Universal [Old Freemium Version] PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX (by Bandai Namco Games America

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    #1 PeteOzzy, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I thought I bought this one for like 5 bucks years ago?

3. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Does that look like a life-timer-based IAP system? Interesting.

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Ahhhhhh!!!! The PS3 Version was pure arcade perfection! Going to download this now and check out the freeness of it.

5. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It's pretty much Pac-Man Championship Edition DX DX as it's not the same game as the first DX. I played that game to death on three different platforms and almost none of the screens are in the original. The energy bar doesn't fill me with confidence but it'll still be a short play on a classic game in the worst case scenario :D

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't want to live on this ****ing planet anymore. I swear, I was scrolling down the page thinking "DON'T BE FREE, DON'T BE FREE, DON'T BE FREE..." and then...*facepalm*

7. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Way to dampen my enthusiasm. :/ Was hoping that this would be free with a full unlock or something similar. And it isn't even the console DX? Excitement factor has to dropped to 4.

8. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    (initial thoughts, will play more)

Oh man, NOPE. The swipe-to-move controls are fine. Like, I can do that with no problem. Swiping is great. But to activate the bomb, you make the photo-zoom-out reverse pinching motion. Are you SERIOUS? The only times you would need a bomb are when you're going to die right now, no chances, no room for error, you are dead - and they chose one of the most awkward motions you can make with your phone, one that fails half the time? Brilliant! And wait... the bombs are on a timer? Use all 3 and wait 15 minutes for another?

:-|

9. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm really enjoying this, I know I'll be in the minority though. There's an energy bar but it's one of those ones that only decreases when you die and I don't think I've ever died in a CE DX version of Pac-Man in my life. I'm notoriously bad at games too so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. There's a ton of slow-mo time given to you if you get close to a ghost and the courses are laid out in such a way that you'll only struggle to avoid them if you take a weird detour for no real reason.

It's got the classic gameplay but it's not set out like the original, which is a shame, but given that I've played the XBLA, WP7 and W8 versions to death at least it feels a little fresher in format. The main map layout is the traditional Candy Crush-style layout which for some reason irks me even though it's not necessarily a negative; I think it's just the residual connotations of the King games rubbing off on me.

If you've played any of these games then you'll know exactly what to expect, though the approach to levels is slightly changed - there are still arcade cabinets that allow you to play the traditional score attack options but you have to play through bite-size levels to reach each one. You can play them an unlimited number of times though, providing you don't die. If you haven't played a CE DX version of Pac-Man and don't really like the classic game then don't be put off - I'll be declared a heathen, but I'm not really a fan of it; however, these versions play so much faster. It's more of a twitch avoidance type game.

I'm not defending the freemium aspects by any means, I'm just tired of some of the over-reacting that sometimes occurs in the gaming world. I'd much rather it was paid of course and the timers on lives and bombs is pretty annoying. The pinching to bomb is an odd resolution to touch controls; the Windows Phone original was great using double taps, not sure why they didn't go with that. The two timer bars can be extended through using the currency earned by playing. The rate of earning is pretty stingy but it's nice to see it's possible without paying. No option to totally remove them though sadly.

As much as I'm enjoying it though, I'd suggest seeing it as a demo for the paid games as they're definitely superior.

10. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I declare myself the hugest Pac-Man whore in the USA!! No GC, no problem, timers, no problem. I have the console version as well as a similar iPhone only version. Roll on 11pm and you will be mine!!! Waka Waka chomp chomp!

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    With Bandai Namco was there ever any doubt of freemium?

12. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    The original Pac Man CE (iPhone/iPod only) was completely different than the console version of Pac Man CE. It was premium at $4.99. Of course that was before Temple Run and the freemium days began.

13. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    IAP in pacman? Do they have to ruin one of my childhood games?

14. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    Oh no! They took a classic arcade game you had to pay 25 cents per play session every time, amounting to perhaps hundreds of dollars over 30 years, and made it free? THEY RUINED VIDEO GAAAAAAAMES.

15. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm not seeing the game on the UK App Store; is this a soft launch?

16. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    #17 DonnyDJ76, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    Love your post! (Actually millions :))

17. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    #18 DonnyDJ76, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    I hope not:(. It wouldn't show up there until midnight. I'm waiting to see if it shows up here at 11 Eastern...

Sanuku-thanks for the video!!

18. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    It looks like a soft launch only:( Not out in the US

19. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach