iCade freaking out

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brokendemo, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Brokendemo

Brokendemo Active Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I love my iCade. I tell all my friends about it, I play it everyday, it makes me a happier person. Which makes it so much harder that it just stopped working right. Since there are not many iCade owners out there just yet, I thought I would turn to the touch arcade crowd for help.

In short, the red buttons are not working. I didn't change any settings, or install anything weird. I just loaded up Velocospider yesterday and when I hit the fire button, the whole game freaks out, starts pausing over and over, and then the whole thing dissconects from the iPad. Upon further experimentation, I found that all the other buttons and the joystick work just fine, its just the red buttons. If I go I to notepad, the red buttons lay out weird strings of letters, different then what it is supposed to do. I've tried switching to new batteries, messing with the keyboard settings, and even pairing it with an iPhone (which brings the same results).

I'm out of ideas, and worried I am going to have to return it. I really don't want to, mostly because I am lazy and pulling it apart and repacking it sounds awfully unnecessary. Any thoughts out there that might help? Similar experiences? A lost cause? I have an email in to Ion, but the wait is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!

2. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Try re-installing the app and make sure your ipad keyboard layout is set to qwerty layout as the ipad thinks the icade is a keyboard and is set to qwerty layout (Uk and US)

3. Brokendemo

Brokendemo Active Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Re

Tried all the keyboard stuff, set to all proper US settings. The problems do not seem to be associated with just one app though. I am getting the same weird red button freak out (new name of my band!) in every app, even Notepad. I also tried pairin the icade with an iPhone, and all the same problems were there. In fact, I can only pair the thing if the code I get doesn't involve hitting a red button. I feel pretty sure that the problem is the iCade. Is there any way to update firmware or restore to default or anything with a Bluetooth keyboard?

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I don't know of any firmware updates for the bluetooth keyboard, sounds like the icade itself if it's affecting every icade supported app. My best advice is to wait to see what Ion have to say or get the unit replaced.

5. Brokendemo

Brokendemo Active Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I think you are right. I have an email into to Ion, I'll see what they say, but it seems like something got messed up with the programming somehow. Is it safe to say it is a rare error (assuming thats what happened)? Anything similar happen to anyone else? I'm hoping that if I have to replace it, it will not be a big deal and the iCade will work normally for years to come.