Stunt Kite - YouTube Video - satisfy your deepest kite desires

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPhoneGlobs, May 30, 2009.

1. iPhoneGlobs

iPhoneGlobs Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    #1 iPhoneGlobs, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. iPhoneGlobs

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    No comments? :(

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    This is a unique fun iPhone only type game when most games are ports or clones of existing games.

4. I'm kind of impressed. It's simple, but well-appointed with some nice visuals and entertaining game elements. The gameplay looks easy, though it's the sort of thing I'd have to try before commenting much beyond that. However, it's got a unique concept behind it, which is points in its favour already and should help it stand out on the App Store.

5. iPhoneGlobs

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    The 1.1 release will be out next week and features a new game type as well as more configuration options.

6. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Any hints on the new game type?

7. iPhoneGlobs

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    I think you already asked this question but I was late in responding. The new game type will be AVOID. Basically you avoid black balloons and black kites will chase you. You have to then lead the black kites into the balloons, they blow up and you earn points. If you get hit by 9 or more black kites its game over and if you hit a balloon you get docked a point. Screenshot attached!

Also if you have any other ideas for game types I would love to hear them.

8. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    The controls take a little getting used to. I've tried a real stunt kite and couldn't get it off the ground, so this is definitely easier than that. There are 3 levels of difficulty. The easiest I found kind of boring. The middle one was the sweet spot for me.

The free play mode where you can just fly I found kind of dull. I guess I need more of an objective, so I was glad to see the balloon popping game. That one is entertaining, though I get turned around and l confused when the kite is moving downscreen (right becomes left, left becomes right).

I haven't tried Race mode yet.

The graphics are a mixed bag. The kite is quite realistic in its appearance. The background imagery, however, is lacking. Since there is no movement in the background (beach with waves frozen in place, for example), it looks and feels like you are playing in front of a painted wall.

Overall, 4 stars. The controls take a little bit of getting used to, but feel right. You get a sense of kite flying, so props to the dev on that. The kites look good, but the backgrounds are lacking.

9. iPhoneGlobs

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    Thanks for the feedback!

Yes fly mode is just for getting used to the controls or if you are severely uncoordinated.

Actually one of my future updates was going to be adding in background animation. Just didn't want to start working on it if no one was asking for it.
    I want to add in boats, planes, birds, waves, clouds but with only 60 downloads so far its hard to commit a lot of time to that just yet. I figured I would focus on adding more game types first but I was hoping to get some ideas on what people want to see.

10. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    You could release a Kite Trainer version with just the fly mode.
    Adding background animation would be great. :)

11. iPhoneGlobs

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    Yeah but I think most people would agree that just flying around gets boring and would assume the full version did not offer anymore modes of play. If I do a lite version it will have to have some way of allowing a demo of all game types without giving to much away. I was thinking maybe limiting the score for each game type. Not sure what the app store will allow me to do. My last experience submitting a lite version took over a month.

12. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Could be time limited.
    http://appshopper.com/games/60-second-survivor-lite
    Note: Lite version allows you to survive for 30 seconds maximum.

13. iPhoneGlobs

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    Yeah thats a good idea! I wouldn't want people to think the full version had a time limit though. I'd have to put in a message when time is up that says lite version time limit reached or something.

So do you have any ideas for new kite game types?

14. shawntwolf

shawntwolf New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    iPod Touch Developer
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I am so excited!!

I can't believe there's a kite lovers game for ipod touch. I was working on developing one, but I can use this now. Do you guys like it?