Universal Star Horizon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Orbital Knight, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orbital Knight

Orbital Knight Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    Hi everyone!

We would like to show you trailer from upcoming space shooter -Star Horizon. It went public today and we have hope Touch Arcade community will like it:)

a short backstory:

We journeyed into the stars a long time ago.
    We have been building battleships for ages, ready for alien intruders.
    But we never find any. We are alone.
    So we created a different kind of conflict.
    Fighting each other became a new way of living until we made one mistake. We built AI to help us discover our doom.

This is where you start in Star Horizon. You play as John who doesn't fight to rack up kills or for honor and pride. At least not anymore. He just fights to survive and get the whole thing over with. His ship is controlled by Ellie, an Artificial Intelligence which is programmed to help pilots stay mentally strong throughout the war and which cannot kill human beings.

Federation is about to turn the tide of the war but then things start to go wrong. Mothership is destroyed and Ellie puts John into hibernation for 1000 years. Now he will have to discover what really happened and maybe, but just maybe, save the galaxy.

I hope it sounds interesting and you will like the trailer! The game is very easy to play as we don't use virtual stick - you control the ship by swiping on the screen.

I'll be happy to answer your questions about the game!

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This looks fantastic! Not sure how I feel about swipe controls in a game like this but am still extremely impressed with what I see.

Main question: Is this on-rails like Arc Squadron? Looks like it is but Arc Squadron is still one of my favorite space combat games on iOS.

Second question: when is this coming??

Would love to beta test if you are still in that stage of development.

3. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    Hey there! Thank you for kind words. Yes this is on rail shooter. We decided that thanks to this it will be much more about pure action and not flying around trying to catch the target:)

It is coming out 20.03.2014 for iOS devices as a exclusive for some time (we will reveal the release date of Android version later on). There won't be any beta test, however we will check the forum rules again and if it is allowed;-) we can make arrange some kind of a contest here with few copies and other prizes!;-)

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Sounds great. Will this be a premium app?

5. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    Hey,

Yep, this is premium - $3.99 game, IAP free

6. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    Looks great, guys. Keep it up :)

7. FuurinRei

FuurinRei Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2014
    This looks great! Will def buy when its out :)

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Premium space game?! Definitely on my watch list! Looking forward to the 20th :D

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Great to hear! So, it's been submitted to Apple and the 20th is set in stone?

Really looking forward on this one!

10. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    you know, those days nothing is set in stone, however we feel pretty comfortable with this date, and since game was already submitted few days ago and it looks pretty polished we are looking forward to it:)

11. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Wow the trailer looks really stunning. Count me in!

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    So I noticed you said it controls through swiping on the screen (I assume with your right thumb since weapons are on the left). Will it be more of a relative touch control scheme? Where moving your thumb around in that corner translates to the ships movements?

Also will there be an auto fire option for your primary weapon like in arc squadron?

Lastly, will there be lots of weapons and upgrades? :p

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Looked at that trailer again and this is seriously now my most anticipated release. It's going to be a grueling two and a half weeks.

Guess I'm going to have to break out Arc Squadron again to get my fix of on-rails space blasting.

14. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    Hey there! Thanks for questions:)

Yeah, you don't have to use the whole screen to control the ship;-) I said that only to underline you don't have to stick... to the virtual stick! So you move around with moving your finger and to perform dodge you need to make quick move/swipe

Nah, there is no auto fire. It is very cool to shoot your opponents, launch swarm missiles when more of them are on the screen and target the one who survived and shoot him with lasers:) auto fire would kill that I think...

When it comes to number of upgrades I won't hide we focused on letting you actually feel the difference between weapons and not on quantity - so if you like to have 50 different weapons you might be disappointed, however I bet when you hear music in level 9 with all those upgrades on your ship you will put your headphones and get excited!

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Fair enough, I like doing that too :p

Ahh, ok makes sense now. I think I was just overthinking the wording.

So a smaller amount of more varied weapons, each with upgrades? Sounds good to me!

One last question: So assuming from the trailer that you have a primary and a secondary weapon, will the primary always be a basic laser bolt attack ala Star Wars and basically everything else? Or can that change? And will your secondary always be some sort of missiles?

16. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    This game looks awesome and reminds me of StarFox, lol!
    But what's very important is the supported iOS!
    Please tell me that you're supporting 5.1.x for this game! If so, you've got an insta-buy customer waiting in the wings!

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks stunning, one little thing though ! I'm surprised the weapons are on the left as most people who play it will be used to using the left area to move around and then select weapons on the right

You only have to look at any similar games, or Call of Duty type games on iOS or even platformers. Controls on the left, fire/jump etc on the right. Think that could be an issue

Graphically the game looks stunning, dont even care if its an 'on rails' shooter, it looks amazing

18. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Looks promising this!

19. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Oh, not at all. I think I'm much more accurate with my right thumb while the left one is only needed to tap and launching weapons...at least in an on-rails shooter. Like in Dead Trigger 2's turret scenes where the fire button is switched to the left side to be more precise with aiming on targets.

Maybe make an option to choose between these two control styles?

20. Orbital Knight

Mar 3, 2014
    Making games;-)
    Poland
    We put a lot of work in testing the controls to make them very intuitive and easy and it looks like it is much more convenient to have wagons on the left side, however of course we understand there are left handed people so there is an option to switch sides. No worries!