How do you organize your ios games and apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ethanp, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Hey so my ipod is fairly cluttered and I haven't really organized my apps since since i got it. How do you organize your apps on your ipod/iphone/ipad?

2. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmm, folders are myfriend- i only have one page for my home screen- i keep critical stuff on top, and the rest in folders:

Top row:
    [Calendar] [Sleep Cycle] [Calculator] [Clock]

Second row:
    [ProHDR] [Notes] [Net utils folder (youtube etc)] [Tools folder (facetime etc)]

Third row:
    [Gamer folder (12 games on rotation, permanent SFIV:Volt...)] [Travel folder (language apps)] [Novels folder (books and graphic novels)]

Erm, and that's it... I probably won't run out of space any time soon, since i have room on there for 5 more folders...

3. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    First page is all the included apps and a few news ones (no folders), plus the 2 games I am most into.
    Second page is all folder full of games by category. Third page has folders for other apps and the included apps I never use.

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    ^ Mine is similar to Inju's. The 1st page is mostly the default apps + a couple games that I play frequently. The 2nd page is all folders, categorizing my games by genre. I don't have too many non-game apps, so they all fit into a couple folders. I think after that, I just have a bunch of games that I haven't played or tested yet, so I haven't gotten around to categorizing a lot of them.

5. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I can't decide if i want to split them into folders or just have all my top played apps on the first 2 pages and then ones i play occasionally on the following 2 pages. I wish there was a way to preview a change on itunes before it changes on the i device

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    How many apps you keep is going to be a big factor. If you're the type who axes every game after you're done playing, then there's probably no reason to even bother with folders. OTOH, if you're very packrat-ish, then you're going to need them unless you want like 10 pages on your screen. I'm actually considering substantially raising my cutoff for keeping games just because it's all starting to take too much screen space. I don't even have that many apps compared to some people, and it already bothers me. I don't know how those with 300+ apps deal with it, haha.

7. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I tend to keep all the apps that i paid for and only the free games that i really like. Right now I have 93 games and some apps. I'll keep my home page more or less as it currently is. Maybe I will add some folders.

What titles do you use for folders? Like some examples? Casual? Platformer? Racing? Sports? FPS?

8. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Ugh, This post has been done before.......

Maybe show some screenshots?

9. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Here you go

Attached Files:

10. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Ahyea, I've probably answered a ton of these type questions already but will comment that it'd be nice if the 12 count folder allotment would get bumped up some. Way too many folders listing genres by name and then a number.

11. iTracki

iTracki Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    FolderEnhancer is my friend. I put my most used apps, such as social networking apps and Mail, Safari, etc. on my home screen, then two folders: 1 for utilities, one for games. I have about 200 games and 50 utilities.

On my dock, I have music, Wunderlist, App Store, and Textfree.

12. ShallowHal

ShallowHal New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks for the tip about FolderEnhancer!

I usually split mine up between Utilities, Video/Books/Audio, and Games.

13. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Doesn't folderenhancer and most other add-ons that screw with your layout prevent you from using iTunes to sort and prohibit you from restoring your icon layout after a firmware restore? Has that changed at all?

14. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    You have mentioned one of many reasons why I would never jailbreak my device.

15. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with it, I'm jailbroken and I choose not to install anything that messes with my layout for this reason. Five icon dock doesn't mess with your layout, the fifth icon doesn't show up in the iTunes app sorter and after a restore it just kicks the icon out if the dock. Earlier experiences with things that change the layout more drastically always resulted in having everything resync alphabetically.

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #16 backtothis, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Default Apps on the first page, followed by genres listed in alphabetical order, sometimes more than one folder for each genre if needed. Then, I also put each game within the folders in alphabetical order.

Those three games are outside my folder since my adventure, strategy, and platformer folders are full. Going to have to delete one from each folder to make room, heh. Just resynced those first two since I wanted to play them again and bought Blobster just for the heck of it entering the top 10 on the paid games chart. 209 Applications and 78.6 MB left on my 32 GB at the moment.

All of these games are paid and unplayed/unfinished since I delete a game as soon as I've finished it unless there's multiplayer. Got a long way to go cutting down my backlog by the end of summer. But yeah, since I'm over OCD about my genres and not keeping games outside folders, I force myself to go through games because of this every week when I buy new games. Love the AppStore, lol. Can't wait until we're allowed to make folders on iTunes, but that's not too big of a problem since I keep my quota of apps/games at 375 on there, meaning I have to go through and delete lots of games from there weekly as well. Consequently, I just have a treasure trove of good games on there, and nothing I wouldn't want to play if I resynced them.

Edit: Oh, I'm also OCD about having at least 9 games in each folder so they show up as full, lol.

Attached Files:

17. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    If there is one thing I am OCD about, it is never having a full page. I always like to leave 1-3 spots open on the bottom row. It works out well right now, but I have 12 gigs free and no games I plan on deleting anytime soon. Unbelievably, besides having to puzzler folders which is given, the only other folder that was full so I had to move some around was my "pixels" folder. I remember thinking I would never buy an old-school pixel game when i first got into the appstore. Huh, I think League of Evil was what changed that for me. No I simply have to buy every decent pixel platformer out there.

18. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Factory default.

It ain't broke and don't need no fixin' ...

19. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    My puzzles folder is tiny because most of them are in my favorites folder. :D

20. Will011

Will011 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    #20 Will011, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    How do you classify an adventure game, a casual game, a strategy game, a platformer and an action game? What games fall under those categories?

Thanks