What I do like, is blowing things up. In Split/Second, you do that. A lot. The entire concept of the races revolves around “power plays”, which are great at making your opponents asplode into glorious shrapnel. As you perform slides, get air, or crash into other racers, your power play meter fills up. When you near a part of the track that has a rigged object/area, you can use this power to activate an event that can both distract or completely destroy your opponent. The plot of the game revolves around fake cities that are completely rigged to be used for a reality television show. So, you know, it makes sense.

While the game is still far from launch, Split/Second looks fantastic, with surprisingly convincing explosions, and a good sense of speed. There is still plenty of tweaking to do, as right now it’s extremely easy to crash and have to respawn, but the overall look, design, and feel of the game is spot on with the console version. And let me say it again, the console version is gooooooood.

The game is going to feature 4 tracks at first, with 1 that is exclusive to the iPhone version. Based on how you play each race, there are up to 3 different paths you can take within each track. If you save up all your power, you can hit a special red power play move that does massive damage, oftentimes completely changing the track as a result. Hence, different paths. There are also shortcuts you can open as you are racing.

Split/Second will also feature local wifi, bluetooth, and online multiplayer. It hasn’t been confirmed yet, but online multiplayer will feature 6-8 players at a time. All around I’m stoked for the final game, as the build I played this evening is laps better than the one I played at GDC. Stay tuned for the review later this May.

Source: Touchgen
    link: http://www.touchgen.net/splitsecond-hands-on
    Xbox 360 gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oirFKi6Sfo

2. BrainGame

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    i was looking for the old post about this game but i can't seem to find it so i just made i new one... looking forward for this one... looks awesome :D

3. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Game looks ****ing amazing. I can't wait for it to come out on Xbox and iPhone. :D

4. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Too may racers!

Also that guy in the vid sucks :p

5. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Haha, it's the camera I'm guessing. :)

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

...or both? :p

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Should come out on May 18th.

9. WunDaii

The graphics suck. But it's an early build.

10. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    They still have 5-6 weeks to fix things up.

11. WunDaii

Yeah, and from the video, the animations are pretty poor. However, 5 weeks away from release... the game is at a great stage.

12. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    It wouldn't have been so bad if the guy could actually play the game and if the explosions didn't look terrible. They really need to work on those and the animations.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Not too impressed. Just doesn't have the feeling the trailers for the consoles give.

14. BrainGame

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    not impressive at all (basing on the video), crash & explosion animations aren't good,... at least they could have made the graphics close to NFS:Shift's (3gs version) + car damages (PSP-Burnout) ... *crossing my fingers... :D

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

yea, if only EA would help them do the graphics... because both Need for speed games on the iPod look amazing! :p

16. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    #17 italodance, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  17. diabolus

diabolus Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Photographer
    Switzerland
    I like racing games very much, but this one is a bit boring, I think..
    The graphics are not really new, the gameplay was probaby taken from Asphalt 5... But we'll see. I 'm ready to pay up to 99 cent for this :)

18. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I can';t wait for this game on consoles, and I was especially happy to see an iPhone version coming out. It looks like a mix between Burnout and Full-Auto, and maybe a tiny hint of Stuntman, though I can't say for sure on that one.

Looks fun :)

19. mrgoodkat

mrgoodkat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    This game is a big fail, ugly graphics and gameplay looks really bad. Just like The Fast and The Furious: Adrenaline: Fail.